Hit-and-Run Liberator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit-and-Run Liberator

Had a idea in VR training that I think might bear some fruit. Now that the Lib's Racer airframe has been buffed to make it a competitive option, and that composite armor has been (over-)buffed to make IT a competitive option, this thought occurred to me:

Racer Airframe
    Afterburner
    Composite Armor

Tankbuster
    Dalton(maybe the new Duster could find it's niche in something like this... I'll have to see)
    Bulldog

I think that something like this could get in, hit a priority target, and then get back out before being swatted out of the sky. Perhaps this could be supplemental to one of our ground attack Reaver squads, especially because a Racer Lib can now keep up with non-Racer Reavers.

Totally informal numbers I grabbed out of VR training just now:

Racer 3 Lib holding space: 240~ kph
    Racer 3 Lib holding space + afterburner: 270~ kph for ~3 seconds

Hover 3 Reaver holding space: 220~ kph
    Hover 3 Reaver holding space + afterburner(no fuel tanks, aka rocket pods): 350~ kph for ~4 seconds

I'm gonna try this out next time I'm online when there's an air squad, I hope it's useful(or at least fun). Any thoughts?

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Re: Hit-and-Run Liberator

I think the Liberator has always been able to pretty much keep pace with Reavers, and now with the racer buff I think they match Racer frame Reavers too. The issue has always been acceleration and agility... fortunately, with the afterburner buff, at least one of those is better now!

This really does seem like the kind of setup where the new duster would excel. Come in low and quiet, settle in low over the target, have the gunner and tailgunner unload, then get the heck out of dodge. I expect if you're coming in low like that, you'd also be able to add a tankbuster barrage to that combo.

Comment

It depends on your definition of 'keep pace', I suppose. Keeping up on paper is a heckuva lot different that keeping up in practice. I love running an AA Lib with an air squad, and that small speed difference has always been a major hindrance for me. Being even a couple seconds later than my fighters in reaching my engagement envelope means that everybody else is already engaged and I'm flying reactively from the very beginning. That severely limits my ability to effect the outcome of the fight, especially since dogfights can quickly drift hundreds of meters from the first contact. A couple months ago I played with a Racer+Afterburner/Shredder lib as a supporting element in a nomadic/roaming style air squad, but back then it just wasn't worth it to give up the maneuverability of High-G or the versatility of Fire Suppression. The lib update made me revisit that thought, but now I think it could be viable even beyond that kind of supporting role.

Come to think of it, a suitably reckle-I mean skilled pilot might be able to take a fast lib and use it like a heavy fighter to just tankbuster things and leave. I'll have to try it now...

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

I heard someone was looking for a suitably reckless pilot to fly a fat Reaver? :P

Comment

Have you thought about those new hyena's for the back? At least for infantry they do more work then the bulldog.
          SPEAK UP! and lets combat the fog of war together.

Comment

Why?

Things Bulldog Has An Advantage In:

Direct Damage: 1000 vs 150
            Splash Damage: 6m vs 3m
            Muzzle Velocitry: 250m/s vs 150m/s
            Magazine Size: 10 vs 8*
            Default Ammo Capacity: 120 vs 96

Things Hyenas Have An Advantage In:

Fire Rate: 174 RPM vs 48 RPM
            Reload Speed: 3sec vs 4sec

And that's just from looking at the info cards.

*Yes, I know that's with max mag size upgrade. The hyena doesn't even get mag size upgrades, and the first two levels for the bulldog only cost 300 certs anyways.
            Last edited by Daelon Suzuka; 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Two small things to note:

Overall, Operation: Fat Reaver is a resounding success. I managed to strike deep into enemy territory, take out a hovering TR liberator, and then use my speed, afterburner, and reckle-I mean superior piloting skill to outrun/evade my Mosquito pursuer in the canyons of south-eastern Indar.

Fat Reavers, unlike their closely related cousin the Liberator, are not hover-stable. A Fat Reaver's Dalton should be considered a vestigal weapon, and under no circumstances should its employment be attempted without dedicated personnel. No, not even "if that idiot is just standing there, out in the open."

Comment

-Seems as though once I have the spare certs to sink into my liberator I might try this "Fat Reaver" loadout

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X