Revisiting the MAX in the Back - Harasser Tactic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting the MAX in the Back - Harasser Tactic

When Harassers first arrived you often saw people using MAXs in the rear seat to provide some additional firepower. Once everybody figured out that an Engineer could jump into the rear seat and repair the vehicle while driving most crews dumped the MAX in favor the of the Engineer. After playing last night I was thinking about trying a new setup for a Harasser squad that might give us an edge against those TR Harassers with the Vulcan cannon and any other heavy armor that might be a problem. We'd go with the MAX in the backseat again, but the class and loadouts of the crew would be slightly different.

Driver - Medic - Fully Certed Medic Gun and Triage ability for healing of wounded crew members during travel
    Gunner - Engineer - Fully Certed Engineer Gun and Full Nanoweave armor (helpful but not mandatory to stay alive longer in the back set while repairing)
    MAX - Full Flak Armor, Dual Falcons and either the extra ammo packs or a certed up Aegis shield

The medic would be responsible for overall driving and reviving of any crew members that go down. The engineer will be responsible for all vehicle and MAX repairs. The MAX's main job is to deploy out the back of the vehicle during a fight and engage the armor with the Dual Falcons. Under no circumstances should the MAX be firing from the backseat. If your Harasser is using a fully certed Halberd, it'll take three shots to destroy an enemy Harasser which takes 10 seconds if every shot is made as soon as it reloads. The Vulcan mounted TR Harassers can kill ours in 6 - 7 seconds. When we find one of these guys we'll need to get somewhat close to deploy the MAX and then engage from medium to long distance with the Halberd.

It only takes four Dual Falcon shots to bring down a Harasser which will force the enemy to either focus on the opposing Harasser crew or the MAX. Either way, both groups should be able to hit for enough damage to kill him much faster than usual or drive him off in which case he can be hunted down from behind.

The key to this setup is communication and an understanding on the part of all crew members as to what's expected. The driver's role is relatively easy, while the engineer must repair a damaged vehicle immediately as soon as contact is broken with a target. You can't be running around at 25% - 75% health and expect to survive if you stumble into another fight in the next second. Always keep the vehicle at 100% and you'll stay alive longer. The MAX must keep a close eye at all times on the Harasser's overall health and bail out if the vehicle starts to take damage so the engineer can do his job. Once the threat is down the driver can swing back and pick him up again. Crew members can't be waiting around for one person to make a decision as to what to do as it has to be automatic on everybody's part to make the setup work.

Other Alternatives

You could equip the MAX with Dual Ravens provided you're going up against only light to heavy armor as Ravens are pretty much useless against fast moving targets. Another possibility is to try a longer range setup with a Heavy Assault in the back set.

Heavy Assault - Annihilator Launcher, Full Nanoweave Armor, 3 - 4 Restoration Kits

Like the MAX the Heavy will deploy out the back and lock up any enemy armor at a distance. Why the Annihilator? It may not do as much damage as the other launchers, but it is the fastest travelling rocket we have and will hit the target in less time than the others. You can keep up a steady stream of rockets on a single target quite which will make the Harasser crew's job easier. The restoration kits are to keep you alive between the time you deploy and when you are able to jump in the back seat again.

Re: Revisiting the MAX in the Back - Harasser Tactic

I like this. You could easily drop off the back seat passengers on a hill with anti-armour kit to provide fire support while the Harassers dart in and out, providing both some nice long range support and a reasonably safe fallback position. Or, alternatively, drop the MAX units in the middle of a harasser fight to cause all sorts of short range havoc. Hell, could even just have an engineer on the back with mines to create a killzone that you could then dance around and try to lure the opposing Harassers into...

LOTS of different ways to use that back seat...

Comment

Does the aegis shield work in the back-seat? I have a fully certed shield, it can take 2 or three direct hits from a tank!

Comment

That's a good question Al, we'll have to experiment with that some time soon. Just imagine if you could buff a Harasser's health by two or three tank shells by using that shield!

Comment

No it does not work. I tried before.
          sigpic

Comment

What seems to be the issue? Does the Aegis not function in the rear seat or does the shell simply strike other parts of the vehicle? Or does the shell strike the shield, yet still damage the vehicle?
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Ageis does not function in back seat.
              sigpic

Comment

You read my mind! I haven't had a good opportunity to do this after planning it but we just happened to do it one night by chance and it was amazingly effective and I was only rolling one falcon. Now this was focused on enemy tanks and not harassers. The way I see it, i'm a bigger threat to that tank than the harasser if left alone so I usually have their attention while the harasser has time to take aimed shots, possibly into its rear.

I got two certs into shield and that's enough to take two direct hits from a default vanguard without taking damage, based on testing. I killed a prowler one on one in a dual with my single falcon and shield dancing and since then i have gotten a bit of a big head with my AV max and jumped in the face of every tank I see. Doesn't always work, but man is it fun.

Big issue vs tanks though, a tank with a gunner will take the MAX down very fast. Keep that in mind when doing traditional tank groups: I, an AV MAX, am less afraid of two tanks than I am against a single tank with a gunner... So fill those gunner seats in those tank columns first!!!

Comment

Well, be careful as MAX on foot = roadkill for harassers and the velocity of the NC MAX AV is too slow to hit a harasser even at close range if it is moving. The Engi in the gunning seat can't repair the vehicle in a firefight unless you decide to run.

Comment

Dropping your AEGIS shield will prevent that Harasser from running you over, as well as doing damage to him.

I always thought a dual burster MAX in the back seat was another option, as it gives you some protection from enemy air. Not in every Harasser in the group needs the burster MAX mind you (or skip it maybe if only one Harasser) but maybe consider it in one of the Harassers if there are a few operating in a wolf pack (depending on enemy air presence of course).
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Seriously? The Aegis shield mitigates collision damage? AND it causes collision damage in return?

That's AWESOME.

Comment

Wacky, sort of related idea for the back seat: Heavy with a Phoenix. I have no idea if you could actually use the weapon effectively from that position, but I could see it working for hit and run tactics especially if you made good use of hills for cover. If you need the spot for an engineer, you can swap the heavy into the gunner seat, and while the heavy is in the back he can make himself more durable with his shield (assuming that works there).

Heck, you could do something similar with just flashes and the rumble seat...

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                          Wacky, sort of related idea for the back seat: Heavy with a Phoenix. I have no idea if you could actually use the weapon effectively from that position, but I could see it working for hit and run tactics especially if you made good use of hills for cover. If you need the spot for an engineer, you can swap the heavy into the gunner seat, and while the heavy is in the back he can make himself more durable with his shield (assuming that works there).

Heck, you could do something similar with just flashes and the rumble seat...
                          I have done this and I find its more effective then both lock-on and dumb fire because you only need to choose the right time to pull the trigger, after that the activity of the harasser is irrelevant to whether the missile hits its mark.

Comment

Iiiiinteresting. I love the Phoenix and want to see more uses for it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X