Thoughts on Vanguard changes and "quick repair" method

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Vanguard changes and "quick repair" method

For the sake of this thread, lets assume all changes to the Vanguard are 100% legitimate and balanced.
    The objective of this thread is to potentially come up with new strategies and load-outs that benifit armor as a whole.

The changes affecting the Vanguard after the recent update include
    -Nanite auto-repair now takes 12 seconds at all levels before it kicks in (for all vehicles)
    -Enforcer now has a mag size of 8 and a reload speed of 3.25
    -Vanguard shield now only lasts 6 seconds for all ranks and now takes 2000 damage (after resistance)

Pros and Cons:
    -NAR (nanite auto repair change)
    Pros:
    Other defense slots become more practical. NAR isn't the jack of all trades upgrade any more.
    Con:
    NAR is now only good as a ranged defense upgrade. It also is only really good as a means of speeding up the repair process while the crew is repairing. Less Synergistic with Shield

-Enforcer
    Pros:
    Halberd is now a more practical anti tank option for the vanguard
    Cons:
    Enforcer and halberd are so close that it's generally better to use the Halberd if the gunner is experienced

-Shield
    Pros:
    Vanguard won't be able to "win button" engagements anymore. or 3v1 enemy tanks at close range
    Cons:
    Shield becomes even less synergistic with NAR (total 6 second gap as opposed the the former 0 second gap).
    This ability is still vastly worthless for experience players who tend to make smart engagements and would prefer something a bit more engaging and useful. (resist shield please?!)

I find that this NAR change has forced me to almost require experienced gunners that I can communicate with. The art of the "quick repair" has become even more crucial to me.
    For those of you who don't know a "quick repair", as i like to call it, is a fast way of increasing the vanguard's survivability by disengaging and rapidly regaining as much health as possible before engaging again.

It works a bit like this:
    Driver takes significant damage and disengages
    once just out of battle driver shouts "repair" or some other indicator for gunner
    both driver and gunner jump out and start repairing Vangaurd
    When either, health is at max or the team is about to be re-engaged the driver shouts "get in" and everyone climbs in (it is crucial to be inside BEFORE getting engaged)
    Re-engage enemy

With a good team this can improve vanguard strength by 1-3 tank rounds in just a matter of seconds. Something the enemy usually isn't going to expect

My questions for you guys:
    are you guys less inclined to use NAR? What about other defense slot options?(stealth/armor upgrades) Anyone else use the "quick repair" or something similar? Thoughts on vehicle secondaries? etc.

Re: Thoughts on Vanguard changes and "quick repair" method

After our runs last night I'm switching to stealth.

Comment

Anyone taking stealth should alert the squad so that they can avoid giving you away - either by also taking stealth or by being in a different location.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

[MENTION=29978]MrJengles[/MENTION] It's good to inform the squad in general but, Sometimes it's good to have your position compromised. Imagine a Tank rounds a corner expecting only 1 MBT to fight because that is what the map tells him. Instead it finds 2 fully manned vanguards... definitely not good for its health

Some I'd like to see tested:
        I can see front/side armor working really well if you have a repair sundy with you. Increased armor= increased sundy effectiveness
        I'd also very much like to see three stealth vanguards in one place. It would be like an incredibly deadly game of peeka-boo

Comment

Didnt use nanite to begin with. To me it only served one purpose, doing repairs while I covered un-threatened distances and thus time. Otherwise in a big fight its useless as your taking hits too often for it to ever get a chance to turn on. Thus it has little to no capability of saving me in a time of need.

Instead I use front armor. The strength of the vanguard vs the other two factions is durability. So i take the front armor which is the highest of the three, maximize it further with the frontal armor and enjoy the plinking off my armor that ensues. Between this and strategy is what I use to keep my tank alive.

Comment

The NAR changes make having a repair sundi on site a lot more useful. Unfortunately, air took the greatest nerf here as the galaxy does not as of yet offer the same logistical support as the sundi.
            I think the above method would be extremely synergistic with fire suppression to further increase your speed repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by SierraSykes View Post
              I think the above method would be extremely synergistic with fire suppression to further increase your speed repairs.
              the thing is, Fire suppression has approximately the same cool down as the vanguard shield. So the options are 3-12% health back or 6 seconds of no damage? I know which one I'd prefer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X