Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking out Enemy Sunderers Like a Proper Jihadist. Err, Freedom Fighter!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking out Enemy Sunderers Like a Proper Jihadist. Err, Freedom Fighter!

Once again, in the interest of science, I just spent some time in the VR (one of my favorite places in game actually, as a (mad) scientist :)). I have yet to use any C4 or cert it whatsoever yet, but I thought it would be a good way to kill Sundies and other things. I have seen it used to break a well set up defense (of ours) by Peter Pan (LA) flying into a room and blowing all of us up with a brick (or 2?) of C4. Like using the shotgun (which I also used to hate but have since adopted), anything that enrages you will also enrage the enemy. And therefore these are tactics that we should be employing against them as well. I think the flying LA C4 trick in a room or Bio Lab can be devastating. But you can only apparently carry max (2) bricks of C4 as an LA, so you are limited to only those tactics. You cannot take out a Sundy as it now takes a minimum of 3 bricks I believe (or 2 and a rocket shot, or additional mine, etc.). And since Sundies are such an important target usually, personally I think I will be spending my C4 certs initially in the direction of Engineer (if you want to troll people though, go LA C4, people really hate that, lol; maybe they rage quit or get frustrated, that helps our team)(if you don't like the term trolling, consider it Psy Ops, there now it fits within the TG Primer ;)).

So, if you want to carry more C4 than an LA can, you have to be an Engineer (with upgraded pouch (suit slot)). The Engineer can carry up to 4 bricks of C4 at max upgrade. This is enough to take out an enemy Sunderer. But how to get the C4 onto the Sundy? LAs can fly, how is an Engineer supposed to get his ordinance onto the target without getting killed? Observe...

Aaahh, brings you right back to the good ol' days of playing insurgent in PR, doesn't it? lol

I think you can use only (3) C4 to kill a Sundy if you put it directly on the Sundy. But maybe because of the Flash being in the way or something it requires (4). I did try with (3) and was unsuccessful.

Incidentally, further experimentation showed that (2) is the magic number to kill an enemy heavy tank. I tested on a Magrider, but I'm sure a Prowler would be similar. Also, tanks would most likely be moving, making them harder to hit (when "ghostriding the whip" lol) than a deployed Sundy. So I would recommend taking the time to flank around and do your final approach from their blind side.

Another point, if you don't have the required C4 (4, say you have only 2) get with someone else in the platoon who has the other (2) C4 required to make (4) total. Load them all up on the Flash and off you go. The ones you detonate will detonate all of them and kill the Sundy.

Expensive

OK, you can do whatever you want in VS, for free. But I just looked into the cert investment to do this. Wow. It takes 700 certs to get your utility slot up to level 2 for (2) C4s. After that, first level suit slot (pouch) for 200 certs gets you to (3) total C4. After that, another 900 certs to get your suit slot up to level 3 in order to carry the max (4) C4s. That makes a grand total of.... 1800 certs. OK, so now I know the next thing I will be saving up certs for... lol Although that's not really too bad, I already saved up 2300 to get my Adrenaline Shield to max level for my HA... :) Also, taking out enemy Sundies is very important. So I will be making the investment into this.

In the meantime, yeah, anyone else have (2) C4 they can lend a hand with? Let's buddy up and take out some Sundies. :)

Another twist

Something that just came to me. Put the C4 on an invisible Flash with an Infil on it. Infil put (2) of their own C4, Engineer friend add (2) of his C4, let the Infil go and cloak on final approach. They won't see it coming at all until he jumps off, and by then it's too late. Unstoppable? Discuss...
    Last edited by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL; 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: Taking out Enemy Sunderers Like a Proper Jihadist. Err, Freedom Fighter!

I like it, but the infil has bouncing bettys and to my knowledge no C4. But I'll look into it when I get home. I love ticking off the enemy, just my nature I guess but this will certainly do it (like shooting down their lib's with canons, they hate that). I have my acquisition time fully certed on the flash so we could send a train at them.

Let's face it, it's not as bad as hiding under the sundy and shooting guys as they spawn as I've seen some Vanu do.

Comment

@Rage,

Oh you are right. I was thinking about the LA, who can have max (2) C4. Well, an invisible flash would have to work in a close team with an Engineer then to pull that off. The Engineer would have to have visual in order to watch the Flash all the way in and then hit the trigger. He also may TK the Infil if the Infil rides it all the way in or doesn't get off in time. It would take some coordination, but that would really be unstoppable. Meet me in VR some time to practice? :D

@Everyone,

I had the idea earlier to possibly substitute tank mines for some of the C4, due to the high cost of certing C4. Some others had this idea as well as we discussed it in game tonight. So at the end of the evening, I went into VR to try that out. Turns out the tank mines are not "sticky" like the C4 is. They don't stay put on the back of the Flash, they just slide off. Oh well. Maybe next time I will try bouncing betties + C4. Or, just wait until I get the certs to get my 3rd and 4th C4. :)
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It used to be possible to put tank mines on the frame of a reaver, then fly them into a target and hit the brakes to deploy them. You could even kill liberators this way. Then they made the mines really heavy, causing them to drag the reaver down if you tried to take off. Ah, well.

