Possible squad inventorying method.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible squad inventorying method.

TG is defiantly capable of achieving some highly organized and very effective Ops once we our minds have been set. However, more often than not things can get out of hand or not work as effectively or as quickly as possible.
    A few examples may include:
    -Loading up with kits into gals takes ages on occasion
    -Fast-break technique takes ages to organize
    -A max crash is organized with few certed maxs or the remaining infantry doesn't have certs into their engineer tool.
    -Squad is ordered to use C-4 on a particular object but not enough people have it
    -pheonix targets are called but only 1-2 people actually have pheonixs :(
    -Airsquad is created with few capable pilots
    And the list goes on and on.

Things like this are often inherent in the nature planetside2. Sometimes certain tactics are impossible with the current squad composition and it would seem meaningless to waste time trying to execute them.

What I would recommend is squad leaders when they first get placed in their squad, are waiting for a gal, require particular kits, They do a quick squad inventory.
    What i've noticed is that the whole TG voting method, " type '1' if you want to join the alert, type '2' if you want to stay, or abstain if you have no opinion", seems to be a very effective way of gaining information for a squad/platoon.

So I've modified it a be able to accommodate more variables and make it easier for squad members/leaders to read once the tally has come in.
    Here is how a typical set of comms would work.

SL: "Alright clear comms! I'm going to to a quick squad inventory. Everyone make sure you are in squad chat"
    SL: "Type 1 if you have C-4 and then state the quantity."(waits for results)
    Result: Squad chat is filled with a series of 1's with the quantity next to it ("1(2); 1(1); 1(4);...")
    SL:"Type 2 if you have a pheonix"...
    And so on...

Then SL's will be able to review squad chat and make a tally and review of the squads composition.
    it's recommended that the SL has a sheet of paper at hand to make sure they won't need to do this repetitively.

This Procedure would most likely reduce wait time and increase the effectiveness of the squad ops. Or at least determine whether or not it will be a total waste.

Edit: The note taking for this would be extremely minimal and in some cases irrelevant because the squad chat would essentially create a short term archive.
    the only time note taking would be required is in a preliminary inventory done upon receiving the squad. Notes could be done in a side program or on a real sheet of paper and would only really need to be as simple as a series of tally marks.
    Last edited by Zepkron; 10-08-2013, 09:39 PM.

Re: Possible squad inventorying method.

To show the adaptiveness of this particular method. I've made an example for a Fast-break technique.

SL: "Alright clear comms! I'm going to to a quick squad inventory. Everyone make sure you are in squad chat"
    SL: "Type 1 if you have a level 2 gate shield Sunderer with either a bulldog or a fury"
    ex.response: 1 (bulldog,fury)
    SL: "Type 2 if you have a level 3 or higher recon device, state what level
    ex.response: 2 (lvl 3)
    SL: "Type 3 if you have a certed medic kit, state what level the tool is"
    ex.response: 3 (lvl 4)
    SL: "Type 4 if you have a certed Engi kit, State what level the tool is and the amount of proxy mines"
    ex.response: 4 (lvl 4)(2 mines)
    Etc.

other bickering such as "Who has the better Sunderer for the job" can be resolved once the kits have been sorted.
    Allowing more time focused on review of the actual tactic at hand than making sure the composition is correct.
    Last edited by Zepkron; 10-08-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I've been mulling about managing squad inventories more effectively as well. I don't really like doing an itemized list that I'd have to jot down on paper, but I've been considering adding a "get to know everyone" stage to my squad leading. I'm already (in theory) doing a "laying down expectations" stage, though I've been slack on that lately, it'd help to add a person by person "what are you favoured classes and pieces of special kit?" to build out the squad...

I like adapting the text voting method to equipment queries, though. Comms get ugly otherwise... in order to make it work in voice chat, we'd need to have the discipline in the squad to go down the list and give a summary person by person in a form like "Alpha 2 reporting, favoured classes are medic and light assault, favoured vehicles are sunderer and harasser". That might be an interesting way to start things off, actually... it'd certainly rule out people who aren't paying attention or communicating, and it'd reinforce the idea of good comms usage. Maybe I'll try that...

