Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification on suicide tactics

Hi all,

I think I need clarification on the suicide tactics section of the general SOP. It stated that one must not engage in activities that will certainly or likely result in death.

Take this scenario. There is a well fortified enemy sunderer in enemy territory, making your acquisition of a base difficult. One could equip a galaxy with heavies and drop on the sunderer, probably destroying it, but also likely leading to the squad being wiped.

I am thinking of other scenarios in which unexpected delivery of a bunch of people would keep the enemy unbalanced, possibly allowing other squads to advance further, but would also maybe not be survivable.

What is the official call for these scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

Z
    Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Re: Clarification on suicide tactics

TG is about using real world tactics in video games. yes I know there are not any GALS in real life (yet) but dropping a squad on top of a sunderer is a suicidle tactic that I personally frown upon. An option that is acceptable would be to drop the squad on a hill or a nearby landmark and fire on the sunderer. Not only will this ensure the destruction of the sundie but all the enemy's around it. This keeps the squad alive and together.

other things that I know we have discussed are:

C4 flashes
    running into a crowd throwing C4 and killing yourself in the process.

hope this answers the question =)

Comment

Thanks Ghost! I have seen this tactic from opfor, and was not sure it was "legit".

Comment

Hmm.... What about dropping as an LA onto a sunderer and/or armor? The c4 can be dropped 100 meters in the air and if 3 c4 is dropped the sunderer is destroyed which allows the LAs to fall and clear out remaining infantry.

Edit: Also, note that I commonly do this when running a 3 man lib squad. As either tail gunner or dalton, I will drop from large heights with c4 usually on anti-air turrets or stationary skyguards to allow the liberator to operate conveniently. It is not suicidal if you know what you are doing; it is simply a higher risk with the possibility of a higher reward. With drifter yets, you have the option to travel within a wide radius of your initial drop point and can remain in the air for around 30 seconds; you have complete control over your movement.

This is rarely done if the Tank buster and/or dalton can deal with the problem.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
        ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Any "tactic" that presumes you are going to die whilst using C4, is a suicide tactic. If a squad drops on a sunderer with the clear intention of killing themselves while deploying C4, this would be a suicide tactic. It is not a suicide tactic to drop a squad on or near a sunderer. With this tactic you are simply dropping a squad on a strategic asset that you want to remove. i.e. squad drops on sunderer, clears area of enemy and/or supresses them, squad member plants C4 on sunderer, squad members move from immediate area, destroy sunderer, continue to next objective.

Comment

Quantum,

The intention is not to die while dropping c4, its just a situation with higher risk of death. For example when we are running in and capturing then holding a point at a base the objective is not for us to die there, however the risk of dying is far greater then if we were out side the base shooting from a distance. This does not make holding a point a suicide tactic. This being said penny, as i know many people are not as skilled as you may be, I personally rarely if ever c4 drop because i know it will result in certain death for a large number of my squad. So even though I do not consider it a suicide tactic as our intention is not to die, the risk of harm is too great and thus is in conflict with the line in the SOP that states "must not engage in activities that ensure certainly or likely result in death". So unless there is nobody around the sunday you are dropping on, its probably too risky.
            SPEAK UP! and lets combat the fog of war together.

Comment

On the topic of c4 flashes i dont see how this is a suicide tactic either, me and penny have had a great couple runs with such things.

What we did was put 4 bricks on the front of the flash and and he drives it up to an enemy vehicle as i wait in a spawn room for the signal. Once the wraith flash is near the target he jumps off and recloaks then runs away while telling me when the rolling flash bumps into the target. I hit the trigger and the c4 flash blows up along with the target, we are both unharmed and the opfor is down a vehicle.
              SPEAK UP! and lets combat the fog of war together.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryker View Post
                Quantum,

The intention is not to die while dropping c4, its just a situation with higher risk of death. For example when we are running in and capturing then holding a point at a base the objective is not for us to die there, however the risk of dying is far greater then if we were out side the base shooting from a distance. This does not make holding a point a suicide tactic. This being said penny, as i know many people are not as skilled as you may be, I personally rarely if ever c4 drop because i know it will result in certain death for a large number of my squad. So even though I do not consider it a suicide tactic as our intention is not to die, the risk of harm is too great and thus is in conflict with the line in the SOP that states "must not engage in activities that ensure certainly or likely result in death". So unless there is nobody around the sunday you are dropping on, its probably too risky.
                Hrmm, not really sure you grok what I am saying.