I've got my engineer kitted out with almost full explosives, atm. 3 C4, 4 AT mines, or 2 AP mines as the situation calls for it! The C4 does NOT need to be directly on target to do enough damage, but it DOES need to be close. Yesterday, I found two sunderers parked side by side in a hanger (hee hee hee) and blew them up with the same 3 C4 bricks before a swarm of enraged TR descended upon me. Good times.

Typically I've been okay just delivering C4 on foot, but that involves an understandable amount of getting shot in the face. I've seen the Flash trick, but haven't really tried it myself. That might be a good approach. Having someone ELSE drive the Flash is probably a good idea though. Aside from the obvious benefit of having OTHER people explode instead of you, the biggest problem with C4 is that it's useless if you're dead and it isn't exactly the speediest deployment. Working in tandem with someone else means that the detonator stays at a safe distance and is unlikely to be disabled by the operator getting shot in the head.

Comment

Does Blockade Armor reduce the destructive force of C4 then? I remember if you ran Sundy's you always ran Mineguard for the AT mines, but now it seems C4 has become more prevalent

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

that does look more effective then shelling it with my vanguard. if you get shot off of the flash do the bricks still stay on the flash?

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
              Does Blockade Armor reduce the destructive force of C4 then? I remember if you ran Sundy's you always ran Mineguard for the AT mines, but now it seems C4 has become more prevalent
              Not sure about that, but good point. Also Serj, one of the things they have updated since then is you can no longer drop mines on a Sundy (or other vehicle) that is standing still and have them detonate. They have to drive over them now, as it should be. That's why I never invested in Mine Guard, only Blockade Armor.

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post
              that does look more effective then shelling it with my vanguard. if you get shot off of the flash do the bricks still stay on the flash?
              That is a good question. I think I heard someone say the other day that when you get killed your C4 disappears. Definitely need to find out about that. Using a second person (invisible Infil + Flash) to be the driver would alleviate that, if he got shot off the Engineer with the detonator could still blow it. Not to mention the invisible bit. I think that really is the way to go all around. Just seems unstoppable to me.

As an aside, whenever possible I would recommend approaching the Sundy perpendicular from broadsides as it gives you a little bigger target if you have to dodge bullets, etc. on the way in or if you get shot off, the Flash will still have a good chance of coasting to the Sundy so the Engi can blow it.

Comment

I don't believe that C4 disappears when you die. Instead, I think it disappears when you respawn (that is, if you're revived you can still detonate placed C4, but if you respawn it's lost). I'm not 100% on that, though.

Either way, the C4 placer dying is not helpful!

I really like the idea of using a cloaked flash for this kind of tactic. As you say, it sounds pretty brutal. Tough to see coming, instantly fatal to a hugely important asset, tough to counter in time if you DO see it, and easy to pull off. The engineer doesn't even need to watch the flash go in... he can hide behind a rock and wait for the infiltrator to signal him.

Okay, now I really want to try this.

Comment

Question is then Randy, can you detonate mines by shooting them? Can the same be done with C4? (which I think it can with c4, not with mines though)

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can detonate mines by shooting them. Same with C4 I believe. So if the Flash rider gets killed, but the Flash gets close enough to the Sundy, and they are stupid enough to try and get rid of the Flash by shooting at it, then I think BOOM goes the Sundy anyway.

At any rate, sounds like there are a lot of unknowns in this field of study at the moment. Let's get in game and do more experimenting with explosives and report back our results. :)

Comment

I don't believe that C4 disappears when you die. Instead, I think it disappears when you respawn (that is, if you're revived you can still detonate placed C4, but if you respawn it's lost). I'm not 100% on that, though.
                      This is true.

I see a few Infil./Engy combo units on the horizon. The Infiltrator just needs to make every attempt to get clear of the explosion so we are not using suicide tactics.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've been meaning to ask about that. I definitely see the basis for a "no suicide tactics" rule in most games, but why is that carried over into Planetside 2? In terms of the game lore, the Auraxian battlefield is unique in that death is completely impermanent, which would lend itself to suicide tactics. Exceptions to the "no suicide tactic" rule have been made for other games under the TG umbrella (the Insurgency mode in Project Reality for instance, where one faction had entire vehicles and kits DESIGNED for the purpose). Maybe PS2 is another game where an exception would make sense?

Comment

I'll let someone higher up the food chain answer that one.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok, here's the deal. Look at it from this perspective. If you jihad jeep/suicide in the attempt to take out some important target and fail, how did that help your squad mates? Could you not have provided better sustained support to your squad mates by being close to them and not having to run back from spawn? Usually, people when start working on this tactic they think, we are going to bail before the jeep is on target, letting it coast to the target, and then remote detonate it. It turns in to, I get killed before I can detonate the jeep, so screw it, I'll drive it in. Either way, you are taking more time than it takes 4-5 heavies to coordinate take out the same target.
                            sigpic

Comment

TG doesn't use suicide tactics period.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X