X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Element to Armor Squad: Battle Banana

Sunderer for the offensive? Pen, you cray cray

Am I?

From what I've seen, the Sunderer in TG squads has two roles, ammo and repair usually equipped with walkers and or rangers Anti-Air guns. Immensely helpful for sure, but what about a Sunderer alongside the Vanguards? A Sunderer with max blockade can take an immense amount of firepower while having the ability to deal a good deal of suppressive fire with dual basilisks.

This is the loadout I propose and have certed largely into:

Guns are straight forward; dual basilisks with (preferably) max ammo capacity and max clip size (a hefty cert cost here) with 1.5x zoom. Basilisks are the most versatile weapon available for the sundy, they can effectively deal with armor, infantry, and air at both close range and long range. While you sacrifice some DPS (Damage per second), the range makes it much more valuable than the bulldog/fury.

Utility: Fire Suppression
    Survivabilty is key here and with up to 12% health regeneration this is a no brainer.

Suit slot: Blockade
    Again, you want to draw as many hits as possible so this is definitely a must for offensive maneuvers.

Chassis: Racer
    Vroom, vroom, zoom, zoom, a sunderer with max racer keeps up with vanguards and the sight of a yellow bus charged at insane KPH is indeed intimidating. The added ability to ram harassers to an almost certain death is also a helpful plus.

So far, in my experimentations, this loadout has been very successful. I ran with it earlier today on Indar and my gunners were able to effectively deal with MBTs and Air as well as infantry getting too close.

This tactic will probably be shot down by numbers, but I really hope you consider it when organizing armor. Successfully outfits such as TENC and TAS use this, and having played with them extensively I really like this method.

Side note: Apologies for hot miking earlier as I screamed at my tank mines next to an MBT ("BLOW UP BLOW UP!"); sadly, my words did nothing.
    Last edited by penandpencilman; 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM. Reason: grammer errors :P

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Re: A New Element to Armor Squad: Battle Banana

I'm all for it in my armor squads!

mostly because I've seen you run with this loadout and withness how effective it is. I usually gave you free range to do what you want even though i thought it was crazy seeing you charge a MBT! I thought to myself lets see how long he last but somehow you would survive lol

I've encounter enemy sundies with full blockade and its a real pain! when I see two of them I run away in fear even if I have a gunner!

I can see myself using this loadout in my armor squads. Have it draw the fire since sundies are greater threats then MBT's. This gives the rest of the squad time to take out the enemy armor who has started concentrating fire on the sundie. I think i've done this before...

Comment

I was In the Battle banana and it was extremely impressive, next time were down to 3-4 guys in our squad we should do that again! i was fairly skeptical at first, ill gun for you anytime you need a gunner man.
      KILL IT!

Comment

Just like an MBT without a secondary gunner is sorely lacking in terms of firepower, a Sunderer with two manned turrets weapons is a formidable weapon. You're also higher up, which can sometimes make it easier to hull down behind a hill and put down fire from relative safety.

There are a few downsides, though: you're a bigger, more expensive target, and likely to be targeted first because your Sunderer will be mis-identified as an AMS. You're also getting two secondary guns for three people (if you want to fire on the move) instead of an MBT which gives you one secondary and one primary for two.

That doesn't mean that a battle bus isn't a formidable opponent, far from it, but I'd be hesitant to make it the primary element. Sure, a four Sunderer brigade would be an intimidating sight, but two fully manned Sunderers and three fully manned MBTs would be substantially more dangerous.

What I'd say is that, since an armour column is rolling Sunderers anyways for repair and ammo, they should have at least one gunner in each Sunderer. This allows one gun to fire on the move (and switch between them if they're specialized) and two to fire when stationary. That's a pretty substantial firepower bonus.

Comment

Battle Buses were used quite often during Beta and for a while past release until they nerfed the M20 into the ground. Its good to see that they've brought the M20 back to form and given the Sunderer some serious and viable jack of all trades weaponry again.

I remember back at release charging solo magriders with the Sunderer and winning because I had two gunners.

Personally, I'd utilize this feature less in an Armor Squad and more in a Mechanized Infantry Squad. You've got a battle bus that can constantly be on the move, can dish out some serious damage to all targets, and can keep reinforcing the attached Infantry without stopping through the new spawn mechanics.