Many non TG outfits use suicide tactics. All sorts of people are perfectly fine with blowing themselves up along with you. (especially if you are in a MAX).

"This does not make holding a point a suicide tactic". Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Why would somebody think holding a point is a suicide tactic?

This is what you need to take away from my post: Tactical Gamer members do not use suicide tactics, which is explained in my above post.

(My post was sort of in response to ghostshooter101's post and also a bit of a clarification on what suicide tactics are. I wasn't referring to Pen's post. Sorry if you misunderstood)

Comment

I'm not sure where the higher ups rest on this, and I'm not trying to speak for them, but I feel that there is a meaningful point of distinction between Suicide Tactics when in a TG group/squad/etc. and suicide tactics that are done on your own time.

Overall the ethical issue against Suicide Tactics is one of competitiveness and an overall healthy gaming environment. I try not to look too much into the 'real world' implications.

For me Flash ATVs with C4 can both be pragmatic and uncompetitive (especially with cloak). Frankly, a gaming environment that revolves around war is a give and take of contradictions. A game and a war are two wholly opposite things. A game is supposed to be competitive while a war is supposed to be least competitive. By shying away from uncompetitive actions we promote a healthier game environment but potentially lose certain advantages.

Indeed many nations give up their nuclear advantage due to ethical and geopolitical repercussions.

The reason why TG shouldn't condone uncompetitive actions is that it can always be done to us as well. Something that is uncompetitive is anti-fun and anti-sportsman. You loading up a flash with c4 and killing a tank is your own business, the TG outfit doing this openly and constantly hinders what we could be accomplishing through other means.

What I mean is that TG is about bringing a larger group of people and accomplishing much more with them than they could accomplish by themselves. This ultimately means focusing on keeping the elements of the group alive as long as possible, this means using people more efficiently and effectively (Flash/C4 costs a fair share of resources for minimal gain over some time), and while certain things may appear easy and effective nothing can replace the reward from learning something that is hard but more effective.

Comment

Ok , this makes sense. I have an idea of dropping a squad that should have a much higher probability of survival, and I think I can justify it as non-suicidal.

Comment

Originally posted by ryker View Post
                      on the topic of c4 flashes i dont see how this is a suicide tactic either, me and penny have had a great couple runs with such things.

What we did was put 4 bricks on the front of the flash and and he drives it up to an enemy vehicle as i wait in a spawn room for the signal. Once the wraith flash is near the target he jumps off and recloaks then runs away while telling me when the rolling flash bumps into the target. I hit the trigger and the c4 flash blows up along with the target, we are both unharmed and the opfor is down a vehicle.
                      but the cheese!

Comment

Yeah I think zombie was refering to a squad not solo play.

The whole flash thing can be interpreted in different ways. TG is about using mililtary style tactics. That being said some may call the flash with C4 a cruise missile, others a car bomb.

I guess we have to wait for the higher ups to make that call.

Comment

I am going to let an Admin of more experience make the decision on the C4 flashes. I am leaning towards this not being a realistic use of a vehicle though.

You loading up a flash with c4 and killing a tank is your own business,
                          This quote from YTman is a concern though. Let me be very clear on this point. Anything you do in Planetside while wearing a TG tag is to be done in a TG manner. If you want to jihad flashes and it is deemed unTG you need to make an alt not in our Outfit or don't do it. There is no time while wearing TG tags that you are off our clock so to speak :-)
                          sigpic

Comment

The jihad jeep, or in this case C4 flash is a no no. Combining the C4 and the flash is a violation of section 3 of the primer. It's an inappropriate use of what is essentially a lightly armed transport vehicle. If the flash had a built in self destruct sequence the driver could initiate and escape safely prior to detonation it would be a different story. So, long story short, it's not meant to be a car bomb or cruise missile.

And Ytman, whatever you do when you wear our tags is our business. We're all ambassadors and our actions in game and on the forums need to reflect that.

Comment

So is dropping with c4 on a sundy against the rules? c4 flashes seemed to have taken over this thread.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X