Ghost Squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Squad

Last night we had our faces kicked in during an amp station alert by overwhelming numbers of TR/VS which made me think about what we could do when our numbers are too small to make a real difference. The loadout would be least one squad either at 50% or 100% full comprised of mostly heavies and one or two medics and engineers. The heavies will need lock on launchers, preferably the Annilhilator for its flexibility in dealing with ground/air targets or the Phoenix. Engineers need AV Mana turrets and ammo upgrades for extended resupply of ammo. Medics and Engineers should have smoke grenades for their underslung grenade launchers.

Since TR/VS love to pull lots of armor and aircraft we'd take a Galaxy and drop onto a location near where they would be pulling most of these assets and setup an ambush site. The Galaxy would return to warpgate and wait as we'll be needing it for the next trip out. The SL would deploy their beacon and we'd go after any targets of opportunity doing focus fire attacks to ensure the target went down quickly. As soon as we'd start receiving any form of retaliation, the medics and engineers would deploy smoke grenades and we'd all redeploy back to warpgate and then select a new site that's far away from our previous position and gal drop again.

Our main mission is to do some damage but at the same time deny the enemy the satisfaction of wiping out us and keep them guessing as to where we might pop up next. Hopefully we can reduce their assets to the point which could be beneficial for other outfits going after the big objectives in the alert. If infantry resources are plentiful we could add one burster MAX to the mix to keep any aircraft away.

Re: Ghost Squad

A small force that opts not to get locked into the big front line meat grinders can do a lot of damage to the enemy's ability to fight. Especially against an unorganized zerg, knocking out soft spawns like Sunderers and chipping away at their vehicle advantage can grind their offensive to a halt even if they've got numerical superiority. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do in that capacity if they've got a hard spawn like a satellite base available, but most bases don't provide the attackers luxuries like that. Cut out the foundations of their assault, and unorganized squads are going to crumble.

Obviously it's a different story if the enemy is as organized as we are, since they'll probably be on top of their revives and squad beacons, but that's usually only a small portion of the enemy force. :)

I'm all for this kind of strategy. I'm of the opinion that the best thing for organized and smaller outfits to do is to enable the zerg to be effective rather than try and brute force our way to traditional objectives. It'll only become more important as the game develops (the proposed resource system, for instance, would provide a lot of opportunities for small-squad ops).

For kit, I can verify that Phoenix launchers can do the job admirably, but you have to get close. As a result phoenix squads, fun as they are, are highly terrain dependent. You can't, for instance, use them effectively in the cliffs above Tawrich, because the cliffs on their own are nearly 300m tall! Still, you can sit behind a small hill and take out an enemy Sunderer without being at risk, so lots of value there.

Also, give some consideration to alternate means of transport as well. Galaxies are a good option, but they're big cert pinatas so they might not survive hotter fights beyond the initial drop. Moving the squad around in Harassers can mean you get places very quickly, and double as weapon platforms or even makeshift cover as needed, but you'll be limited by terrain and you'll have to be careful to keep them from getting split up and doing the typical harasser thing instead of using them as transport. Nothing against harasser tactics, but if your goal is a surgical strike infantry squad having 4-6 vehicles moving you around offers a lot of opportunities to get split up or go off chasing kills, which would harm squad cohesion.

Comment

I like the idea as well I would like to use my gal for this and/or my engineer I have the load out you suggest.

Comment

I feel as if having a AA max or two will be necessary because as we all know, it is faster for them to put a spray if bullets and rockets into you than for you to lock onto them. If they are engaged with flak, they will be running an a lock in could EASILY finish them off.
        Questions about those who deserve it!
        "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Yeah we have done the missile squad thing before, it works very well, I don't know why we don't do it more often. And this would be the perfect thing for us to do, if we had a a squad +/- available (like we did last night). And it doesn't even require any resources either really (which was also one of the problems last night). Let the bigger outfits (VCO, TAS, etc.) who can field platoons do the major push / defense, this is a great way for us to contribute, it's a great force multiplier.

RAGE likes to talk about observing the flow of battle. Air comes, then tanks / Sundies, then infantry. Stopping the vehicle advance between bases is a good way to stop their attack cold. If they cannot control the outside of a base they are attacking with tanks and air, then they cannot keep their Sundies alive and support the infantry attack on the flag. This is why you will often hear me say "don't even worry about the flag, just kill their Sundies."