IMO you shouldn't change a Repair/Ammo Sunderer to also be a dedicated attack platform while still maintaining its support role.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
            There are a few downsides, though: you're a bigger, more expensive target, and likely to be targeted first because your Sunderer will be mis-identified as an AMS.
            This is exactly what I want. Every shot taken at me is one less shot at the friendly vanguards. Drawing fire is an essential part of operating the battle banana effectively as it distracts the enemy and allows the friendly vanguards to retaliate with relative ease.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
            ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
              ...and can keep reinforcing the attached Infantry without stopping through the new spawn mechanics.
              Ewwwwwwww.

Comment

So it's basically Operation Human Shield from South Park? :D I like your style. Maybe when I get back in the swing of things I can actually tank a little bit and other people can do the support roles.

Could anyone get data on TTK for the Basalisks?

What is wrong with spawning inside the Sunderer due to Squad Spawning Ability? BF2 had it :/

Comment

I think it was a dubious change that gutted logistical gameplay and adds a lot of weird edge cases, especially with Galaxies. BF2 had it, but BF2 is decidely more of an "arcade" game than I'd prefer Planetside to be. When I played BF2 I mostly played the Project Reality mod which eschewed overtly gamey elements like that.

As a result I'm uncomfortable making the new mechanic a central element of our strategy beyond the "regroup with the squad" function. Mostly just personal preference.

Sorry for dragging the topic off track!

Comment

I use this tactic quite often but the biggest problems are enemy Mbt's and the numbers in your squads.
                    As Ytman said, It works better with mechanized infantry than an armor squad. Those twin basilisk are better off providing some improved DPS on one of the repair/ammo sunderers behind all the tanks

My favorite way to use this is to drive backwards for a 25% damage reduction and a sundy filled with engineers and medics. The amount of coordinate fire required to kill the sundy is so ridiculous that you would essentially need an instant kill 7 AP MBT's hitting the sundy at the same time.

Comment

Battle sundys are probably the most fearsome opponents you can encounter on the field, especially in numbers...

1. entranched position
                      2. moving/battle sundy

1. entranched position

To add some feedback, I led few days ago a test "sundy fortress", set to strategic positions as support for our infantry and armor, in the heights south of Tawrich, and south of Zurvan. The specific composition was 2 blockades, 2 ammo, and 1 repair, all with walkers or basilisks.

At Tawrich, blockades were set nose to nose in front of the repair sundy, blocking incoming fire from the Tech, and ammo were set on its sides.

We easily tanked tech's phalanxes and engi turrets, while being able to sustain and decimate enemy air squads (and I mean, the amount of incoming scythes/libs/gals was insane, non stop stream during 20 minutes at least. But yeah, that was 10 turrets shredding ennemy air).

Same at Zurvan, south west cliffs; enemy forces finally understood the key was to focus the blockade. I'm telling you, you need to nigh-alpha strike a blockade to bring it down when there is a maxed out repair sundy and several engis behind.

We also had Vanguards standing in the repair radius wrecking havok just because they were litterally immune to AV Mana turrets.

From this experiment, I think that any column armor should include at least one blockade with dual M20, which main purpose is to act as a cover for a repair sundy behind, and to cover the "tactical relocation" (retreat), being at the end of the column. Maybe a dedicated "support squad" should be formed, including ammo/repair/blockade sundies and air assets when no air squad is up.

2. moving sundy

After several tests in my (other) outfit, we came out with a few rules to be applied when you battle bus:

- unlock the sundy so anyone in the squad can drive/deploy it (unless you use pickups to man your turrets)
                      - pilot must be an engi (with tank mines)
                      - turrets must be manned by any non engi/medic/HA/AA or AV MAX (said: LAs, infils, or second medic / third engi), so whatever happens, both will fire
                      - never let an AFK or a SL/PL stay in a turret (if needed, drop your SL/PL off a cliff)
                      - at least one medic with Triage, hanging in the bus (since Triage also heals MAX suits...)
                      - at least one spare engi: he bails out and repairs the sunderer, if wounded, he gets back in (and is safely healed thanks to Triage), the other engi bails out and repairs.
                      - if you really want to burn everything around, load half a squad of HAs with dumbfire launchers and drop 'em behind enemy MBTs :D

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                      Guns are straight forward; dual basilisks with (preferably) max ammo capacity and max clip size (a hefty cert cost here) with 1.5x zoom.
                      So worth the cost... !

Ba-dum-tss
                      My life before TG http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbre
                      Who cares about stats ? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbr

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X