No announcement yet.

Tactical Drills List

This is a sticky topic.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Drills List

Please post your tactical drills for practicing on Tuesdays.
    This forum is meant to be a list of drills for practicing on Tuesdays, and AARs for use of drills . Any discussion or other info should be in the "tactical Tuesday" forum. This is drills and AARs only.

There are some requirements. There is a difference between an idea and a drill.
    Your drills MUST include a “when useful” section, and “requirements” and “How to.” Break it down as much as you can, so we can try it some Tuesday, even if you are not there to explain it in person. So that any SL can take a second, read it on the forums, and say “OK guys, tonight we are practicing <your idea>….”

A drill is not a strategy, or an abstract principle, it is a very on the ground, get it done, step by step, plan. Be specific. It can be as "simple" as how to move from cover to cover across open terrain, or how to properly clear a stairwell. Or how to regroup an air formation when cohesion is lost. Think about taking something simple, and doing it the right way. We ain't talk'in pipe dreams here, we talk'in details.

You can include pictures, charts, or images if they help explain the drill, but try to break it down so any SL can read this, understand it, and try your idea.

Here is a format to use:

Title of tactic:

When useful:

<situation when it should be used>

<what is needed to use this tactic>

How to execute:
    step1… Step2.... < Make it simple enough to explain in less than 3 minutes. Squad leaders may have to explain this on the fly.>

If you are SLing, and have no particular plan in mind that day, please consider looking at this list and testing one out. Once you try the idea a few times with your squad, please POST an AAR describing the tactic, and what worked, what didn’t work, why it worked or didn’t, etc.

Bring on your ideas! Let's get tactical!
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: Tactical Drills List

Title of tactic: Proper Galaxy Drop Procedure

When useful:
    Whenever galaxy is being used.

1 Galaxy, 1 squad of infantry

How to execute:
    Step 1.) As troops are loading into the galaxy -- Squad Leader reminds the pilot that the pilot will "call the drop." (Do the count down, and tell the troops when to drop.)

Step 2.) As soon as galaxy is loaded, or upon order from Squad Leader, pilot takes off, whichever is first.

Step 3.) As the galaxy takes off -- Squad Leader informs the galaxy pilot of the drop zone. This can be with a marker, or verbally. Example: "Drop us on the Mau Tech Plant gun deck" or "Drop us directly on squad waypoint."

Step 4.) While Galaxy is in flight -- based on enemy resistance, enemy aircraft, and judgment, Squad Leader decides if anyone will be staying in the galaxy, and tells the pilot to stay in or drop with squad, and names any additional people to stay in. For instance "Pilot and JoeGamer22, stay in, all others will drop."

Step 5.) As galaxy approaches the drop zone -- squad leader gives last instructions as to what troops should do when they hit the ground. Example: "When you hit the deck, get to the rocks to your west and group up." or "As soon as you hit the ground engage the Sunderer to the North East."

Step 6.) As galaxy approaches the drop zone --- All Troops cease communication as they approach the drop zone to make sure everyone hears the count down and drop command.

Step 7.) As Galaxy is about to reach drop zone --- Pilot calls out a short count down : "3...2...1..." This warning allows troops to be ready to drop on cue.

Step 8.) OPTIONAL: If possible pilot slows speed or even stops the galaxy as he says the numbers "3...2...1" so that dropped troops will land in a tight pack. Heavy enemy fire may make this impossible, if enemy fire too heavy galaxy can maintain speed. Safety of the galaxy is paramount.

Step 9.) Over the drop zone ---- Pilot calls out the drop command, which is always "DROP-DROP-DROP" (Said 3 times to avoid confusion and mistake.)

Step 10.) Troops drop from the galaxy on "DROP-DROP-DROP" command. Troops should drop when they hear the SECOND "drop" if possible, the third if they are a little slow. (This is because anyone saying "drop" once may be using it in a sentence, or normal conversation. Anyone who repeats "DROP-DROP" twice is signaling it is time to eject from the aircraft. The third time saying "DROP" is to give anyone distracted or asleep or lagging one last chance to leave.)

Step 11.) As soon as he finishes saying the third "DROP" --- Pilot takes galaxy to a safe location to await further orders. Anyone still in the galaxy at that point is too late, and is now a gunner. The galaxy does not hover over the drop zone waiting for late droppers.