I am a big fan of using a Gal for transport (obviously, but I mean more specifically, for this tactic). The Gal can put you on top of some very excellent terrain much faster than ground vehicles can, and also some terrain that ground vehicles simply cannot reach. Being the Gal driver would be a pretty boring job though, sitting at the warpgate, so I would propose just dropping and ditch the Gal; if we were doing this for a length of time resources wouldn't be a problem, if they were we could just rotate Gals between all the squad members each time we redeployed to WG. Plus that would give us 1 more gun in the fight, instead of just having that person sitting at the WG. You wouldn't want the Gal sitting around for the same reason you forgo the convenience of having a Sundy close by to switch kits: because vehicles render at 800m.

I also believe one burster Max would really help keep the ESFs / Libs off of us. Because that is what they are going to come with when they realize what we are doing on top of that rock. For best survivability and maximum firepower, I think 1.5-2 squads would be ideal as it allows for several medics to be dispersed around the area, a few Engis, a burster Max or 2, and the rest (mostly) Heavies with lock ons. If we have the luxury of enough people, another thing I have noticed is it's helpful to have one Infil for counter sniping (as that's the other thing they will start to counter with, besides air). But this strat is a bit scalable, we could start with around 6-10 people probably and then go from there.

So, what missiles for everyone to pull? I think the additional time the Annie takes to lock on to a target would be offset by the fact that we would have numbers of them and would be focusing fire (i.e., taking out individual targets in one volley) and the flexibility of targeting both air and ground targets. OTOH, everyone does not have them. So I guess we would have to figure out what people have and then go from there. Perhaps a mix.

But anyway, I'm all for it. I wish you would have raised this idea last night Assault, as I think it would have been the perfect strat to employ under the circumstances (little/no resources, overwhelming enemy numbers, esp. vehicles, etc.). I was thinking along those lines (eliminate their vehicles) when I told everyone to pull armor, and then when we ran out of resources I did try to set up one AA/AV nest at the one base, but they were on us too quickly and it failed. But yeah, lets do this again some time, it's always fun and usually effective when we do.
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A variant on the AA squad, but for small squads (2 or 3 guys). A harasser with an ANTI AIR weapon, and a AA MAX on the back. The driver of the harasser is engineer for ammo. Suddenly the two of you are a highly mobile anti air platform. Whenever you see a plane you drive closer, and if the plane is close the driver switches to the gun position and the max hops out and you engage. Then as soon as the plane runs, or dies, you jump back and are moving again. I have used this with a friend for a lot of fun and success. If you run into ground enemies you run away, if you run into air, you chase. Also harassers with certs put into hill climbing can get to a lot of places. :)
            The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Garthra that was an amazing idea, especially for smaller squads, another way in which this could be useful for a squad or two is to have 3 of these harassers and. Have them be closer to where the enemy is coming from, once the infantry engage, the harasser cuts them off as they attempt to run and successfully finishes them. Doing this you will be less fearful if that one lib comes back after he nearly wiping the squad. It is also useful because extra seats can be used to quickly move the main infantry to a new location so we are always one step ahead of enemy air. But this o
              f course can be improved with the opinions of others.

Comment

Assault, i too think its good to have a strategy for when we are severely outnumbered, but i think a better idea than your whack-a-mole style tactic might be a baiting maneuver, try and lure managable amounts of forces away from the herd to pick them off. Of course how we do this would have to be highly situational depending on the makeup of the enemy forces.

Comment

When I think of the words "Ghost Squad" I think of something else. I think of a squad comprised of fast moving units that are masters of sabotage. The light assault could definitely fill this role with the ability to get in and out a lot quicker than other roles, as well as C4. Its almost like its built for sabotage. And the infiltrator already fills this role by hacking terminals. Those are just two of the classes (out of 4) that can fill the role of saboteur. They'd have to be fast though. The other factions usually scramble esfs within 2 minutes or less if you cause too much of a scene.

Comment

The op gave me the impression that he was talking about sitting near the vehicle spawn ready to jump fools who had jusy pulled their armor. I think that this would be hard to predict and we would be waiting around a while. But when a base has just been lost suderers will be pulled and dropping on the high ground near the road waiting to focus fire the sundays is deffinatly something that i need to do more often in my platoons.

How many rockets does it take to kill a suderer? Are 5, 6, 7 heavies enough to one shot a sunderer? I just dont know.
                    SPEAK UP! and lets combat the fog of war together.

Comment

This thread may be helpful:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/planets...rider-etc.html

I don't know how those values stack up with some of the latest patches, but according to Randy's lists in there 7 of ANY kind of missile should be enough to alpha strike a Sunderer. According to http://www.ps2calc.com/, a Crow will take 6 rockets and a Phoenix will take 5.

Suffice it to say, with most weapons an alpha strike salvo from half the squad will do the job.

Comment

If it has armor, the back is the most protected so you must hit it from the side to be more effective I believe, Zepkron can you do some math with the in game Stats and that website we used last time:row__577:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X