My biggest concern is getting these sorts of helpful admin/startup tasks in under a high pressure scenario. I've found that as much as I might like to get everyone on the same page before moving out, I've usually ended up receiving the SL/PL position under hostile conditions that are too hectic to do a proper briefing in, much less an inventory. How do we manage getting briefings/inventory in under those circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
        My biggest concern is getting these sorts of helpful admin/startup tasks in under a high pressure scenario. I've found that as much as I might like to get everyone on the same page before moving out, I've usually ended up receiving the SL/PL position under hostile conditions that are too hectic to do a proper briefing in, much less an inventory. How do we manage getting briefings/inventory in under those circumstances?
        I think, if you really had to, in high pressure environments you can only really do one of 2 things:
        - Clear coms -> explain the situation -> Wing it and see who pulls what.
        - Clear coms -> explain the situation -> and ask people to proclaim in squad chat quickly if they have the kit -> make a decision in around 15- 20 seconds time

I only meant this as a 'getting to know your squad' procedure, probably best to do when you've first received your squad, this way you can just look down at your tallies(which can be remade whenever a large portion of the squad changes) and make judgments around what you already know if the event arises.

The goal is for squad leaders to have a pre-understanding of what their squad is capable of and cut down on huge ready times that occur around organized rush techniques which are dependent on speed and organization(gal drops, Fast-breaks, etc.).

The real advantage is, doesn't require any pre-existing knowledge or training to understand. Pubs have no trouble figuring out the voting system so it should be able to easily apply to TG-pub platoons as well (looks professional too!)

Of course PS2 is a dynamic game and things can change rapidly but at that point you really just have to go with your gut and make sure everyone sticks together.
        Last edited by Zepkron; 10-08-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

A thing I've seen some of the very small tactical outfits that run really tight ops tend to have assigned kits to people. They let you choose what class you play but when you play that class they expect you to have certain things certed. at least during their "op" times. could be something we could do with TG members? or maybe do a thread in here where people put their favorite class and certs?

Comment

Gotcha. One more tool in the box, I was thinking about it in terms of briefing (in which case "zomg where to find the time", etc and so forth) but you're right, this is a good way to structure a common operation.

Comment

yeah I hate to think of us turning into one of those you have to play this types but we wouldn't have to be super strict more just saying if you play medic unless special circumstances you should have say gun level 4 or something? or say you have to have access to smoke grenade or a certain mana turret for the engi? At least do some general guidelines so that at least when we're playing with TG members we have a quicker general idea of what people can do?

Comment

SL situational awareness of exactly what resources they have available in their squad is definitely important and not easy to resolve... I think these ideas are a good start to chisel into this rock. I have been thinking about this as well and so far the best I came up with is essentially the same thing so i don't have anything to add at the moment unfortunately. Will keep chiseling...

Comment

Good topic to discuss guys. It is certainly an issue, and a hard one to solve in PS2. Made me think a bit.
                  The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Something to think about and mind you this doesn't apply to everyone...............nothing ever does.

BR levels:
                    1-20 - don't really know what they want to do, they are trying various roles to determine where their comfort is
                    21-40 - Have settled into a role are in the process of certing that role up
                    41-60 - Getting better in the role and beginning to think about how to maximize it's effectiveness, starting to dabble again in other roles
                    61-80 - Have a central role and are certing other roles up maximize their effectiveness
                    81-100 - Have most roles certed up and know exactly how they want to play the game and are trying to keep interest in the game.

So having some idea of how your BR roster is made up is a major help in deciding the roles, ask people what they like doing. Based on their BR rating you can pretty well determine how certed they are.

I realize that BR levels aren't really highly regarded, but if the people are in the outfit you can do a quick sort of 'time in game' to get an idea of how long they have been playing as well.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X