What is a "Good Gal Drop?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] What is a "Good Gal Drop?"

Well as many people know, we have several gal Pilots in our outfit (IronMan, DaddyofThree23, Caribr, HannibalKing77 and I). By flying with many of these guys regularly in gals, I was able to sum up what the best ways of dropping infantry from gals, this is MY OPINION on the topic though. The reason you may not like this option is the fact that this is set up for quick, and precise drops, you may want to take your time or be a bit slower, so it may not be best suited for you. This requires little to no experience in driving though so basically anyone who can fly in a straight line is set. The following method consists of the several sets:

First off, you must know the location you are dropping and have all your infantry set. Once this is completed, take off at your Lead's command. A good thing to note here is that you will not have gunners so it isn't needed to keep anyone there. Next you must be a bit higher than the base, not at the max height due to the fact that Infantry sometimes bug on the way down at die from height. Make sure you are lined up DIRECTLY with the target and be at a speed suitable for you. This is the point where it begins to get tricky.

As you approach the base, maybe 200-500 M away, expand your map with the "H" key and the map itself will consume a large portion of your HUD. Next click "Page Down" and click on "Locked" and DO NOT PRESS "Save and Exit" until ready. as your gal is over the target, get approximately 50 meters in front of the drop zone, this is because your yellow player indicator on the map is at the cockpit, and players drop from the back portion of the Galaxy. Once you are a bit ahead of the waypoint or target for drop, click save and exit. The entire squad will be dropped together and accurately and can move together a lot quicker. The Galaxy will then fall back from the base, awaiting further orders.

That was, in my opinion, a "Good Drop." But there can be problems with this method, as any other. These include the gal is gunnerless, so it is vulnerable, meaning that the gal must be able to quickly get away from and AA fire, or if a Lib is over, pray for your life. Another problem which can be seen is that if there are mines in the area, you can easily have the entire squad eliminated at once. There are several ways to combat this though.

One large problem which this method has is that, without the proper cohesion, the squad can be eliminated quickly due to air, or a quick AV Grenade in the area. The best way to combat this is to quickly drop ONTO a building, clear the roof and ground, then jump into the building. This will only take about 5 seconds at most and you will quickly have formed a SITREP on the area and situation. If a Mossie or Sythe were to follow the gal, the walkers would simply suppress them and they wouldn't have time to react to the Infantry falling out of the Gal. Once inside the building, the SL simply must just stay together and have the squad follow the objective. This is how I feel that Infantry Drops can be the BESt, but of course there can be different situations.

One situation which can be seen is that the Gal is gunnerless, but it is NEEDED. Why you ask? The reason is that if you were to have a gunner, well then the gal will need to stop, say "Drop" and there are always those Infantry who see a Thermal Bulldog and refuse to drop, so you gotta Click "Page Down" and physically remove them. This also makes it known when and where the Infantry has dropped to enemy players. If they see the Gal get low, stop and then continue to move, chances are they know there was a drop. But by staying low, moving, and kicking everyone out, then the infantry, depending on their location, does not know the exact location of the drop. So the Infantry, again, is safe to continue on the objective.

These are MY THOUGHT as I keep stating in this post. How do YOU guys feel I can improve this? I am up for ANY comments you guys make and I am looking forward to improving this method so our squads can be just that more efficient.
    Questions about those who deserve it!
    "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Re: What is a "Good Gal Drop?"

Good info though I don't use this method. I do have some additional tips. For the gunners to stay when using the vehicle lock menu you just click down the list keeping 2 and 4 or which ever people you want as gunners. There is a red X next to everyone's name. With practice you can kick everyone out very quickly. Though I rarely use this method too because I like to have control if the gal during the drop.

Also to address the mines on point or c4 you have the bulldogs unload on the drop zone any explosives will be removed before they drop.

Comment

This is a good Gal drop.

Ironman, I like that idea of peppering the LZ with mortar rounds to eliminate prox mines and such. Would kill some enemies, too. Can you see the mines in thermal if you are close enough? If so, #4 gunner should be looking for these on the way in. Or just putting rounds directly on the flag, as this is where the prox mines usually are located.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I want to add something. In large part because I have been frustrated being in many failed GAL drops. I see two ways in which a Gal drop can be used effectively, when dropping into hostile territory.

1) Defensive reinforcement.

2) Breaching force, to seal the deal on an attack that was ongoing.

Now what both of these situations have in common: there is a respawn available at the drop location. In situation 1) There is the sector's hard spawn which you can respawn on. In situation 2), there is already an attack going, therefore the friendly attackers likely have a spawn.

It is my experience that about 90% of Gal drops fail, if the condition is not met that there must be a spawn available.

