Combined Infiltrator Operations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combined Infiltrator Operations

I got the auraxium medal on my AF-19 merc so I finally feel free enough to start playing classes besides Engineer and Light assault again. I have been toying around with the infiltrator and looking for tips (procrastinating at work) when I saw this thread on the main PS2 forums. The video is not very good at describing the basic idea and he doesn't get into much on the blog post either. However I think this guy has a few good ideas which stuck out to me.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ay-bwc.130961/

Specifically the anti-max actions. They show this off once in the video, I wish he spoke to it more, but it is a pretty simple concept really. Everyone targets the same max. Holds fire until the SL calls for it, then boom boom boom. If executed properly the MAX barely has time to react to the impact and is down or running.

The first downside I thought up of was numbers.

To take down a max:
    -Assume you are engaging at a decent range (75m+) where your team is be safe from fire
    -Assume everyone is equiped with the default SR which at 75m does 550 dmg.
    -Assume the effective hit points of a max is 10,000 (Actual is 2K + 80% bullet resistance) and the MAX has full HP
    -Assume everybody makes their shot...
    You actually would need 18.18~ or 19 hits from your SRs to knock out a MAX.

So based on that, an actual Anti-MAX Infiltrator team is not possible. A full squad only gets the max down to about 1/3 his health in the first volley. Second volley will finish, but he has started to run this time so the shot will be harder. No solution, but maybe a good deterrent. Especially for pushing enemies off ridges and hill tops where it is difficult to focus fire from vehicles and turrets.

Mostly it was just a curious idea. Like the OP says, snipers tend to be lone wolf players or just being used long enough to hack turrets and terminals. It seems like a tricky class to play well in a team environment since besides recon darts, the role is not as well defined in the game.

Your thoughts on the matter or other creative infiltrator squad implementations?

Re: Combined Infiltrator Operations

Well unfortunately we're at a disadvantage here. That guy runs TR so his squad doesn't have to wait as long between shots.

Edit: Also, if you're working on improving your infiltrator skills, Rage has offered to put together a training session for it a few topics down.

Comment

Take a squad of snipers, 2 shots apiece with focused fire will drop any MAX like a bad habit before he knew what hit him.

I reference: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...l-a-max.83681/

10,000 hp for a max, a squad of snipers (12 with EM4 or comparable 550/dmg >75m...reference:http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/EM4_Longshot) would take 10000/550= 18.2 hits to bring down a MAX or roughly 2 shots from each sniper if they were the only ones firing on the target. Which means only approx half the team needs to be on target the second volley. Or you could hold your shot until you see them taking fire from a secondary force.

Drop 2 of them on a pad and you'll have to pick other targets because no enemy will pull another MAX against your aircraft or tanks to be cut down so quick or they will be asseted out.
      Last edited by Rageq3a; 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Rage - Yeah I agree completely, a well placed sniper squad could be a major deterrent to maxes and other infantry. A full volley or even 3-4 concentrated shots is enough enough to put a major dent in anything with legs. But logistically, a full 12 man infiltrator squad leaves a lot to be desired.

I am curious to see how TG can implement infiltrators in a wider role. Just wanted to spark some discussion and more ideas on how we could be using infiltrators.

Comment

read my thread under the training......those are just a few ideas I've actually done as an individual. Yesterday on Indar I was with the platoon (during the day) and the squad was told to lay fire on an advancing force. I remembering it distinctly when one of the members said "We need to get rid of their snipers because they are cutting us down". I was sniping at the time, moved my location and took out 6 of their snipers, the people there will know this because I counted them down as I shot the enemy snipers. The squad went back to the ridge and we held off the advancing force. Those 6 snipers where a major force in help the enemy advance. 6 guys with sniper rifles.........that's it.........6 and we had the high ground.

Everyone hates snipers............but the first and foremost rule to sniping is ALWAYS shoot the enemy snipers first. They are the most under looked, and the most misunderstood class, but a good sniper can clear the outside of a base faster than a bombing run.

I don't think the training class will ever be held since there is so little interest, find me in game and friend me. You can run with me and see how I do it and I'll teach you everything I know. Just know that a lot of it is boring since position is everything. In RL the sniper is known as the 'crazy' guys since they will sit on location for days, crapping and pissing in their pants for that one shot, luckily we don't have to go that far.

As far as a 12 man infil squad is concerned...........nope I disagree with you, just because you happen to be very good at a particular class doesn't mean that is the ONLY class you have to play. A 12 man sniper squad can reclass anywhere since they can hack the terms.............infil hacks a term, reclasses to HA to do a job, then reclasses to infil to go to the next objective.

Comment

That is a great story Rage and makes me change my opinion on snipers. I know I speak for a lot of people at TG when I say we look down at certain classes (Infil, LA) at times because most of the time it seems those classes are played by people wanting to be 144t and/or not team players who just run off on their own to die, are never with the squad, etc. But it doesn't have to be that way. As Rage correctly points out, every kit has it's role in the battle.

I would encourage anyone in our Outfit who is interested in playing the Infil class to buddy up with Rage in game and let him take you under his wing as we develop our cadre of snipers within TG.

As with the air and armor groups we have going within TG, I think it is up to those people who are interested in playing those roles to get themselves together and figure out how they work together, etc. I know we have done that with the air squad, and now we often enjoy a squad or more of Close Air Support. There is no reason that those interested in playing Infil could not similarly organize themselves in game (in a separate squad, if you felt that was the best way) and work together on honing their craft. Let the tankers tank, the flyboys fly and the snipers snipe, I say. That way everyone gets to enjoy doing what they want and they fulfill a role that is necessary for our Outfit but maybe you don't enjoy doing yourself.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It'd definitely be fun to give it a try. I'm always up for specialized squads.

Comment

Just get all SMG's, and then cloak while you reload, and run into the biggest enemy groups you can find. That seems the most effective infiltrator tactic at the moment.

Comment

BigAl I've been there and done that, you'd be surprised at how quick they realize your there.........yeah you'll get 2 maybe 3 of them before they discover you, but I can do that at distance with my first reload.

Comment

Rage, when you have a specialized operation going feel free to contact me in-game for video services.

It would be great to have a video demonstration of your methods for training purposes.
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X