Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy of my NCC topic: "How about an overall plan for alerts (and in between alerts)?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy of my NCC topic: "How about an overall plan for alerts (and in between alerts)?"

Hi, you may or may not know me from the server. SOE forcibly changed my in-game name to BigManAl though.

I've been observing rather more from the sidelines the progress of the NCC, sometimes taking part trough Randy, or trough command chat. I'm going to be so blunt as to share my evaluation of the current MO of the NCC in my very first post, with the intention of warming any readers to my proposals that follow from it.

1) Evaluation

*Cooperation and comms:
    This is going really well imo. I am pleased that the NCC is now more open to also using in-game command comms. In general comms procedures followed ("indar comms,.....) are effective and concise. Sometimes the talking gets a bit out of hand, but when I call for more comms discipline, I'm not flamed, and it improves.

Together with this, outfits seem to be doing well trying to help each-other out where they can. this part is going about as good as we could hope for I think.

*Strategic planning:
    Big black hole. By this I mean, there is not an overall strategy as far as I know. All decisions are made ad hoc, always in reaction to the situation, never planning ahead.

Perhaps some of the outfit leaders are planning ahead, formulating a strategy to succeed in alerts specifically. But even if some do, this is not shining trough in the NCC play.

2) Suggestion: formulate a plan

a) For alerts:

This would have to be decided by outfit leaders at the start of an alert, after an outfit rollcall. Different oufit leaders that want to could propose a way of going about the fight at hand. After a short back and forth, hopefully some can agree on an overall strategy to win the alert, or tie it, or get 2nd place.

What strategy? THis is the fun part. If we could start agreeing NCC wide strategies, there is a new level of gameplay that becomes unlocked. You are all outfit and platoon leaders. I'm sure you could formulate many interesting strategies. Here are some of my ideas, as an example of the kind of planning I'm proposing.

Examples:

*Capture continent alert => keep only basic amount of territories at the start so that we don't get attacked by both opfor factions. Then in the last hour or perhaps even last 40 minutes mount an NCC wide assault when TR and VS are mostly fighting eachother.

*Capture continent alert => push hard from the start on all fronts if you have a worldpop advantage, hoping to hit the enemy so hard to make them give up early.

*Capture all Ampstations alert => agree on one continent to deploy a maximum of NCC forces on throughout the alert. Capture all Ampstations there to have at minimum a tie. Possibly mount a huge assault on one other

There are an infinite amount of ways to look at PS2, for one thing, if you repy to this thread, feel free to add your own proposals for alert plans. I'd be interested to hear how other leaders think about this.

b) In between alerts.

Currently there seems to be some downtime in most outfits right after alerts. I would like to see a single objective formulated for NCC in between alerts. To keep us busy, to keep us working together, and to accomplish something, even if it's just something silly.

Examples:

*Capture and hold continent x

*Capture and hold facility x

*Attack only faction x

This would offer a loose enough way to coordinate whoever wants to coordinate, whilst offering opportunity for more relaxed play in between the alerts. I personally would love this kind of objective. But then I hate Indar, so that might be part of it :d.

Please offer your thoughts and examples of plans in replies. And thank you for reading.

Re: Copy of my NCC topic: "How about an overall plan for alerts (and in between alert

Yes I agree with that. I just think it's very difficult to stick with a plan when there are so many variables that could make completing the plan impossible. So most outfits fall back on the easier option which is to react to attacks rather than work together to complete a faction wide plan.

My thoughts on some strategies:

Like we did today with the lib squad we supported a small squad trying to go under the radar to get the platoons a good attack position. I think this could work well since libs can hit from the territory next to the objective making the pop not spike.

Comment

Re: Copy of my NCC topic: "How about an overall plan for alerts (and in between alert

And tonight, that was an amazing job of showing how NCC deals with variables. When that small squad moved togain adjacency, it was decided by the NCC to be SURE that the VS would not know until the latest moment possible, eliminating a chance of us losing at a stalemate.
      Questions about those who deserve it!
      "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

I've seen massive improvement in our performance as a faction in alerts the last few days, I like it. I especially like the fact I haven't been redeploying 10 or more times in the last 6 minutes of an alert, which gave the general impression that we were completely and utterly disorganized. Well done.
        MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Redeploying a lot has nothing to do with being disorganized, quite the contrary. VS and TR are very good about moving large forces around the map (and even to different continents) quickly, and we need to be able to move appropriately sized forces to respond to them in kind. NC are getting better at it, and that is why we are winning more alerts (among other reasons).

