Stealthy Squad Beacon Placement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealthy Squad Beacon Placement

Whenever possible, I try to make aggressive use of the Squad Beacon - placing it so we can get on top of buildings, placing it at the front lines and dropping slightly behind the enemy, or placing it way behind the enemy location and approaching from a new direction entirely. It's the last of these I wish to focus on here.

Your average enemy will face the largest mass of NC and will not expect you to approach from what appears to be ground they've already secured (this can equally be done when they make a push, or are defending). Ending up behind enemy infantry or armor means you can cause significant damage before they react. Bring silencers and most players won't even turn around when their buddy dies. Bring C4 and you can destroy armor as it sits still trying to shell your team.

Steps:

1) Grab Infiltrator with cloak, Infiltrator + Flash with cloak, or get someone else to drive the Flash and jump in the rumble seat as LA (to get to tricky areas).
    2) Pick a direction the enemy aren't looking and, if possible, decide on a good hiding spot for a beacon - like up a tree.
    3) Run/drive in a wide arc around the enemy, using cover and doing your best to go unnoticed.
    4) Place beacon and order the squad to spawn in.
    5a) Hold advantageous ground, although the enemy will soon shift their focus and eventually take your position. If your beacon is in the same place as your squad, they'll destroy it. For repeated use, hide the beacon even further behind the enemy, wait until they leave, then spawn in and head back to your position.
    5b) Immediately move in to CQC with the enemy and attempt guerrilla tactics, or overrun a position. As long as the enemy don't see the drop pods they won't have a clue where your beacon is. Silencers and LAs are perfect for this.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Re: Stealthy Squad Beacon Placement

I like this and think if this is not already taught in our new SL training program it should be.

I believe that the LA option, with Infiltrator/Flash, as the most fruitful. It allows for rapid deployment, a mobile recce element, and the ability to place the Beacon in more locations.

I vote to classify this broadly as a 'technique' much like Rage's 'Fast Break', call it 'Beacon Pulling' in honor of the real life Recon Pulling operation.

Comment

I do this most often when I'm in a very large fight but only have a handful of TG or up to 1 squad. This sort of guerrilla tactic is very rewarding, although I would say the biggest limitation is the fact resources and bodies aren't limited, so any dent you make doesn't last long at all.

The resource revamp can't come soon enough...

This could be extended to larger operations if the main force coordinate a push with the flanking force. For that to ever happen, everyone has to know the tactic.

Comment

Jengles,

interesting idea.
        Please clarify it.
        If the general rule to be drawn is simply Place squad beacon in location not expected, that is good policy.
        As I understand it, the more complicated strategy, sneak around the enemies as an SL, place beacon, get squad to spawn in unexpected, move stealthily to high ground, engage from good ground. When wiped out, use hidden beacon again, and continue to harass enemy.
        If you think this is worth putting in my SL training course, lets talk Jengles. Meet me on TS some time and lets run it through. At present, this is not in my SL lesson draft, but if you want to make your case Jengles, I am all ears.
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I think TG's current use of beacons is basic, usually just as an additional spawn.

The 3 tactics I brought up were to turn the beacon from a means to continue with your current tactics if you get wiped, to tactics in and of themselves.

This one, the Stealthy Beacon Placement, is about attacking the enemy from a direction they are not watching / ground they have already advanced over with as minimum noise as possible. This means you can capitalize on repeated guerrilla and attrition tactics, showing up in places the enemy think they are safely behind cover, or behind the front line.

Sneaking a Sunderer past the enemy is extremely difficult, blueberries will spawn on it and make all kinds of noise, and keeping it hidden when the enemy go hunting is nearly impossible. A Sunderer flank is a more forceful and committed tactic, requiring more man power.

If beacon tactics were to be included in training I'd start with the other 2, but yeah, all 3 could be taught. I'll chat next time we're both in TS.

Comment

As a blueburry I use hidden sunnys all the time either hacking an enermy base to get one or driving as far from any enermy to be noticed, past the front lines.

I park well out of range of a base and deploy, when I do this, infills normaly spawn and head off to the hills / bushes and set up sniping positions.

