Visualization of Squad Cohesion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visualization of Squad Cohesion

The following is a visualization of squad cohesion within a TG platoon over the course of a three hour session on 28/05/2013. The images only capture a few selected instances of troop positioning over the evening.

sigpic

Re: Visualization of Squad Cohesion

I enjoy how you lead the platoon E-male. I noticed it yesterday that you dont always send all the squads to a point at once. Instead you leave a squad in reserve in a defensive position incase something happens which is very effective. Once I start leading a platoon I will make sure to use this tactic. Thanks!

Also TG did a great job yesterday, we were warpgated but in a few hours we ended up taking most of the map and warpgating the VS.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post
      I enjoy how you lead the platoon E-male. I noticed it yesterday that you dont always send all the squads to a point at once. Instead you leave a squad in reserve in a defensive position incase something happens which is very effective. Once I start leading a platoon I will make sure to use this tactic. Thanks!

Also TG did a great job yesterday, we were warpgated but in a few hours we ended up taking most of the map and warpgating the VS.
      Thank you for the feedback.

Almost warpgated? I signed off much too late (for me) at around 11 pm EST. What time did you play until?
      sigpic

Comment

I signed off around that time also..I thought we had cut the VS off lol my mistake

Comment

We got close, but the VS population increased and any attempt to warpgate them at that point was, IMO, doomed to failure without more hours of work.

As PL I found the evening somewhat frustrating as I never managed to find a worthy opponent for our platoon-sized force, which left my squads playing wack-a-mole and capping underpopulated enemy targets.

A pity, as early (in the very same day?) I led a TG platoon on a prolonged and tactically challenging fight at Crux Headquarters (uploading a documentary video of the assault now).

This is the constant challenge as a platoon leader: find an enemy/ally concentration that is sufficiently challenging and tactically rewarding for the platoon. One cannot be racing around the map or hopping across continents to do so (although I think I'll start sending scout Revers in search of front lines on such occasions).

Being a PL is in some ways like being Julie McCoy, "Your Cruise Director" on the Love Boat -- is everyone having a good time? You feel responsible for the quality of the platoon's gaming fun.

Captain Merrill Stubing
          "Your Captain"
          sigpic

Comment

I've always been an Isaac kind of guy myself.

but...sounds like you guys are rocking it on PS2.

Question--how much of the enemy team is made up of TG forces, if at all?
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
              I've always been an Isaac kind of guy myself.

but...sounds like you guys are rocking it on PS2.

Question--how much of the enemy team is made up of TG forces, if at all?
              Near as I can tell, only a very few poor terribly misguided souls. :icon_bigg
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

None.

What makes this game so good is at is all for one and one for all -- TG versus the enemy.

No in-house squabbles, no vendettas, no internal divisiveness (BigGaayAl and I where having a conversation about these very elements the other day -- we both felt that PS2 is fairly unique in this regard within the TG line of games).

I know the 1stMIP days are in the past, but it is such a pity that this game does not provide us with common ground (and a common time zone). It has everything we always wanted.

Excellent internal comm system supplemented by TG TS.
                Decent squad and platoon in-game human resources management system.
                Decent in-game map with squad and platoon level move-too markers (not as sophisticated as ArmA).

All this adds up to multi-platoon ops running with or without squad specialization (air, infantry, armour, ect).
                Excellent squad cohesion.
                Clean comms.
                Emergent tactical possibilities.

The sci-fi concept is not my favourite, and the animations are crude but PS2 supports tactical sophistication, large-scale teamwork, and more.

It is not as sexy as BF3 but it has so much more than BF3, vis a vis teamwork.

I could never go back to playing games that have built-in time limits and limited support for platoon-level operations.

The PS2 maps suffer from repetition in features and lack of diversity but the game dynamics support innovation in tactical execution -- every battle can be significantly different from the last.

EDIT:

See this thread for a video record of a TG platoon operation in the PS2 environment.
                sigpic

Comment

E-Male is pretty much correct re: NC players. Also I like and agree with his statement that PS2 is unique within TG in that regard. I also agree with the rest of his assessment of the game. Our official TG Outfit play NC on Mattherson. 99% of TG players play in our Outfit, although if you look carefully around the forums you will find a few TR and even VS logos in sigs, etc. Those were the few I was referring to.
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I admit to moonlighting as Vanu (off-server) during odd hours or when I just want to muck about with a Scythe, but nothing beats opening the squad list during prime time and deciding which outfit squad to jump into.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...