Contingency: If aircraft is in danger of being destroyed while still loaded with troops, the pilot or the squad leader may make the decision to drop the squad without warning to save their lives. The call is still "DROP-DROP-DROP." Troops should drop upon hearing that command without question or delay.
    Last edited by Garthra; 07-27-2014, 03:18 AM.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Title of tactic:
      Combined arms Battle Galaxy/Drop Squad

When useful:
      taking a smaller 1 cap base by surprise

Well certed battle galaxy; 9-12 man squad

How to execute:
      Step 1- Acquire Galaxy

Step 2- load squad into Galaxy

Step 3- proceed to objective base flying fast and low

Step 4- Identify turrets and/or anti-air hard targets (walker sundies, skyguards)

Step 5- use bulldogs and dropped infantry (keep 2 gunners in the galaxy) to neutralize priority targets around the base

Step 6- once anti air hard targets are neutralized, move infantry onto the point, and Galaxy covers enemy advance/ suppresses spawn

Step 7- Victory.

Hit-and-run CAS with spotter
        Use case:
        Taking out priority targets in a fight with minimal exposure to enemy AA and countermeasures. This tactic remains robust under light to medium AA presence. AA thick enough to invalidate this tactic is often a substantial opportunity cost for the enemy as they dedicate soldiers and materiel to the task (in which case, ineffective harassment that still forces them to field overwhelming AA assets can still be an effective use of your aircraft). This tactic is more effectively countered by a larger enemy air element that can chase down and overwhelm the CAS squad, making it a poor choice for AOs with substantial enemy air presence, but this can be mitigated by retreating in the direction of friendly AA.
        One or more ground spotters in the SL/PL position (preferably infiltrators with stalker cloak) and at least 3-4 aircraft (Reavers with rockets or Hornets preferred). Optionally includes an AA unit like a skyguard in a support position. A reasonably close supply for aircraft reloads is important, as is having a fairly secure staging area to retreat to.
        • Spotters take an SL/PL position so that they can set waypoints. Ideally spotters are PL in a platoon while the strike team is in a separate squad, but this can work with everyone in a single squad.
        • Establish a rally point as close to AO as possible without putting yourselves at risk and gather CAS units there. Get spotters into position within AO. If you have AA assets, they shoudl either be near the rally point or stationed somewhere along expected lines of retreat after an attack run.
        • Command and control of aircraft is managed by flight leader, while the spotter calls out targets, IDs threats, and advises on angle of approach.
        • Attack pattern -
          1) Spotter flags target with waypoint, calls it in to flight squad plus any additional information
          2) Flight leader directs their squadron to into attack (usually a high altitude dive-bombing run). Attempt to approach from an unexpected angle at high speed to minimize the amount of warning the enemy receives.
          3) After killing the target, running into AA, or otherwise disrupted all air units retreat, peeling off any pursuit as they do so. If you have AA assets, have them cover the retreat. Breaking contact ASAP is important for minimizing the enemy AA's window of opportunity.
          4) Rearm, repair, and replace assets as needed
          5) Reform at rally point, flight leader informs spotters that CAS is available and awaits new targets

Perfect drop procedure. And something we do often enough that it should be a drill. As most of you know, Gal piloting and airborne infantry drops are something near and dear to me, so I wanted to chime in my $0.02.

Just a minor quibble. As a highly experienced Gal pilot, personally I always prefer for the SL (or PL) to announce the target as early as possible (i.e., before we take off, while people are changing kits and loading up). This allows me as the pilot to take a quick look at the map and plan the route, before I take off. Now sometimes there is not time for this, but I feel it is an important step. Basically scan the map from WG to target, mousing over territories and looking for large concentrations of troops (particularly platoon(s)+) and routing around them, using my own personal waypoint to either mark areas to avoid, geographical features to navigate to / through (valleys, etc.) as appropriate. Then by the time the lift off command is given, I already have a clear idea of the route and any trouble areas to avoid, and can concentrate solely on flying and making a good drop. Announcing the target has the added benefit of allowing the squad to grab a more appropriate / dialed in kit makeup for the specific target (inside/outside, near/far scopes, etc.).

