Vanguard Titan 150-AP vs infantry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard Titan 150-AP vs infantry?

So like most of you know I love my vanguard. I got the AP turret a couple of months ago and i've never switched back. I've recently noticed that its pretty accurate vs infantry also. Last night I was in Wyattman armor squad and I had 25 comfirmed infantry kills 3 were headshots in an hour (would of kept going but I got blown up by a drop pod), a VS light assault player named sockinmyspandex sent me a PM saying "how did you shoot me while i was flying around, twice!" I've gotting pretty good at leading targets even at long distances, even shot down enemy fighters at long range. I just switched my secondary to a walker since Im pretty confident in my ability to take out enemy armor and infantry with my AP. So the question is does anyone else do the same or is it just me?

Re: Vanguard Titan 150-AP vs infantry?

I typically run my Lightning with AP and get similar results. It's definitely not as effective at taking out infantry in many situations, but if they're just poking their head over a hill it's exactly the same shot with AP as without, since you can't splash them.

Comment

I do the same with the Lightning AP as well. Racked up a few impressive killstreaks against infantry. When I'm running AP Vanguard I usually don't bother taking shots at infantry because of my longer reload time. Either AP gun will one-shot infantry but the Lightning fires faster, making it a straight upgrade in terms of taking out infantry. When I'm rolling a Vanny I'm also usually closer to allies who have AI capabilities. When we get stuck in vs infantry I'm more likely to just sit on the outskirts and scan for enemy armor or take a flank and search for Sunderers.

Also, although the Vanny and Lightning have the same ammo reserve, it takes me less time to re-arm with the Lightning, so I'm much more likely to spend shots on Infantry. In the Vanny I'm more likely to switch to a secondary Walker/Kobalt to save my ammo.
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

In my observations AP is what you want to have if you are a 'pro' tanker. This means a good understanding of the gun and aiming, healthy upgrades, and a strong understanding of Armor Tactics and general best practices.

As a person who is normally responsible for an Armor Squad I do have slight contention about armor units that choose to spend shots on infantry/air targets. If ammo is not ensured try to conserve it... it runs outs quick!

Against infantry the Kobalt is a dream. Generally speaking I just feel the Vanny isn't great on an AI role especially in close quarters.

Comment

The Vanny can be a great AI tank. Obviously the Kobalt is very effective, but the 150mm HE is just devastating to grouped infantry. As a support tank, it's one of the best in the business. Unfortunately because the Vanny can't run from anything except infantry, the HE variant is heavily reliant on support if enemy armor shows up. If you're rolling with a strong friendly armor presence, give HE a try. Roll as far up the flank of the infantry push as you can, and lob a shell or two into the cluster of infantry behind the rocks... double, triple, quadruple kills... it's better than an HE Lightning once you get into position, though I still feel the HE Lightning is the superior anti-infantry tank overall, as it can more easily get into those flanking positions (and get out of dodge when Maggie shows up.)

If you're in an armored squad and ammo isn't ensured... something has gone terribly wrong!

I ask two things of an armored leader: Give me ammo and point me at the enemy!

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

:( But repairs ensure survivability without needing to bail to repair. . .

Ammo is good and all but I've noticed, when in a full platoon, that the Armor can normally rely on another squad's Ammo Sunderer-AMS for resupply, but I guess devoting one pilot to an Ammo Sundy isn't terrible practice. I still feel that the leader should be pulling a Repair Sunderer.

Comment

It makes a lot of sense to have squad leaders in largely non-combat roles. I break this rule as an infantry SL all the time (derp!) but when I do it usually kills my situational awareness.

Comment

Speaking as an armoured driver, I'd always rather see ammo than repair. Never have I ever thought to myself "Damnit, where's the repair sundie!", but many, many times I've found myself calling out in squad where the ammo sundie is.

I guess my point is that an armoured platoon can function very effectively without a repair sundie. Every driver has a repair tool which does the job faster. A platoon cannot function without ammo. An offensive position without ammo sunderers is hopeless. A defensive position, depending on the position of the nearest ammo tower, ranges from being hampered to crippled by lack of an ammo sunderer.

