The Stealth Patrol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stealth Patrol

This is a new take on the Harasser Wolf Pack patrols we used to run without the Harasser being involved. As everybody is aware, the Harasser isn't what it used to be after the nerf patch and is no longer a reliable platform for working behind enemy lines to attack Sunderers or single pieces of enemy armor, at least without MAX support. As a resource friendly alternative I'd like to propose the idea of a stealth unit that works in friendly/enemy territory to engage parked Sunderers that are supporting an attack on a friendly base or any other enemy assets that can be tackled easily. The basic lineup would include three Infiltraitors, three Light Assaults and three Flashes. These numbers can be expanded if we have more people with the requisite equipment.

In order to avoid detection and elude pursuit, each Flash should have the following loadout:

Wraith Cloak - most of our travel time will be spent cloaked so be sure and cert this out to the maximum of 40 seconds. When not cloaked we'll be under cover waiting for it to recharge.
    Vehicle Stealth - this will help the patrol avoid being spotted longer and cut down on lock on times to boot
    Scrapper/Racer/Rival - the chasis selection is up to the user but I'd prefer Scrapper for maneuverability over rough terrain and Racer is beneficial for shorter travel time and a quick escape
    Basilisk - maximize the zoom and magazine size as this weapon will serve as a secondary source of firepower for the patrol to engage light armor from a distance

Infiltraitors

Infil loadouts can be varied. For the most part the Infils will be staying with the Flashes while the Light Assaults do their dirty work with C4. If we bring a fourth Infil on the back of a Flash, he or she can be equipped with Hunter or Nano Armor to help assist the LA's up close with the Sunderer if they run into trouble. EMP grenades and Restoration Kits are also helpful as the patrol may not travel with a Medic, although we can always add one to the lineup if necessary. For weapons the Infils should take either a silenced SMG or silenced sniper rifle.

Light Assaults

LA loadouts can also be varied but they should have a grenade bandolier with three Flash bangs apiece and a carbine or SMG that is silenced. All LAs need both sticks of C4 and be skilled in using it quickly. This excludes me as I'm a butterfingers with C4 :D

How the patrol works is pretty simple. We can start by operating in friendly territory and look for large bases that are under attack. They'll undoubtedly be Sunderers in the area which usually aren't well guarded. Depending on the number of infantry and vehicles, the Flashes will move as close as they can to the target and park in an area where they are covered by terrain but still have a line of fire on the Sunderer. The Light Assaults will deploy and head towards the Sunderer. One LA will use a Flash bang to blind any infantry around the Sundy while the other two set their C4. A second flash bang will be used as soon as the C4 is set to cover their escape and all LA's will move back to the Flashes where they'll detonate the C4.

Once the Sunderer is down the patrol will cloak and get the hell out of there before the enemy can react. It's important to leave the area immediately and head somewhere else as small units are usually targeted quickly by nearby airpower or armor. We want to avoid a prolonged firefight at all costs. In the event of the Sunderer is not destroyed or an LA is killed in the attempt to plant C4, the Basilisks can be used to finish the job. Three fully certed Basilisks can take down a stock Sunderer at full health in roughly twelve seconds.

If we want to be more daring the patrol can head deep into enemy territory and engage lone armor targets as they make their way to the front lines. Resupply of C4 and grenades can be done by hacking terminals at vacant enemy facilities.

Another alternative is to eliminate the LAs from the equation and use Heavies with Phoenixes and Decimators provided they have a clear shot and if the target can be destroyed in a single volley of rockets.

Thoughts, flames, ideas on how to improve the concept? Fire away! :D

Re: The Stealth Patrol

There's some promise here, I think!

The light assaults add the flashbangs into the equation, which is an interesting addition. Heavies have the advantage of flexibility, though, and concussion grenades would have the same effect. Additionally, Pheonixes could be fired on the move, and the flash could re-cloak between shots for a very flexible and difficult to track firing platform.

Another option would be to bring engineers along for the ride, and get payload flexibility in exchange for the ability to disorient the enemy or hit them on the move. An engineer (with sufficient certifications) can carry more C4, can carry 4-5 mines, and can put down turrets in positions that could wreck enemy armour from a distance (and you could get them to the best possible spot with those cloaks). I'd recommend mines for the job... you can take out Sunderers with them, but also create minefields behind enemy lines (without even dismounting from the vehicle) which could be a fun variation.

I think ALL options there are worth considering, and maybe even mixing together to some extent. Light assaults and engineers could combine the disruption from the flashbangs with the engineer's demolitions and still be able to do some of the engineer-based tasks, and an engineer/heavy assault combo can make for a pretty brutal weapons nest.

Before running an op like this, some practise in VR would probably be worth it, especially for the funkier stuff like flickering the cloak to allow a missile off.

Comment

Very nice.