I used to think as you do until I understood cap timers and how they apply to offense and defense, and how that figures into the larger scale strategy in PS2. It is a very fast paced game some times, due to the fact that some bases can cap in 3-4 minutes. But that is a whole another discussion, which I may make a post on some time as I feel it is a bit misunderstood by some people who find that pace frenetic.

I will just say, that the first time we participated in combined NCC ops, I thought Dzire (leader of CML) was on speed. lol The pace was so fast (or so I thought at the time) and we were soooooooo slow, by far the slowest participating outfit. The other outfits would be ready to lift off from the warpgate, and most of us hadn't even redeployed yet. It used to take us minutes to get loaded up in Gals. Now we can have almost everyone loaded up in Gals in about 30 seconds usually. So, well done TG, you are now one of the elite outfits on the server, very few others can do this. Which is why I usually deploy us in this role, because I know that very few others can move a platoon that quickly. And this is also why we have won some alerts. Not to mention, those last second re-secures for an alert win are thrilling, are they not? :)
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

ON AN OVERALL PLAN:
            Great idea Al! An overall plan is a really good thing to talk about. Centralized Strategic planning would help.

But I think coordinating and working through discussion/collaboration is the key. Afterall, there is no overall commander of the NC. No one can "make" a strategic plan. There is no centralized body with the authority/power to make one.

Because of the lack of centralized authority, I think if you are leading the Tactical Gamer platoon during an alert, it is your responsibility to work with the other PLs talking on command, and come up with a general plan for NC. I think Platoon leaders should try to come up with a plan they agree on more or less, and the ones Al laid out all sound like good plans. It will come down to mutual respect and discussion between the PLs. If we want an overall plan for NC, I think the focus should not be on what the plan is, but on working together with other groups to ensure cooperation. As Al said, cooperation is going well. I think over time that will lead to broader plans if we keep it building. Only by building and maintaining good relations can we hope to get a plan. What the plan ends up being, is step 2 so to speak. That said, I think BigAL laid out some good ones that we could propose in command chat when appropriate.

ON REDEPLOYING:
            I agree with Randy speed does not necessarily equal disorganization.

Feeling of Disorganization

But, I see the point of certain other people; speed can feel like disorganization if you are a squad member/squad leader. You may have just pulled assets, you may have just moved into position, you may have just breached the enemy defense... and then you are pulling out. Suddenly you think "Why did we fight so hard to get there, if being here doesn't matter enough for us to stay here?" I understand this can hurt morale. Sometimes it hurts mine.

Planning/warning of redeploy, when possible, can minimize that feeling
            I believe when possible the PL should give some advanced warning to SLs when he plans to move them. I often tell my squads "Alpha, you have 10 more minutes to accomplish that objective, then I will be moving you." That way the guys in alpha know their time frame, and can plan appropriately. While sometimes this level of advanced warning is not possible, I think whenever possible warnings should be given. At least tell certain squads not to pull too many assets, because they may be redeployed soon. As much warning as the commander has, he could convey to the squad leaders. This makes redeploying feel organized.

Redeploy without warning is sometimes necessary, and the chain of command must be followed without delay
            That said, sometimes a redeploy is necessary. In the end the players must trust their commanders and follow orders instantly if redeploy is called. We follow chain of command, and that means even when we don't understand or disagree. We follow.
            The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

"But I think coordinating and working through discussion/collaboration is the key. After all, there is no overall commander of the NC. No one can "make" a strategic plan. There is no centralized body with the authority/power to make one." This is exactly what I was thinking of in OP. There is no need for an incredible plan, but for a banner to unite under more, a focal point perhaps.

