Armour Squads and AMMO Sunderers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armour Squads and AMMO Sunderers

I observed an SL of an Armour squad asking the PL to get an SL to send an AMMO sunderer to the Armour squad.

I think this is a practice that should be avoided, UNLESS a squad has been designated AMS/AMMO support role.

Armour squads should take responsibility for their own AMMO/REPAIR. Asking for another squad to supply a Sunderer takes time/resources and focus away from the other squad. This can lead to problems with squad focus, cohesion, and management, essentially making your problem someone else's problem.
    sigpic

Re: Armour Squads and AMMO Sunderers

The larger issue, in my mind, is that the infantry squads may not even HAVE a sunderer when armor might need it, or might be unable to move it to a helpful position. Infantry sunderers are often left behind when the squad moves to secure an objective, and the enemy is also making that sunderer a primary target.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
      I observed an SL of an Armour squad asking the PL to get an SL to send an AMMO sunderer to the Armour squad.

I think this is a practice that should be avoided, UNLESS a squad has been designated AMS/AMMO support role.

Armour squads should take responsibility for their own AMMO/REPAIR. Asking for another squad to supply a Sunderer takes time/resources and focus away from the other squad. This can lead to problems with squad focus, cohesion, and management, essentially making your problem someone else's problem.
      Again I second this motion. Not to mention that it ties up a squad member from another squad to man the Sunderer unless the first squad is expecting the Sunderer to be left for their disposal.........which personally I think is very arrogant and tantamount to saying, 'I'm going on a trip......you carry the luggage'.

Comment

Note: I don't play PS2 with TG so you guys may well be doing this already. Thought I'd share it just in case. :)

The outfit I roll with on Miller usually designates a few people from armour or air squads to set up a FOB (AMS + ammo Sunderer, Lightning Skyguard, engineers). Their job is to deploy somewhere near-ish to the target area, have the PL place a waypoint on them, and drop signal smoke to mark a few landing sites. Then if any tanks or aircraft need emergency repairs they call in their urgency and whether they need AA/AT support, the ground crew tells them which smoke marker to head to and prepares for possible incoming baddies. Tanks and ships have somewhere safe to set down and get repaired/resupplied without having to leave their vehicle in case a quick take-off is needed. The FOB crew rotates with the rest of the squad every now and then because it's not the most glamorous task, although there are still plenty of repair/anti-aircraft certs when it gets busy.
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

This is being directed solely at myself and I accept the criticism. The situation at the time warranted my squad incapable of securing an 'On Site' resupply junction. Resources were low and the situation was not particularly good for our forces. The number of barrels meant more than the ability to be resupplied on site. Given our squad's role of being the armored fist in a heavily contested region with large Anti-Armor presence the choice of Repairs versus Ammo was non-existent. Repairs first, Ammo second. Consider that the terrain was perfect for Harassers, Air Barrages, and Lock On/Laser Guided Missiles and that resources were so few that one down Vanguard could mean down time for more than fifteen minutes it was simply no contest. We had one Ammo Sundy already pulled and it went down; we had no further means of on site supply but suggesting that an infantry man not using his Mechanized Resources could pull both a FOB/Ammo Sunderer.

The call for Ammo was a suggestion that a non-dedicated Mechanized person could pull a single Sunderer AMS to help our forces stay near site. In the absence of the Ammo Sunderer I have no problems with RTB for resupplies; the logistics train was secured.

Ultimately I understand the disapproval of my suggestion and the disapproval of my inability to secure internal 'On Site' resupplies. I take the rebuke fully.

Edit: Westy is Armor really just organized as squads in your outfit? No such thing as an armored Platoon? I could not imagine separating my small squad, normally the only armored element, as both a FOB and aggressive Armored Fighting Squadron. However, I routinely have my armored squad defending our infantry AMSes as standard practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
            Edit: Westy is Armor really just organized as squads in your outfit? No such thing as an armored Platoon? I could not imagine separating my small squad, normally the only armored element, as both a FOB and aggressive Armored Fighting Squadron. However, I routinely have my armored squad defending our infantry AMSes as standard practice.
            We have about one platoon most evenings, and we're primarily infantry. Usually if someone fancies playing armour/air or the situation warrants, a squad within that platoon will be designated armour/air squad. If lots of people want to use vehicles or it's a busy night (on rare occasions we've fielded upwards of six full platoons, which is so much fun for the supreme commander to organise) the vehicle squads will be detached into a new platoon to clear up comms (we use Mumble instead of in-game VOIP). In that case one half-strength squad will run the FOB, the other squads in that platoon will be full armour or air squads, and the infantry will be in a separate platoon/platoons.

In short: It depends on how many people are online, who wants to do what, and how serious we're feeling (which is sometimes not very).
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Company level is where this game truly shines. So much more able to be done with proper distribution of labor and economy of force.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                Company level is where this game truly shines. So much more able to be done with proper distribution of labor and economy of force.
                Indeed! This game is about who can ORGANIZE the largest cooperative force that WORKS TOGETHER. Nonetheless, two people working together are more effective than two people working alone.

What make for a larger group is another question.

The answer seems to be in longevity.

Stick around and grow.
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse