Reaver squad tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaver squad tactics

My old outfit on SolTech had me running air squads for them, and we spent a lot of time experimenting with different tactics to try and make the best of our Reavers. There are already some good guides on this forum for CAS and general air ops, but I wanted to share some of the Planetside 2 specific tactics we developed in hopes they'll be useful. Some of these may not work on Matterson; after the merge we found we were playing a whole different ball game, as Matterson's AA was thicker and fighters more numerous. Even so, I think some of the tactics we developed remain valid:
    • Base of operations - I've already seen the TG air squad using this, so nothing new here, but the basic idea is that the squad has a common resupply and fallback point behind the front lines, usually a tower. The only thing we did a little differently was that downed pilots were explicitly supposed to hold at the base of operations until their timers/resources had been recovered. While they were there, they'd man AA or repair incoming fighters (allowing pilots to react faster if an enemy ESF tried to ambush them), making the rest of the squad's operations a little safer and faster.
    • Fire teams - One thing we did was to have one element of the squad pack A2A missiles and hang back from the main group. This is one of those situations where the A2A missiles really shine. The forward element, consisting of dogfighters with afterburner or rockets, would tie up enemy aircraft while the rear element with the missiles would lock on and bombard them from a distance. Enemy fighters engaged by the lead element are distracted and aren't able to run away in a straight line for fear of getting gunned down, making them easier targets for the second element. We found it did wonders for taking out enemy fighters quickly.
    • Forward bases - An ammo sunderer in the squad meant that we could have a base of operations in stranger spots on the map. Helpful for when we were running through rockets quickly and the map didn't provide any good resupply points nearby.
    • AA elements integrated into the squad - We'd frequently pull a skyguard or burster MAX whenever we felt outgunned in the sky. They provided a safe fallback route when enemy aircraft chased us, and if comms were good and a proper close range ambush could be sprung, they often meant the end of the aircraft on our six. It's important to have the skyguard or bursters within the squad, so that comms can be quick and accurate. The AA element needs to know exactly when and where enemy aircraft will be coming from, and the air element needs to know exactly where the AA has moved to.

I hope at least some of these ideas are helpful!

Re: Reaver squad tactics

I think it would be good to TG to dig these lost veins and organise such information just as Tactical Drills List is doing for tactics. I would place parts of it in an other Sticky thread, though, as it partly consists in material and personnel dispatch and partly in group maneuver.

Comment

Re: Reaver squad tactics

Sounds like the air game is really developing cant wait to get back in.^^^

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X