Although I would note that flash-bangs only work if enemies are looking in their direction; unfortunately at a crowded Sunderer people are generally looking everywhere, though not necessarily paying attention. IMO, C4ing a Sundy is all about surprise, speed and approach - using cover and the enemy Sunderer itself to break line-of-sight, as well as possibly attacking from above if LA. Since you don't fire unless you need to a lot of enemies don't see you, or simply walk right past you. Whereas using a flash-bang will announce your presence and could be counter-productive.

I agree that engineers would be a good option for the reasons Star gave, plus let's not forget about repairing damaged Flashes since cloak won't cover up smoke or fire.

Heavies would be interesting, perhaps we don't need to use up the resources? Also, could be a fallback if the enemy are paying a bit more attention to immediate surroundings and stopping C4 / mine rushes.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Thanks to everybody who helped test the concept out tonight. We scored a number of good armor kills with concentrated Phoenix fire from the back of the Flash. Hopefully as more people cert into this we can start expanding the number of Wraiths and our firepower as well. For the next test we'll be working with drive by placement of C4 on lone Sunderers and maybe the LA attack group with Flashbangs.

EDIT - Also, we'll need to bring along an engineer for ammo resupply and we can add the additional rockets and C4 loadout options for the Heavies.

Comment

Nice! Already doing trial runs, then?

Comment

Yes, it all started with a simple question: can we fire the Phoenix from the back of a Flash that uncloaks, then cloaks again after the launch and still have the Heavy retain control of the rocket. The answer is a resounding yes. The range is determined from where the rocket was fired so you can quickly move the Flash out of the area while the Heavy continues to guide the rocket towards the target.

Comment

I've tested it out before (without the cloaking aspect) and gotten interesting results. The biggest issue is the limited firing angle from the back seat, which requires enough coordination from the driver and rocketeer to ensure that the Flash is turned the right way during the firing window, but that's something that practise can make perfect.

Comment

I'm happy to engineer for more stuff like this in the future, but you'll definitely need a cloaker driving the engineer around so that we don't blow your cover.

Not only is there the tank mines or c4, but it only takes a couple seconds to set down a AV turret for an extra rocket or two on unsuspecting armor.
                87% Combat Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                  I've tested it out before (without the cloaking aspect) and gotten interesting results. The biggest issue is the limited firing angle from the back seat, which requires enough coordination from the driver and rocketeer to ensure that the Flash is turned the right way during the firing window, but that's something that practise can make perfect.
                  What we tried doing last night was to spot a target through voip, move the Flashes close enough to be in Phoenix range, and then turn the Flash so that the Heavy in the back was facing the target and had a clear line of sight to fire which worked out quite well. Another thing we noticed was that Flash drivers need to keep an eye on their Heavy's reload animations so that as soon as the Phoenix is ready to fire they can uncloak again and then re-cloak.

Originally posted by norelco View Post
                  I'm happy to engineer for more stuff like this in the future, but you'll definitely need a cloaker driving the engineer around so that we don't blow your cover.

Not only is there the tank mines or c4, but it only takes a couple seconds to set down a AV turret for an extra rocket or two on unsuspecting armor.
                  Thanks for all your help again last night Norelco. We'll definitely have to test out setting up a quick minefield from the Flashes as well.

Comment

Yeah, you can see them reload in third person.

I think finding targets at a reasonable pace while getting around unseen is the trickiest bit, much like spotter squads, and it'll take practice. Indeed, working with a spotter squad, switching to this type of squad to help our platoon or asking on command VOIP if anyone needs enemy Sunderers destroyed are all good options.

Beyond that it just requires some good communication on where the targets are, which one to hit, and coordinating the shots. The SL might want to consider placing the WP on targets for this purpose.

Also, targets that are in hard to reach locations can be difficult to find with a phoenix missile, even if the target is q-spotted on the mini-map, because the map stays centered on the player, not the missile. So a good tip is to place your personal waypoints on targets or, if firing at an odd angle and they're off your screen, use it as a landmark - I.E. turn left at the WP and he's behind the first hill.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Perhaps one of the advantages of this setup is that, while it's brittle to losses of people and materiel, it's flexible due to the way it can easily operate behind enemy lines. No shortage of infiltrators, and you can pull fresh flashes and swap out the rider's kit on the fly at any enemy base.

Comment

Originally posted by Assault9 View Post
                        We'll definitely have to test out setting up a quick minefield from the Flashes as well.
                        Gave that a try last night but I think you have to dismount to lay deployables, which is sad because it'd be so much fun to turbo in front of a tank and drop breadcrumbs...
                        87% Combat Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by norelco View Post
                          Gave that a try last night but I think you have to dismount to lay deployables, which is sad because it'd be so much fun to turbo in front of a tank and drop breadcrumbs...
                          I'm pretty sure you can drop mines at least from the harasser rumble seat. Mines don't function like regular deployables, you can just throw them and the physics will control where they rest.

I wish they'd do that for ammo packs and turrets too.
                          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

For a fact in older versions of the game you could lay minefields with the ATV. I had some small experimentation with it before which on one hand is a nice and easy to do, but on the other hand requires patience or really good prediction.

Comment

I don't think placing mines from the back seat has ever been disabled or removed in any way...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X