Sort of a side comment to Randy. I did for the first time last night see as you said that NC won the Esamir alert with easy in equal pop. Well done.

But. This leaves me with the feeling there is no place for me in this game anymore. I did not come to TG to play the most effective way. I came to TG to play in an interesting way. The effectiveness of last night's operation leaves us basically with gameplay that almost comes down to infantry only, no maxxes, no armor (expect for one-off deployments).

This just takes so much out of the gameplay, narrowing it down to a few tactics that are specifically effective. Because of the respawn abilities it is possible with gals and redeployments to defend very effectively all over the game world. In the end that is a huge gameplay flaw. If this were to happen in Starcraft 2, one type of play being so effective that all other units go unused, they would patch the crap out of the game so that other units become competitive.

I'll play I think, but I won't PL for the time being. After all there is an alert every hour and a bit. It's a game for enjoying, if I have to play in a way that I don't enjoy... well that would be stupid so that is why I won't.

It was a nice win, but a sad day for ps2. I love the NCC cooperation there was. Amazing. I myself would choose to keep the organisation, but I wouldn't mind losing the alerts at all if that was the price to pay for not having to use this for me quite monotonous gameplay.

Comment

I understand what you mean Al, matter of fact I understand exactly what you mean and felt that way many times for myself, which is why a lot of the times I went solo. I get the whole idea of re-deployment, I just never couldn't understand why we were all the time the ones to be re-deployed. If we were re-deployed to save a Bio-lab, dropped in, fought and saved it, then re-deployed before it capped back, we have actually accomplished nothing. The problem becomes one of the cap timer, PL's have had some success in playing the cap timer game and like all successes they want to repeat them. So the platoon gets bounced all over the place playing the cap timer game. It's not a matter of skill, organization, some brilliant PL, it's a matter of infantry numbers vrs cap time. So the re-deployment game will continue until some outfit comes up with a great and decisive way to counter it. When that happens then there will be a "new favor of the day" strategy. And let's not forget that the ONLY reason the cap timer game works is because it's a time within a time game. Cap timer vrs end of alert timer.

I understand as well that people don't want you as a individual to be concerned about the KDR. But at the same time want to employ real world tactics which is on a whole different world than the KDR. No "real" commander wants any deaths, but they will take as many kills as you can dish up. This game is more of one where you throw bodies at an objective with the way many PL's play it, hence they could care less about your KDR, which mean they are not thinking real world tactics. So I think it's important that there is a distinct separation between "real world tactics" and the way we play PS2. Yes, we can emulate real world tactics with regards to strategy, but not really employ them without considering the consequences which hardly any PL does.

Fast track re-deployment is basically applying as many band aids as possible before the end of a alert...........be prepared because your going to die a lot so keep a few for yourself.

I've said before that BigAl is a brilliant strategist, and I believe that to today. But even with that said I don't always enjoy playing the game the way he enjoys playing it. But that comes down to our different styles of playing and not because one way is better than another.

Strategy begins at the beginning of the alert, and should build to a crescendo to the end. Too many times we are more shredding at the end of the alert than it coming to the foregone conclusion that it should be. Maybe that should be the focus more............the beginning and the middle, and not so much on the end. It's much more demoralizing for the enemy.

Comment

I abound in Al's and Rage's ways. The reason is : I love this game because there are a lot of opportunities to care. As examples but not exclusively, care about the Empire's assets, MAXes, Armors, Air support; care about the troops morale, we play for such a big amount of time; care about preparation, having proper battlefield intel, just as an RTS for proper counter.

I like to construct fun factor around as little success as a seek and retrieve for an empire's MAX dead nearby; around living the whole Tank operator life from the Warpgate to the battlefield, outmaneuvering the enemy for dozens of minutes before the fight; around holding to every pieces of air support we have in the area; etc.

Alerts are accessory. (but I also care for victory, so... heh! "Damn if you do, damn if you don't" as they say.)

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                    This is exactly what I was thinking of in OP. There is no need for an incredible plan, but for a banner to unite under more, a focal point perhaps.

