Tank video from reddit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [VIDEO] Tank video from reddit

Saw this on Reddit, thought other's here might be interested.

A few things I noticed:
    • When he calls out that the shield has stopped rendering, it's actually dropped from the generator being destroyed, so there isn't any exploiting going on here
    • The SL is extremely cautious about engaging enemy armour in unfavourable terrain
    • The SL is even more cautious when AV infantry get involved. The moment enemy infantry start engaging armour he gets his guys out of there ASAP. Very good call, IMO.
    • The armour squad readily gives a LOT of ground in an effort to string out the enemy and force them through multiple chokepoints. Really good use of terrain.
    • Laying down tank mines during the retreat is a really nice trick
    • The magrider formation is pretty badly disrupted when lightnings or harassers charged right through them. In this case the pilots had the discipline to keep facing forward and let other tanks/secondary gunners deal with the problem, but a less disciplined group could easily have gotten tangled up and facing the wrong way in response if they'd turned the main guns to follow. Disadvantage of the forward mounted main cannon, and a reason, I suppose, that mags might be even more dependent on secondary gunners than we are.
    • They got punished a LOT harder for overextending than I think we do, but had a lot more freedom of maneuver. Another asymmetrical aspect of the tanks... we can fight toe-to-toe and pop a shield if we goof up, but they have a lot more flexibility. Certainly we've been on the receiving end of Mags in strange places.

Re: Tank video from reddit

Good find its nice seeing other armor squads. I saw a 903 tr outfit tag this might be on mattherson.

A few things I noticed:

I wasn't very impressed with the SL but more with the squad members. They kept a cool head and provided important information to each other instead of cursing and giving each other death threats.

The SL's tone throughout the video made me nervous lol instead of explaining what his doing he sounds like all hope is lost and they are going to die.

I like the tank mine idea I'll see if I can implement this in my playbook.

Over all they did a good job holding the TR off. If this is mattherson It would be fun to go up against them if we havent already =p

Comment

I saw AOD and VG tags, too, as well as yell chat castigating AOD for doing nothing but zergs. Definitely Mattherson. ;)

Comment

Things I noticed
        *Squad members are smart and follow order as soon as possible (This should always happen)
        *SL is rather good on strategy wise, although his tone could use a bit of work. (It's really hard to drive armor, SL, and keep a calm tone but all of those are important)
        *Most of those things (such as falling back) are things that I try to get my armor squads to do with extreme urgency. Yet there are always a few slackers who think "just 2 more shots mom!" and hang around. It seems the difference in armor teaches some discipline.

Comment

Yeah, the responsiveness of the squad is pretty great, and they couldn't have pulled that maneuver off without it. When they first retreat from the wall, actually, some are a little bit slower and nearly lose their tanks for their trouble.

The margin of error for armour ops is really tight, second only to an ESF squad, IMO, and it's even a different beast from that. While armour doesn't have to worry about instant obliteration and split second reactions the same way a fighter wing does, often the critical error or delay for an armour squad can precede the actual consequences by minutes or more, like when you're caught by units you should have manuevered away from or put yourself out of position without an escape route.

Comment

I've often tried to suggest people drop AT mines during armored retreats. It is rare when it actually is listened to but there was a particular time on Esamir when the order to put down AT mines and wait for us to be 'pursued'. We used the terrain and held a position that had eyes on the particular spot and when the TR came in force they did not last long despite outnumbering us :D

One concern/warning would be to never be near the mines you've placed. Certainly they will not detonate you because of IFF but any enemy fire can detonate them resulting in your destruction.

Comment

In that scenario, I wonder if my standard tactic of stacking two mines on top of each other is actually a good idea. Normally I'd do that so that the double blast can one-shot a target, but if you're using the area as a kill zone anyways you're likely going to be able to mop up a few damaged vehicles and benefit from a wider spread and less unnecessarily triggered mines (from when an already damaged vehicle hits two mines). Certainly something I'd be interested in trying out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X