The 'Asset denial' squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] The 'Asset denial' squad

The 'Asset denial' squad, as I like to call it, is any type of squad who's composition and goal is strictly set up for the sake of eliminating as much of the enemy assets as possible. A few examples include...
    -just about any organized air squad
    -Organized armor columns
    -Harrasser squads
    -Tonning squads (aka lock-on missile nests)

The real advantage to theses kinds of squads is; they are capable of allowing a small squad of 8-12 guys with relatively high BR to make a great impact on the battle field in fights that they otherwise be able to even make a dent.

A few things to remember:
    -Organization is ABSOLUTE key because, once the enemy begins to react to your attacks, survival is strictly dependent on not getting caught off guard or out of position.
    -Listen for retreat/re-position orders and follow them immediately otherwise you'll slow down the squad as a whole as they try and cover you(which can result in the death of the whole squad).
    -Try not to die... I know this goes without saying but it seems sometimes people don't try hard enough. When one person is out that means the squad as a whole loses some strength and survivability(Especially in Air/armor squads)
    -Be paranoid, nothing is worse than an unknown enemy asset(c-4 flash, sniper, harasser,etc.) coming in from behind and wiping part of the squad out.
    -Stick together... but your not joined at the hip; The strength of theses squads is pretty dependent on squad cohesion but if everyone stands in the EXACT SAME PLACE (as I saw yesterday) just about anything can wipe out the whole squad.

This is a particular squad that I like running during our "low population" hours, when there are about a squads worth of TG online (of whom are mostly higher BR regulars). It works perfect with the TG style and, not to mention, the terror and rage it brings into the hearts and soul of the enemy.

Re: The 'Asset denial' squad

My standard instructions to asset (air or armor) squads (many of you have heard this, many times before, lol):

Air assets are expensive and fragile, therefore be conservative in their employment. Stick together, call out targets, engage together, but more importantly, break off together. Thusly we will live long and prosper.
    Substitute "armor" for "air" as needed.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Something I noticed when running squads like this is that you're of no practical use on the winning end of the fight. If your side is rolling and has crashed into the enemy base, there's no assets for you to deny. On the flip side, if the enemy is attacking and winning there's usually an armour column backing them up (not to mention Sunderers to destroy). With these sorts of squads it's not enough to find a big enough fight, you need to find a fight where enemy vehicle assets are making a difference. That usually means midfield stalemates on open terrain, or defenses against overwhelming forces.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
        Something I noticed when running squads like this is that you're of no practical use on the winning end of the fight. If your side is rolling and has crashed into the enemy base, there's no assets for you to deny. On the flip side, if the enemy is attacking and winning there's usually an armour column backing them up (not to mention Sunderers to destroy). With these sorts of squads it's not enough to find a big enough fight, you need to find a fight where enemy vehicle assets are making a difference. That usually means midfield stalemates on open terrain, or defenses against overwhelming forces.
        The same exact though has crossed my mind. Let's take air squads for example. You can't get too close to the really big fights without getting melted. I think this is why we see TGWW and N and other dedicated enemy air squads roaming the map together, away from big fights and looking for targets of opportunity, or just looking to take out enemy air specifically. Maybe this is what we should be doing too. Same thing could be said for armor although of course much less mobile.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's perfectly possible to hit a big fight in an air squad. What's impossible is to loiter for any amount of time. Attacks on AA heavy areas are strictly a hit-and-run affair. Reavers are the best suited for that, obviously, and you either need to pick your targets VERY quickly, or have a spotter/scout to ID your targets. Then you either approach from behind a hill peeling off at the first sign of heavy AA (eat a few rounds and screen for your squad instead of continuing to the target) or by hitting the flight ceiling and then dropping down hard on whatever it is you want dead. I've tried both approaches with decent success, though I've yet to really to try and coordinate ground-based spotters. The challenge is in communicating with the squad in question because you can't see each other's markers to zero in your coordinates.

Comment

Originally posted by Zepkron View Post
            -Organization is ABSOLUTE key because, once the enemy begins to react to your attacks, survival is strictly dependent on not getting caught off guard or out of position.
            -Listen for retreat/re-position orders and follow them immediately otherwise you'll slow down the squad as a whole as they try and cover you(which can result in the death of the whole squad).
            -Try not to die... I know this goes without saying but it seems sometimes people don't try hard enough. When one person is out that means the squad as a whole loses some strength and survivability(Especially in Air/armor squads)
            The quoted portion could apply to nearly all squads. Worth remembering.

I Agree air is well suited to this. Harassers would be to I think. I often do this with a liberator and one close friend gunning. It is very effective.

Even on high population nights, there are plenty of stragglers ripe to be picked off.

Possible concern of wasted force if the TG squad is too large. (\10-12 TG guys flying around looking for lone vehicles to kill, or even groups of 2 or 3 vehicles, seems like we are not being efficient with our guys, However, if TG number is small enough not to be wasteful, can be excellent strategy.
            The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Originally posted by Garthra View Post
              Possible concern of wasted force if the TG squad is too large. (\10-12 TG guys flying around looking for lone vehicles to kill, or even groups of 2 or 3 vehicles, seems like we are not being efficient with our guys, However, if TG number is small enough not to be wasteful, can be excellent strategy.
              Garthra, bear in mind, as the squad grows in size so does the amount of potential engagements. When the squad reaches as size of 10-12 people I like to clean up the remaining stragglers then move on to bigger fights or more populated continents. There is a great deal more that 10-12 people can do than 6-8 people.

I keep up this method until the squad/platoon reaches around 18-24 people, than I'll split off bravo and let them pick their own engagements and composition I only really start to implement serious platoon level methods when a third squad is well formed(this is the point where I feel our numbers can begin to make a difference).

Comment

Originally posted by Zepkron View Post
                I only really start to implement serious platoon level methods when a third squad is well formed(this is the point where I feel our numbers can begin to make a difference).
                I just wanted to comment on this in particular, especially as it to applies to getting into COMMAND channel in game (and/or alternatives such as NCC/NCSC, etc.).

I cannot tell you how many times we have been looking for one or two squads to go stop some back cappers during an alert or coordinated ops. Leadership channels are not just for full (or nearly full) platoons. Although I would recommend doing more listening than talking if you are only running a squad or two, don't be afraid to follow what is going on in there and then press that transmit button and say "TG has (1 or 2) squad(s), we can re-secure (such and such base).

This is very helpful some times, as then the people running full platoons (or more) can keep their forces together in the big fights, and not have to peel of a squad or two to go here or there to stop back cappers or work on gaining adjacency to the next big base. This applies more on non lettuce continents obviously (Amerish, etc.) but sometimes it does apply even on Indar.

Comment

I agree with randy, but I think the biggest reason for being uncertain of being able to complete a task with one squad (not that this is the case with all squads or anyone in particular) is that they feel as if theirs squad won't be able to complete the task, the don't wanna lose certs, fear of looking like a bad leader will come up if someone just pull an asset, and a whole plethora of problems arise. These reasons of course aren't the only ones, but for a large part, these are the main reasons. But what needs to be said is that you won't be ridiculed, looked down upon, or embarrassed by making ANY mistake when trying to do something your squad may not be used to. So MAKE KISTAKES, don't give a damn of what others think, because in the end, they are in front if a computer trying to talk smack about someone they met online.
                  Questions about those who deserve it!
                  "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X