Sort of a side comment to Randy. I did for the first time last night see as you said that NC won the Esamir alert with easy in equal pop. Well done.
                    Man, you need to get on more often. Things are a lot different than they were a couple months ago. COMMAND channel is actually useful now in game, and we win more than our fair share of alerts. A lot of this has come out of an increased call in NCC for all outfit NCOs, Officers, Leads, and even concerned regular members to jump into each others' squads and just play together and get to know one another a bit. Then, when you are speaking to each other in COMMAND, it is someone you know, at least a little bit. Which is better than trying to convince "some stranger on the internet in a video game" (COMMAND channel) to go along with your plan. And this is what the NCC has evolved into now. Most of the coordination actually happens in game COMMAND, but NCC forums and TS have become sort of like an Officer's club, a community of sorts, the community of the NC leadership on Mattherson. And the in game results have become much better as a result.

One thing that I think most people do not know, is that all the major VS outfits on our server (GOKU, I can't remember all of the other ones) have all been friends and working together since PS1. They have gotten in many cases to know each other personally after all of those years, and they work very well together. In fact, when PS2 came out, they all sat down and decided to play on the same server together, and that server was Mattherson. It's no wonder that the VS have been dominating here for so long. So this is what we have been up against. But the NC are finally starting to do the same thing, and we are turning things around because of that.

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                    But. This leaves me with the feeling there is no place for me in this game anymore. I did not come to TG to play the most effective way. I came to TG to play in an interesting way. The effectiveness of last night's operation leaves us basically with gameplay that almost comes down to infantry only, no maxxes, no armor (expect for one-off deployments).

This just takes so much out of the gameplay, narrowing it down to a few tactics that are specifically effective. Because of the respawn abilities it is possible with gals and redeployments to defend very effectively all over the game world. In the end that is a huge gameplay flaw. If this were to happen in Starcraft 2, one type of play being so effective that all other units go unused, they would patch the crap out of the game so that other units become competitive.

I'll play I think, but I won't PL for the time being. After all there is an alert every hour and a bit. It's a game for enjoying, if I have to play in a way that I don't enjoy... well that would be stupid so that is why I won't.

It was a nice win, but a sad day for ps2. I love the NCC cooperation there was. Amazing. I myself would choose to keep the organisation, but I wouldn't mind losing the alerts at all if that was the price to pay for not having to use this for me quite monotonous gameplay.
                    Well, I am very sorry that you feel that way. I do agree I wish there were a few less alerts, it seems now as if more time is spent in alerts than not.

Also, I wouldn't say that there are no place for those other things, but rather it is a choice to make between a couple alternatives. If you go combined arms, say one squad armor and 1-3 squads infantry, you are gaining the firepower and protection of the armor, at the loss of speed/flexibility in moving around the map (especially redeploying direct).

At the other end of the spectrum is infantry only, no MAXes or armor, fastest and most flexible to redeploy (can jump around the map in a couple hops, don't even need Gals), but you are losing the added punch of the MAXes and tanks (and the enjoyment of using them, for those that do).

Somewhere in the middle is what we were actually doing a bit of Friday night, or were trying to anyway. And this is something I actually got from you Al (or rather a combination of your love of MAXes and my love of persistent Gals and airborne infantry). Which is to run a MAX heavy infantry squad, and transport them around with persistent Galaxies. Thus you gain the punch (and enjoyment) of using MAXes, as well as having the mobility to move around quickly. A sort of middle ground between the above two extremes. This works very well as a force multiplier also, 2-3 squads of mostly TG as MAX heavy infantry has a lot of punch and with our usual cohesiveness this can be very effective. And I feel this is where the sweet spot can be for TG.

One thing we need to do though is get into the habit of keeping one Galaxy up at all times in each squad. If one goes down, that person needs to pull again, or if unable, someone else should. The couple times the speed of our op on Friday fell apart were usually due to one squad not maintaining a persistent Gal.

