"Vanguard Surprise" Loadout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Vanguard Surprise" Loadout

This is essentially the load out I've been recently toying with in my vanguard, and it's come to some serious success when combating larger forces than one's self.
    WARNING: requires good aim from both gunners.

This load out is all about hitting first, hitting hard and running fast.

Main gun: Titan-150 AP
    Secondary: ES540 Halberd

Utility: Shield
    Defense: Stealth (3-4)
    Chassis: Racer

Operation:
    It is crucial for this class to have as much alpha strike damage as possible. This way the enemy loses as much health as possible before engaging your vehical.
    Try to take as little damage as possible, and repair often, you don't have your fancy auto repair anymore. If this means popping your shield extremely often, so be it.
    Trigger discipline is extremely important as well. one shot and you appear on everyone's radar for quite the distance. Also make sure you and your gunner pick the same target.
    Try not to miss. I know it's always a given, but without auto repair you don't want to draw out your fights very long.
    Use your stealth and speed to escape. the second you fly out of view you will disappear off everyone's radar never too appear again(even if they Q spot).

The other day I ran this loadout around some TR +48 territory. I was capable of eliminating all TR armor with the exception of 2 TR prowlers. The fight ended when some random lolpod scythe came in, shot at my tank and gave away my position. With no way out and nowhere to run, Lamarr and I, charged into the heart of the TR force and, in a blaze of glory, eliminated their last 2 sunderers. This all occurred while getting hit by a great deal of incredibly surprised infantry and aircraft. It wasn't until after I died did the other 2 prowlers (one stock the other AP) arrive at the scene to eliminate this troublesome vanguard who seemed to phase out of nowhere.
    Had it not been for that one fateful (and rather poorly skilled, seeing as he crashed into a tree immediately after missing my tank), I would have silently eliminated those sundies leaving me free reign over they're remaining armor.

Re: "Vanguard Surprise" Loadout

Sounds promising. Think it could scale up to a small squad, or would trying to keep that many vehicles off the radar be impractical?

Comment

Hmmmm....sounds interesting but I see this only working with the recurring high BRs in closed squads in our outfit as it requires a lot of certs and little room for error for the gunners.

Also, I don't see this stealthiness working with more than 2 (maybe 3) vanguards. So yes, I see large squad usage would be inefficient.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
      ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

sounds like fun, I'll start certing into it =)

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
          Hmmmm....sounds interesting but I see this only working with the recurring high BRs in closed squads in our outfit as it requires a lot of certs and little room for error for the gunners.

Also, I don't see this stealthiness working with more than 2 (maybe 3) vanguards. So yes, I see large squad usage would be inefficient.
          Why homogenize when you can diversify? This would be perfect for any 'flanking' element in a tank squadron. The idea would be that you have the 'main force' running with a more conventional loadout (NA-R/Side/Front) and then a smaller subsection (AP Vanguards/AP Lightnings/AV Harassers?) which runs this specialized stealth loadout.

Comment

Oh, now that's a thought. Work with a fireteam within the squad, distract with the main element, destroy with the stealth element.

Comment

Actually counted up my kill-streak for that run 20 kills from me and 21 for my gunner.

A large squad scale would be impossible(not to mention expensive cert wise)

However a good flanking, stealth element that runs with the main squad is likely the best bet.

I'd also like to know how practical a stealth skyguard with speed chassis would be (would help stop unfortunate random libs and esf's taking out squad stealth guys)
              Last edited by Zepkron; 02-27-2014, 12:39 AM.

Comment

I've always preferred Lightnings or Harassers for this sort of thing, but it's a neat idea.

I like the idea that in a speed-upgraded Lightning or Harasser I can always outrun 90% of the enemy's ground units. Harassers are fairly rare since the big nerf, and Lightnings aren't most people's tools of choice either, it's chiefly racer chassis or magboosting MBTs I find I have to watch out for. The Vanny's not just straight-line slower, it's also got to deal with a long turnaround time (no scrapper chassis) before it can even start to flee.

Not saying it can't be done, it just seems to me like it requires a lot more experience and skill, with much less margin of error to do this with a Vanguard compared to a fast unit.

But then, I've been saying since beta that Vanguards should fix while stealth Lightnings flank. :P
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I did some testing on this in VR and I find the TTK rather disappointing and require even more experience than the vanguard would
                  a magrider vs AP Python
                  6 to the front
                  5 to the side
                  4 to the back

This means, with 2 lightings (probably all your going to get in a stealth mission), you will need
                  2 shots from each for the rear (nobody can miss)
                  3 shots from each to the side (1 miss is allowed)
                  3 shots 2 to the front (nobody can miss)
                  with three AP lightnings (a team difficult to form and a net resource cost of 900 vehicle resources)
                  2 shots from each for the rear (1 miss allowed)
                  2 shots from each to the side (1 miss allowed)
                  2 shots from each to the front (nobody can miss)

With the recoil on the AP lightning, the squishyness of the vehicle and a lack of a gyroscopic turret.... I find it rather impractical with out serious training and fire discipline.

Comment

The advantages the Stealth Lightnings and Harassers have over the Vanguards is that they can function in a RECCE role too, their low damage output isn't a concern in an ideal situation where a main group is already firing on the unit that the Stealth vehicles are flanking. Theoretically the Stealth Vanguards shine in the Alpha Strike potential, especially with the Halberd equipped. Zep brings a very important point up about the gyroscopic secondary turret on the Vanguard providing a significant damage boost.

Now the value of Stealth Skyguards is questionable. Firing breaks the stealth and they have low Alpha potential so they need to use continuous fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                      Now the value of Stealth Skyguards is questionable. Firing breaks the stealth and they have low Alpha potential so they need to use continuous fire.
                      I only intend to use the skygaurd as defense from air that has already compromised the squad so they can escape.

Comment

Originally posted by Zepkron View Post
                        I only intend to use the skygaurd as defense from air that has already compromised the squad so they can escape.
                        Ah. So if I understand correctly the theory is that in an integrated armored squad with little attached AA you want the few AA units you've got to stay hidden until firing? I think it's a solid theory but would hazard that the 'full view' of the battlefield an air asset has can negate map stealth. To be honest though, I doubt there is much a Skyguard really wants in that Armor slot and that if the Skyguard gains some stealth versus enemy ground units it can keep it alive for when its AA is needed.

Comment

I dunno, auto-repair on a skyguard is pretty handy. They tend to take sporadic fire and really benefit from recovering on the move.

Comment

A logical choice and one that I have a bias towards myself. In my head it seems as if a Stealth Skyguard is counter intuitive due its prior mentioned low alpha, the fact that its map signature is identical to any other LBT, and that the prey it seeks will most likely have visual confirmation prior to showing up on the heat map.

Stealth is a very niche upgrade cert path designed for really specific situations and play styles.

Comment

I believe we aren't quite on the same page here.
                              The biggest problem for a stealth vanguard is the same as any lone tank.... aircraft will just destroy it without any sort of retaliation from the vanguard.
                              If I were to tag a skyguard with the Stealth squad to prevent any aircraft from completely wiping the squad, that skyguard could potentially give away the position of the enemy tanks (within 100m of the enemy). With stealth it would still compromise the position of the MBT's once it began to fire but hey! at least they can run and live to see another day.

But I've just kind of thought that this may end up being more of a hassle than necessary. Why not throw some bursters in the back of some stealth harassers.
                              I know from personal experience that the added DPS of a harasser can really help an MBT in a fight/flight scenario, plus the harasser can benefit a great deal from stealth frame already.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X