This estimate does not count situations where no enemy are present. Most Gal drops we do are offensive ones, and without spawn available. It only works for ghostcaps. My usual experience is We drop in . We sit for a few mins on the point. Enemy reinforces and kills us off as we cannot reinforce.

I really hope people will consider the time and place of using gal drops more carefully. For example, if we really have to drop offensively, say an empty small base. How about just dropping 2 guys. Keep the rest off in the next sector. If the enemy reinforces you can drop the rest, and hopefully catch them low on reinforcements.

If the condition of having a spawn is not met, one should be very conscious of this, and see if the mission is feasible taking into account this serious logistical weakness. If the mission is deemed feasible, or perhaps desperately important, and it is decided to commit, then tactics should be adapted to an "Alamo" fight, without reinforcement.

=> Get more medics.
        => Medics must put all effort into staying safe for as long as possible, reviving only when covered.

I'm not a fan of offensive Gal drops generally, but if we must do them, then I recommend we go with the testes to wall and do it properly, similarly to how we have been doing gate shield diffuser attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
          I really hope people will consider the time and place of using gal drops more carefully. For example, if we really have to drop offensively, say an empty small base. How about just dropping 2 guys. Keep the rest off in the next sector. If the enemy reinforces you can drop the rest, and hopefully catch them low on reinforcements.
          If I saw more of this, I would join your squad every time. I see so many small objectives being handled by too many men that the waste of resources sickens me. It often drives me to leave a squad and lone wolf it, since I feel like I'll be more productive that way. You can leave 2-3 people on the point until a stronger resistance shows up and then reinforce it. If no resistance shows up you can have those other men ready move on another target that needs the help more. Any squad leader who starts doing this will have my full support.

Comment

=> Get more medics.
            => Medics must put all effort into staying safe for as long as possible, reviving only when covered.
            These things should be SOP, all of the time, not just when doing airborne infantry assaults. Although they are as you say crucial to the success of any such attack (airborne or not, but especially airborne). As is squad cohesion, which much be achieved by playing a while together beforehand, you cannot expect it to magically appear just because you need it to keep everyone together tight on the point, people holding spawns and Medics (and everyone in the squad for that matter) playing smart, with good SA. And this is why most Gal drops fail, not because of lack of spawns (assuming appropriate level of enemy forces and they do not reinforce overwhelmingly).
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I respectfully, but fully disagree with you on that last bit Randy.

Sometimes offensive drops without a spawn work. Usually they are pretty epic as it requires you to survive against the odds. In the long run it's a fail imo though bc the success rate is too low, if you subtract any ghostcaps. Against an equal numbers, equal skill enemy, fighting e.g. for an outdoors control point, the attack is lost, because the enemy has a hardspawn close and you have at most a beacon.

Seems to me there is a memory effect, those few epic holdouts in attack without a spawn being more memorable so that we overestimate the successrate.

The key point in my previous post was to ask for more consideration of whether a gal drop is used at the right time and the right place. Then if a risk is to be taken, to prepare properly for that risk. The only time I see high risk being justified is when there is a high reward possible, e.g; near end of alerts.

Comment

Sometimes offensive drops without a spawn work. Usually they are pretty epic as it requires you to survive against the odds. In the long run it's a fail imo though bc the success rate is too low, if you subtract any ghostcaps. Against an equal numbers, equal skill enemy, fighting e.g. for an outdoors control point, the attack is lost, because the enemy has a hardspawn close and you have at most a beacon.
                No offensive battle should be against equal numbers and equal skill. The point of the offensive Gal Drop is to quickly bring a surge of troops to a focal point, you don't want equal numbers at the point of drop and you don't want the enemy to bring a larger force to bare on you. This means you are either tipping an already pitched battle with a focused insertion or are bringing an overwhelming force to bare.

The key point in my previous post was to ask for more consideration of whether a gal drop is used at the right time and the right place. Then if a risk is to be taken, to prepare properly for that risk. The only time I see high risk being justified is when there is a high reward possible, e.g; near end of alerts.
                There is little to no amount of 'high risk' with an attempted Gal drop. There is the risk of failure and the opportunity costs associated with that but by and large a Gal is easily replaced and soldiers even more-so. This doesn't mean always try try try despite incredibly low chance of success, it just means don't be afraid to try. The worst that'll happen is that it wont work and they still keep the base.

Comment

Glad you see what I mean about tipping the battle/overwhelming force there Ytman.

Now on the risk of a Gal drop. The main currency in this game is imo time. What you lose when redeploying for a drop is
                  -situational awareness
                  -control of the local area
                  -time

In theory, a constantly mobile GAL-drop squad, could be almost like making two squads out of one (like doing medivac-marine harass in SC2). But this requires great micro (in sc2) because you need to pick out advantageous engagements . If too many of the harass moves fail, then no actual harassment is done, and defensively a huge weakness is exposed.