Originally posted by Rageq3a View Post
                    I understand what you mean Al, matter of fact I understand exactly what you mean and felt that way many times for myself, which is why a lot of the times I went solo. I get the whole idea of re-deployment, I just never couldn't understand why we were all the time the ones to be re-deployed.
                    Well, the short answer is, because we can. There are very few outfits on NC Mattherson that are disciplined enough and therefore capable to redeploy that quickly. Especially in platoon size. I remember a while back, you wanted TG to be elite RAGE. Well, now we are my friend. :) And that is why when NCC COMMAND pick up the phone and dial 911, they reach TG command HQ. :) Congratulations! :)

Originally posted by Rageq3a View Post
                    Strategy begins at the beginning of the alert, and should build to a crescendo to the end. Too many times we are more shredding at the end of the alert than it coming to the foregone conclusion that it should be. Maybe that should be the focus more............the beginning and the middle, and not so much on the end. It's much more demoralizing for the enemy.
                    There was strategy employed in the beginning, middle, and end of that Esamir alert. Which is part of the reason why we won. It was decided to only pursue so much territory, and then stop (usually in the past, NC would over pursue, and end up with way too much territory in the first hour, only to lose it all later).

What you likely saw at the end of that alert was us redeploying a lot to defend our territories as we had the lead in the alert and therefore started being attacked on both fronts, by TR and VS simultaneously. TR in particular like to wait until the last 30 mins and then blitz a certain area with a lot of troops (2-3 platoons). But with excellent comms, coordination, and all NC forces participating, we were able to hold them off for the win.

There are other strategies that pertain to other continents (certain territories we always try to hold) as well as multi continent alerts, etc... If anyone is interested to hear what those might be, I encourage you to join NCC and read the forums there, or at minimum cert the COMMAND channel and start listening in there. I encourage involvement, but I would advise those new to the COMMAND channel (and to large scale strategy in general) to maybe listen in there a bit first, and learn, before offering suggestions. Because of myself (and a few others) TG have a good reputation in COMMAND channel and in game in general, so please try and continue that tradition, and not detract from it. :)
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by bregard031 View Post
                      I abound in Al's and Rage's ways. The reason is : I love this game because there are a lot of opportunities to care. As examples but not exclusively, care about the Empire's assets, MAXes, Armors, Air support; care about the troops morale, we play for such a big amount of time; care about preparation, having proper battlefield intel, just as an RTS for proper counter.

I like to construct fun factor around as little success as a seek and retrieve for an empire's MAX dead nearby; around living the whole Tank operator life from the Warpgate to the battlefield, outmaneuvering the enemy for dozens of minutes before the fight; around holding to every pieces of air support we have in the area; etc.

Alerts are accessory. (but I also care for victory, so... heh! "Damn if you do, damn if you don't" as they say.)
                      Victory is sweet, for sure, and alerts can be fun as well, but as Bregard points out correctly, alerts are an accessory. For our outfit, winning them by applying every mechanic and gimmick the game provides instead of winning through use of battlefield proven org and force structures creates a conflict with our primer. There's a lot more I'd like to add to this discussion so time allowing I'll chime in again. For now, I'll just reinforce that Alerts and NCC coordination are strictly secondary to our outfit and how we operate.

Comment

@ All:

Pretty pleased with this constructive discussion.

@ RAge: "the ONLY reason the cap timer game works is because it's a time within a time game. Cap timer vrs end of alert timer."

I find that a good analysis of the game mechanic. THis is the game, and quick gal redeploys are currently the winning macro strategy no doubt.
                        I try to remember that, this meta-game if you will, :p could change at any time. Either trough changes in respawning, resources, ... Alerts could also be gone tomorrow. It only ever was an ad hoc patch-work solution.

@ Randy. I could use a list as a sticky here of prominent leaders of the big outfits that we can work with. I was trying to work with them again a few days ago but in 5 minutes we had 15 plans. Everyone was doing their own thing. Meanwhile they were all going on in command chat. BUT... I don't know who is a big-mouth narcissist with an ego larger than his squad, and who is actually commanding a force worth working with.

I got to be able to ignore those silly people who think they have something to add in the overall plan with one squad of guys. I mean they'll be attacking a biolab stupidly and then keep asking for backup etc. While it is actually just a terrible fail-trap if you listen to them.