In my mind, the first Sundie you should have should be ammo. If you get a second Sundie... I'd consider making that ammo too.

Comment

I dunno, I've seen awesome sustainability from the presence of a repair Sunderer. I agree that it's secondary, but it means that sporadic anti-tank fire is completely negligible.

Comment

I agree Strait, ammo is crucial, I however would rather have Repair Sunderers inside a compartmentalized Armored Squad because it is common for the Infantry Squads to be running Ammo AMS. The thing with Ammo is that you being topped off all the time grants NO benefit over being halfway down or being three fourths down comparatively being at full health or constantly getting repaired without needing to bail or move position to cover is always beneficial.

I suggest you run with one of my armor squads. When we are on top form, and not facing surprise armor platoons (phew that battle at the Octagon today...), we aren't able to be taken down. For example, about a month ago, I gathered a group of tanks/lightnings to my front as we pushed into the gates of an occupied Andvari Biolab. Turrets went down, tanks were plenty but as we constantly were repaired in a situation that otherwise would not have been possible, we took the entire lower base without loss.

Consider that in such a situation an Ammo Sunderer would have provided absolutely no benefit and you can begin to see the new dynamic Repair Sunderers grant armored squads.

If you are working as a combined arms platoon and there is an infantry element it is common, and even extremely good practice for fostering direct cooperation, to have the Infantry squad's AMS providing the resupply point for the Armor squad.

Edit: I VR'd it a bit. Annecdotally it takes 17 seconds to repair a stock Vanguard from 1 C4 with a repair Sunderer. The best I could do with a maxed repair gun was 22 seconds. It basically comes down to the overheating that makes the repair gun lesser.
                    Last edited by Ytman; 07-25-2013, 03:32 AM.

Comment

I agree with Ytman, theres been times where I would go hours without losing my vanguard because of his repair sundie. Next time I am in one of your armor squads (which I really enjoy btw) I will record the action for a AAR video

Comment

Being 1/2 or 3/4 down on ammo does have an effect on the effectiveness of your armor. You're trying to conserve ammo, holding on shots you should take, and reducing your effective suppression of the enemy. With the stock 25 round supply, a Vanguard can expend all ammo in 100 seconds. The Lightning can empty in 75 seconds. You have to feed the beast. If you're spending 3-4 minutes firing at the enemy and 3-4 minutes trundling down to the supply point, resupplying, and moving back to the line, your vehicle is operating at 50% efficiency. If I have to make a 30 second repair every 4-5 minutes, I'm still 85%+ efficient.

Comment

I think our disagreement comes down to opinion on use of the main gun. I think suppression of a target, unless specifically engaging entrenched infantry, as a poor use of the main cannon of a tank. Tanks don't have the luxury of existing on a battlefield where suppression matters. What matters is killing the enemy armor; its either a hit or not.

In my Armor Squads I normally stress conservation of ammo to shots you can make or must attempt. I normally stress that tanks are not to engage Air Assets unless they absolutely must or otherwise can afford to. Skyguards/Walkers are great AA deterrents otherwise. Any dedicated tanker without a high level ammo capacity upgrade is slacking as well.

Furthermore in high volume engagements, like hitting a Tower Outpost/Facility with Defenses, you need to make CONSTANT repairs, not just sporadic ones. Its all situational and even beyond that personal preference. I'd actually love to have a VR brawl against our two philosophies.

Comment

Do repair sundies have overlapping effect, or is there a maximum repair rate they're capable of doing no matter how many are there?

Comment

Repair Sunderers do not overlap. I'm unsure about exact mechanics but when two Repair Sunderers are in the same area the one that is lowest level will 'turn off' and the higher level will 'turn on'; if both are equivalent then the one that was first on sight gets priority. I'm unsure if this means that you can't have two Repair Sunderers within 30m of each other or if this only checks if a vehicle is within overlapping bubbles.

What does overlap is; Engineer Repairs and Nanite Auto Repair systems.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X