If someone does try to engage near the sunny, Ill ask them to stop shooting and move away from the sunny

If the sunny does get seen, Ill pack up and move to another location away from the unit that noticed me and hold for a few minutes before redeploying.

Sneaking a Sunderer past the enemy is extremely difficult, blueberries will spawn on it and make all kinds of noise, and keeping it hidden when the enemy go hunting is nearly impossible.
            As a squad Sunny, do not forget, if you only want the squad to spawn on you, do not deply the sunny (squad only can spawn). If you need another squad from the platoon to spawn in, request the sunny be deployed for a few seconds, get them to spawn as a group then undeplay again, also tell any blueburries that spawned to hold fire and follow the pack.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Another thing is you can have your squad redeploy and hold spawn, fly in a Reaver to get to an advance position quickly, paratroop out of Reaver --LA is good for this -- (or sneak in and land stealthily), deploy beacon, and the whole squad spawns in at once.
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There is no supported game here at TG where the idea of using attack aircraft as a disposable transport is encouraged, let alone allowed. This is a classic example of 'Just because you can...'

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post
                  There is no supported game here at TG where the idea of using attack aircraft as a disposable transport is encouraged, let alone allowed. This is a classic example of 'Just because you can...'

Wait what? This ... *cough* I mean ALL DAY BATTLE GAL/ferry every day!!! Wheeewwwww hoooo!! No body can come tell me to ditch my BattleStar Auraxia ever again!

how do I refer this thread to SL as a macro every time they sit in my now non disposible transport?
                  SPEAK UP! and lets combat the fog of war together.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryker View Post
                    Wait what? This ... *cough* I mean ALL DAY BATTLE GAL/ferry every day!!! Wheeewwwww hoooo!! No body can come tell me to ditch my BattleStar Auraxia ever again!

how do I refer this thread to SL as a macro every time they sit in my now non disposible transport?
                    Back in the day, we could deconstruct vehicles that were no longer needed. They took that feature away because folks were deconstructing mid fight to deny the enemy the vehicle kill. In any case, I was referring to ESFs being used as transports and not the broader issue of how other vehicle assets are treated as disposable. That's a discussion for a different thread.

Comment

Ok, so If I play as a blueburry, is it ok to use a reaver( afterburn pods), since I have no gunners, to get me to the base I wish to hack?

I would be hoping to keep it as long as I could to move to the next area to hack, but may find myself in a ground fight which is longer than 4 minutes, or the craft get distroyed

This question also is asked if I am in a squad, with the goal the get to a base, eg tech plant, a to pull a mass of armour inside enermy lines.
                      Last edited by vts; 04-22-2014, 07:27 AM.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post
                        Back in the day, we could deconstruct vehicles that were no longer needed. They took that feature away because folks were deconstructing mid fight to deny the enemy the vehicle kill. In any case, I was referring to ESFs being used as transports and not the broader issue of how other vehicle assets are treated as disposable. That's a discussion for a different thread.
                        Oh.. I guess I fail to see how 15k+ cert 350 resource battle gal is anything less then a close air support attack aircraft. It may not be considered are supiriority but 1v1 it will take out 90% of esf and libs.

Besides esf have ejection seats made for that sort of thing..

Comment

Originally posted by Ryker View Post
                          Oh.. I guess I fail to see how 15k+ cert 350 resource battle gal is anything less then a close air support attack aircraft. It may not be considered are supiriority but 1v1 it will take out 90% of esf and libs.

Besides esf have ejection seats made for that sort of thing..
                          How about we dial the sarcasm back a notch and do our best to keep this discussion civil?

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Originally posted by Daelon Suzuka View Post
                            How about we dial the sarcasm back a notch and do our best to keep this discussion civil?
                            I wasnt being sarcastic.. at all. I apologise if what i said seemed rude, though I dont know how it could be interperted as such, but I really can not see the difference between an esf an a gal regarding cas attack aircraft when the gal can be better at it and their is a certification designed to be able to ditch the reaver like a transport.

regardless this is off topic, the spawn beacon is way more effectivly placed when doing something along the lines of what randy said.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X