So shortlist of people worth listening to would do a lot. Also, we might get those other guys with low manpower to realize that they should complement the ncc plans and not try to be the vanguard.

Comment

I've heard it said that we are better off starting with a low territory percentage and maintaining a low percentage until the end of the game where we pull out all stops to gain more territory. The reasoning behind this is that the other factions are then fighting each other instead of fighting us to gain territory from the faction that has the bigger piece. So if VS has 40% and TR has 35% and NC has 25%, the TR and NC will be fighting the VS for more territory. While this may seem like a reasonable assumption on the surface it leaves several issues on the table yet to be dealt with.

1) The unknown factor of new people joining the server and those on different continents: New VS people joining the server see that their faction is winning an alert and then join the fight to hold their interest. Those on different continents join the continent to contribute to winning the alert............no different than we do.
                          2) Many bases are infinitely harder to win than to hold due to terrain. In particular the tower bases, where a smaller force can hold off a larger force due to the defensive tactical advantage of a tower.
                          3) It's easier to bounce insurgents from base to base to defend, than it is to bounce insurgents from base to base to take. (this is the re-deploy tactic we use at end of an alert)

You only have these issues if your ahead of the territory game. Amp station and power alerts are zerk games.

Because of the time game within a time game, if you have the larger slice of the territory pie, depending on the size of the slice. You don't have to prevent the other faction from capping a base, just slow them down enough to prevent them from gathering more territory than necessary to win the alert. Due to the Hex territory percentages, concentrate the forces into those areas of greater territory percentage. Considering the "flow" of the game (air, armor, infantry) mount defenses accordingly. Air will always be first and primary targets, without air support the ground game becomes more tactical. Since a lot of the air support can be taken out prior to the ground game even beginning, that should be the primary focus. Armor and AV then becomes the secondary focus, if the armor is dealt with appropriately then the infantry has no resupply and no ground support and the front dies due to attrition. This whole process involves no more than 10 minutes at max. Once the advance has been halted then an assessment of whether the enemy has become entrenched or withdrawing needs to be done to know whether troop movement can be made or whether the front needs to be held.

This little assessment at the end of the tactical process shows that just because you "can do something" doesn't mean you should. And please Randy don't confuse "experience" with "elite", I will agree there are some elite member of TG. I have fought and died along side them, repaired and been repaired by them, gunned and drove with them so I will agree there are elite within TG. But the ability to quickly load a deploying gal may be considered organized, but elite? I don't think so at least not in my definition.

But just what is my definition of "elite", to do more with less, plain and simply. In the example above, when you can hold that front with 1/3 the people you needed to take it, then your placing the "elite" forces on that station. When those forces are feeding tactical and actionable intel to command then you have elite, When those forces on station can "harrass" the enemy preventing them from pooling forces from that region for risk of losing it, then you have elite.

I'm not discounting your definition of elite Randy, just saying that your and mine definitions are different. And there are members of TG that you could do my definition with, if you used them in that manner.

Every base, and every slice of terrain requires a different strategy. Each has it's own weakness and each has it's own strengths. There is only one way to apply one strategy to everything and that's the numbers game.........throw more bodies at it. Which in all honesty is the way the majority of people play the game.

I propose a TG "play book", one which actually has strategy in it for the different scenarios and bases. A play book that doesn't consisted of what we think, but what we know works. Nothing is written in stone, but a guidelines for the new PL's to follow and execute and mold upon to fit their style.

Comment

Rage:

I like the idea of a playbook. It's a way to solidify our strategy into what works and what only might work. That way we can employ the more reliable tactics when they are needed most, while the rest of the time we molding other tactics into something more stable.

As for the elite forces, I completely agree with Rage's definition. And it's a tactic I have only seen very rarely, mostly only in small outfits that limit recruiting. I think it would prove much more effective to utilize elite forces in tangent with the general forces to accomplish our goals. A simplistic example would be using the large numbers of a general force to distract the enemy to allow a small number of elite forces to take the objective.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to evaluate what we might be able to accomplish in terms of our elite forces.

Comment

I agreed with you Emrys but I think the terms of an "elite" force would be better suited in another thread as this one is about strategy in general.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X