Infantry-only Squad Leadership with Fireteam Leader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Infantry-only Squad Leadership with Fireteam Leader

As I am going to running infantry-only (IO) squads for a while I'll document my SOPs and related instructional material in this thread.

Here is a short unedited documentary video capturing the I-O squad in action.

Last edited by E-Male; 05-21-2013, 05:39 AM.
    sigpic

Re: Infantry-only Squad Leadership with Fireteam Leader

Another interesting night of Infantry-only (IO) squad trials.

I appointed TGTodd as my fireteam leader (FTL) and began by briefing the squad in my expectations.

Of course, a squad briefing is inadequate if the essentials are not communicated to new squad members that join as the game is in progress.

So one of the first SOPs would be:

Appoint a FTL
    Brief FTL and squad members in rules and expectations.

Of course, a FTL is not essential, but I find it frees up considerable resources for squad management and enhanced situational awareness.

Note:

It can take considerable time and effort at the start of an IO squad to eliminate the weaker links from the unit.

/squad kick playername must be used liberally.

Soon enough you will have a VERY cohesive force as was noted my a squad member this evening.
    Last edited by E-Male; 05-21-2013, 05:39 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

FTL = fireteam lead?

that /squad kick command is a God send...

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
        FTL = fireteam lead?

that /squad kick command is a God send...
        Yes, fireteam lead (FTL).

And yes, effective command of squad is not possible without direct control over its membership.

/squad kick theweakestlink

I wish SOE would implement the more obvious and easy to code solution

/squad kick squadmembernumber
        sigpic

Comment

Haha I just made a post in the general section about how good this works. Excelent idea EMale and I am looking forward to doing this again soon.

Todd
          sigpic

Comment

I did not have the video recorder running (will next time) which is unfortunate as you provided an excellent example of a FTL.

Note how it freed you up from all radio concerns and you never had to stop to kick anyone as I was constantly on top of discipline and HR issues.

I intend to standardize the briefing I gave you and the squad (following John.C. Al's and Randy's example).

Also note the extensive use of grouping up prior to moving out to new destination.

I was a bit slow last night but hope to improve my own efficiency and keep the squad busier while waiting for PL orders and such in the future.

I really love how IO squads use the terrain to gain an advantage.

I find it acutely embarrassing when I look at the map and see my squad scattered to the wind, knowing how this disables the utility of my squad as a tool for use by the PL.

I remain pleasantly surprised at the expertise of fellow TG members when appointed to the task of FTL and the general willingness of regular non-TG troops to follow exacting orders.

Many players greatly enjoy the benefits of a well disciplined team, so it is not hard to gain compliance.
            sigpic

Comment

I agree. I was very disappointed when my game went south. I was having so much fun just having one task. Not having to worry about the Admin side of SLing frees up so much time to get positioned correctly and get troops to move when they need to move.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                I was having so much fun just having one task. Not having to worry about the Admin side of SLing frees up so much time to get positioned correctly and get troops to move when they need to move.
                This hits upon the very essence of the FTL benefit. The squad gets a highly focused 2IC, overall efficiency increases, and specialization increases. I have been using fireteams since 2005 and have been able to make them work in any environment.

These things lead to increased cohesion which delivers increased force ratio against enemy targets. The SL gains vastly enhanced situation awareness, which helps keep the squad out of trouble, and the fun level goes up.
                sigpic

Comment

Good vid. I must join the fun soon.

@ 1:19 bad nade...ha ha ...nice to know this is universal of all combat titles.
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Well I just have to say after leading my 1st squad tonight, I have a hell of a lot of respect for you guys that do it day-in day-out. It's nowhere as easy as you make it look.

Comment

Originally posted by Biytor View Post
                      Well I just have to say after leading my 1st squad tonight, I have a hell of a lot of respect for you guys that do it day-in day-out. It's nowhere as easy as you make it look.
                      Well done last night and thank you for stepping up!

It gets easier with practice, but it is always a challenge.
                      sigpic

Comment

UPDATE

Management of the Infantry-Only (IO) Squad or Platoon

I have started to include a bit of diversity, so as to keep the troops happy.

Every so often, upon calling for a regroup of the entire unit, I'll order a global switch to armour.

Troops are instructed to pull armour ONLY once. Upon loss of their vehicle they must revert to infantry.

This is an effective means of maintaining moral and providing an opportunity for opening an assault with massed armour followed by massed infantry.
                        sigpic

Comment

I found last very interesting in how as an infantry Platoon we were really effective and as an Armor Platoon we were wiped almost completely out in the first wave. We still had some tanks but we were much more efeective as infantry even against tanks.

I think if we had 2 platoons of just infantry with mixed arms (ie: AA, AT, AI) supported by Sunderers for respawn. We could roam the map freely and be an absolute menace to anything out there.
                          sigpic

Comment

A large part of our armour issues were that we were just using them in exactly the wrong parts of the map. That river outside the NC warp gate on Esamir is a beautiful kill zone... wide open, big hills on either side, lots of funnels for enemy armour, good cover on the high ground. On top of that, visibility was pretty bad due to the fog, and the VS troops with Lancers had a field day because they operate way better taking potshots into fog than tanks do.

Comment

I like your style E-Male. Id like to lead like that too just need to get a squad that follows orders.
                              Sadly my gaming hours arent the same as yours. And Im playing as TR usually but could do another character to play with you guys. What time are usually rollin?
                              sigpic

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
                              "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X