I spend sometimes a lot of time with few targets on the ground. But I've experienced e.g. 3 failed gal drops consecutively. When that happens you have spent 10 to 20 minutes totally combat ineffective, exposing as in SC2 the weak defense due to people being in Wgate or in transit. But this cost, of not having boots on the ground, is easy to miss.

In a game that is so fluid with so many variables, it is hard to identify if you lose a base by having guys in transit. I think this is what happens. But there is no way of proving it. One can only observe, and attempt a theory of what happens.

But specifically in alerts, I think this time lost on the ground can be very important. Depending on circumstances, failing 3 drops in a row with a platoon, should imo be seen as losing a base, as losing a fight over a large base.

I think part of the reason I started posting here is that I would hope people consider that cost more. Y'all don't have to accept my theory, make your own better one, but at least consider what IS the cost of a gal drop vs the possible benefits? How do I maximize that equation?

Comment

I have seen a lot of bad Gal drops recently. Awful in fact. Usually what this boils down to is a general lack of squad cohesion (although less so lately, as several of us have been harping on that). But moreso I have seen just bad insertions, where the infantry is dropped all over the objective, spread out, and/or not close enough to (i.e., right on top of, or at the door to) the objective. In order for the Gal drop to be effective, it must be like a focused punch. Every one of the squads involved must land precisely on the target building and stay alive in order to hold the point for as long as possible.

Also noobs / pubbies in the squad have a tendency to respawn immediately at the closest Sundy, instead of holding their spawn and waiting for a medic to get to them, which makes the attack fall apart completely. Oh noes, I cannot possibly be expected to wait 45 whole seconds, must respawn immediately and GO GO GO GO GO!!!!1111!!!!!11

The focused offensive Gal drop is basically a form of flanking. Let's take the example shown in the video above. As detailed in this AAR thread, there is more to the story than what is shown in the video. Graphic courtesy of ps2maps.com, and my elite skills in MS Paint. :p

Friendly forces (including us) were banging our heads against the southern gate, we held the south flag and the east flag (B and A, respectively) but after repeated attempts, could not reach the vehicle shield at center, much less C point. And this was with 2 squads of organized TG, working effectively together. So I called to fall back to the warpgate, form up as MAX heavy infantry, and load in Gals. We flew around to the west side of map, final approach from due west and low.

By the way let me jump in here and say this is another common reason Gal drops fail. Flying in at an altitude of 100-300m (where every enemy from miles around can see and therefore shoot at you), and making a bee line from the warpgate straight to the target. Always look at your map before taking off, and plan your route such that you are not flying over large concentrations of enemy (which are likely to include AA, remember all the plebes who whine on SOE forums for air nerfs hate pilots and love to shoot us down!). If possible, also take the time to fly around and do your final approach from an unexpected direction (in this case, from the western edge of the map) In other words, DO NOT fly directly from our southern warpgate straight over their spawn (which was likely full of burster MAXes).

I cannot tell you how many times I was the only Galaxy to deliver my troops on target, because the other pilots either did not have the skill, knowledge, or foresight (or they were simply in too much of a hurry, or more often than not, simply flew too high) to take a moment and concentrate on the above details to insure a good drop. And when you don't get the proper number of troops on target, the attack will fail.

So anyway, proper approach and drop right on target from an unexpected direction. Now we have flanked them, we are in their rear and they start to turn some of their forces to deal with us, which allows the main front forces to finally overwhelm them and take the base. A well executed drop which resulted in cracking the fight open and allowing us to take the base.

But note the need for a follow on attack, or blueberries providing the main push. You just can't air drop 2 squads into a base with a platoon of enemies, and no friendly push and expect success. A proper offensive Gal drop is a thing to be used in the right time and place, to break a stalemate on the front lines, cause the enemy to collapse inwards so the main force can make progress from the outside. If executed correctly, under the right circumstances, it is an extremely effective tactic.

And so my base contention is that most Gal drops that fail are either 1.not executed correctly (which covers many things, see all details above), or 2.not employed at the proper time/place (which includes ratios of friendly to enemy troops, supporting / additional troops on the main push, etc.).

It is important to know and understand this tactic as a PL in PS2, as many of the other outfits (currently VCO in particular, used to be CML, now even us some times) employ these tactics often. However, as shown, in order to insure success it requires the rest of us to keep pushing from the outside in a follow on attack. So keep that in mind if you are getting to that point in your game where you are starting to idle or coordinate in COMMAND channel in game. You will have a brief window when friendly forces are air dropping on the point to push in from the outside, so make sure to sieze on that opportunity to press your assault.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X