Phoenix Squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Squad

So, just the other day, I decided on a whim to run a Phoenix squad, just to see what we could do with it. Anybody familiar with the Phoenix will immediately recognize the hazards and limitations of using the launcher... low DPS (even with the high damage against vehicles), sharply limited range, and you're a little vulnerable while the missile is in flight! Even so, I wanted to give it a try, and I was hoping that fired in volleys from a large ground the unique flight characteristics and high burst damage could provide a unique battlefield niche of a close range, indirect fire anti-armour squad.

I have no idea if it was pound-per-pound effective, but my goodness it was FUN.

Squad makeup was almost completely heavy assault with Pheonix missiles, with one or two engineers and one or two medics to round it out.

We were very often stymied by the range limitations of the rocket... 300m is NOT a lot of distance, especially firing from atop the Tawrich-area cliffs. Once or twice I ordered the squad to just pull lock-ons for a bit to give us the range we needed to engage. When targets were in that range, though, we could do some wicked damage and attracted a lot of attention. I never tried organizing volley fire, instead just leaving it at "fire at will", but we were still able to be effective. We even tweaked the nose of a massive Vanu infantry force at Coramed labs, engaging their position from the hills to the south, and when the suppressing fire became too much to effectively fire back we could still arc missiles over the hill and cause havoc. We were inevitably wiped out or pushed back because we were outnumbered and outfitted for long range, but it was fun and we had a few interesting running battles over those hills.

Aggressive, prompt, and cohesive squad manuevering was pretty crucial, since we needed to stick together to allow our engineers to keep us full of ammo and to guarantee we could all hit the same targets, but we also needed cover and to be pretty close to our desired targets.

It's an interesting play-style, at any rate, and I encourage other squad leads to give it a try.

As a side note, I also briefly experimented with pulling a Kobalt-armed harasser, but instead of having it run around I kept it with the squad as a mobile LMG platform. It chews through ammo, but that's a beast of a long-range suppression weapon versus infantry, and if you have it hull down it'll be largely immune to suppressing fire! If you want to try using a harasser as more of a squad-support weapon instead of a hit-and-run platform like it's usually used for, I'd recommend dropping the 100 certs onto a Kobalt and investing in some optics and extra ammo. It's a huge firepower improvement at range, it only really requires a single crewmember to use in this fashion, you can use it for a rapid flanking attack in a pinch, and it can double as cover for other infantry if the need is there!

In fact, it gives me an idea for a harasser-based mechanized infantry squad...

Re: Phoenix Squad

You could add an ammo + AMS Sundy to the mix, which could supply the Harasser as well as being a place for people to switch kits periodically (for example, if you needed to switch to lock ons for a little more range). Also the AMS guns could provide some additional fire support in a pinch or if you were being rushed. Sundy could be AA weapons, or Basilisks for all around damage to vehicles / air / and infantry.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah, but if I'm bringing a Sunderer in I feel like it might as well be based around that, instead, since it'll move the whole squad around and packs twice the firepower. The problem with using a Sunderer like this is that it's a bit harder to hull down in open terrain or move in tough terrain, but more importantly it's a massively high priority target that'll attract anti vehicle fire like crazy, especially if a friendly zerg decides to use it as a spawn point and add some chaos to your day.

I can see that working if the terrain is right, and there's no denying the utility of a Sunderer, but they're a tough vehicle to use in a fire support position due to their bulk and target priority.

Worth experimenting with, though.

Comment

Count me in for the experimentation. I'll bring the battle Sundy and my medic kit if need be again.

Comment

The Phoenix is a powerful weapon but it's range relegates it to niche. I like the weapon but feel that it is both too many certs and too much SC to expect a squad sized Phoenix group. Coordinating fires, volley fire, is paramount in extracting top efficiency with this weapons platform. Otherwise the damage output per second is too low at ranges due to the slow travel time.

This is clearly an Alpha Strike weapon. Personally, I'd like to see it buffed or the AV mana turret nerfed.

Concept of an AI Harasser platform is pretty swank. The Kobalt is a great overlooked gun and the fire the Kobalt can grant could be helpful when crossing terrains.

Comment

Well, I started a squad explicitly for Phoenix use, advertised it as such, and then got a squad's worth of the things! I think enough people have it collecting cobwebs in their loadout selection screen that you can get those squads together, and it looked like we were definitely able to get enough TG members with it. :)

Effective use of it, based on this trial run, involves just getting away from the concept of DPS entirely--it's ALWAYS a losing proposition with the Phoenix--and instead basing your strategy around the short range and unique flight characteristics. Getting behind a hill or a rock and picking off valuable vehicle targets without return fire is effective, and you open up a lot of options for hitting targets that are otherwise difficult to get an angle on.

Comment

That is what I'm trying to say. This isn't a DPS weapon. Its a high payload low RoF weapon which excels in damage dealing in a small range. To mitigate that you should utilize coordinated volley fire. This thing hits like a Decimator with the buffs it gets on all armored targets and this means that you shouldn't waste it's destructive power!

If enough TG members, and regular 'pubbies' have the weapon, then I think we could and should experiment with volley fire. There would be hitches to solve but it would certainly be doable and it'd only result in more efficient usage. Interesting aspects to solve would be 'ranging', 'target commands', 'fire commands', and even mobility.

I can't get my boots dirty with this but would love to hear what you guys come up with. I do think an attached Harrasser/Sunderer would be important. I'd opt for the Sunderer as it has more transport capacity and the Rearm station, but the concerns about its vulnerability are valid.

A suggestion on volley fire would be the following:

A 'leader' rocket is fired and shortly after, three seconds or so, the other rockets are fired and told to target whatever the leader rocket is aiming towards. If even just four rockets hit the target you are dealing with a dead MBT.

Furthermore the SL could find ranging with his SQ-Marker.

Comment

Yeah, I'd really like to experiment with volley fire. Leading with the SL's rocket seems like a good proposition, since you can still spot targets from the rocket and verbal commands can guide the following rockets in. Alternatively, the SL spots a target and plops the squad mark on it.

Rangefinding with the SL mark is important, but the personal waypoint is also really helpful here. Sometimes you need the SL mark to specify movement commands or targets, and the personal waypoint can fill the gaps!

Comment

Phoenix is my default load-out for my heavy. If you see my heavy, I probably have one. I have a lot of practice from BF3 TV missles waiting for PS2 to release. Its ability to one shot ESF is difficult but surprising to many. Its also good for sniping those evil ZOE MAX's.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X