I would like to reiterate the importance of coming to a full stop before/while giving the drop command. If you don't, the squad will continue their momentum in the direction you were traveling, and/or end up scattered all over the place and therefore ineffective. Normally I come in fast and low, full speed and then pull up hard on the yoke and smash space bar to stop my forward momentum. This is why the pilot calls the drop. He knows when he is in position and has/will come to a stop. He also knows the rate he is taking damage and when to give the command to drop early if the Gal is not going to make it all the way. Keep in mind also that there is a 1-2 second or so delay with the in game VOIP between the time you say it and when the guys hear you.

But I am pretty good at delivering guys on time and on target (even on to tops of specific buildings, the balcony at the Tech Plant, etc.). Incidentally, that is probably something you should practice individually if you enjoy playing the role of Gal transport pilot. You can go into VR and just practice doing touch and gos on the pads on the back tower. Also bumping up your flak armor is not a bad investment if you like to do transport piloting. It allows you to deliver the goods even in a fairly hot LZ.
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Liberator Kill Maneuver.
            -When Useful? taking down lone tanks and vehicles and even larger air targets, also in the role of galaxy interception. (Do not attempt on large Armour columns. Doing so poses significant risk to the liberator and crew). Also should be employed in squad setting only when Highly Organized. Also effective against enemy liberators, (Ive been killed by this maneuver many times)
            -Requirements, 2 man lib crew with dalton and tankbuster. Shredder or zephyr may work But I havent had significant enough evidence to see.
            -How to execute.
            1. Liberator spots target, and alerts his gunner that they are about to perform the maneuver
            2. Liberator goes nose down
            3. Pilot leads with the tank buster once in range (Ideally from the tanks backside).
            4. Pilot says "Nose Up" (Ideally very loudly) to let the gunner know it his time to fire.
            5. The Belly gun finishes off the target.
            6. Once the target is down the belly gunner says "Kill Confirmed"
            7. Rinse and Repeat.
            Last edited by RaymondScout; 09-14-2014, 06:42 PM.

That sounds a lot like the tactic the liberator crews were espousing when we were trialing Galaxy interception tactics a while back! Apparently it was a very efficient way to kill a Galaxy in a hurry, so that's another use case for it.

^^^ Edited in the uses portion

Title of tactic: Air-to-Ground Reaver Flight Strike
                  A2G-Support Reaver Flight Basics

When useful:
                  Whenever a static target is identified.

2 to 3 Reavers with Breaker Rocket Pods

The theater of operation is divided in three (3) spherical concentric areas. From the smallest to the biggest :
                  1.) [0000, 0300]m - Forbidden area : Area that every aircraft should avoid.
                  2.) ]0300, 0800]m - Engagement area : Area within which every aircrafts weapons are going green. Exposition in this area should not be extended.
                  3.) ]0800, 2000]m - Operation area : Area within which every aircrafts are maneuvering towards their target/outward to their gathering point.
                  What to have in mind while performing this tactic.
                  Keep in mind that air assets are both precious and fragile. Do not lose one in order to seize an occasion.
                  Keep in mind that the more you are in a given area of the sky, the more scattered is unorganised incoming fire. Thus, higher is the survivability.
                  Keep in mind that in order to dispatch your damage output adequately and to risk less, do not engage more Flights than necessary in a mission.
                  Keep in mind that every second spent in the engagement area is too much.
                  How to execute:

Step 0.) Place a waypoint on the target. Assemble the Flight at the edge of the operation area. Make sure every pilot sets a Personal waypoint as a gathering waypoint. Form up a line with the Squad Leader; same altitude, same distance from the target. Squad Leader briefs his pilots on the situation, gives the direction in which every pilot should break, what if the Flight is engaged by air, etc.
                  Until a culture is established, communications should resemble to this :
                  [SL] "Form up on me, in a line, altitude 900m above sea."
                  [SL] "Place a personal waypoint on your current location. It will be our gathering point."
                  [SL] "Target has been identified. It is a deployed Sunderer, located at squad mark."
                  [SL] "We will go throught operation area at top speed, ceiling. Operation area extend from 2000 meters to 800 meters. If we are engaged by air within this area, go through contact report and engage/flee. Mission will be delayed/aborted."
                  [SL] "Once we are at 800 meters out, we want to be at just above stall speed, 70 kilometers per hour, so we will slow down around 850 meters."
                  [SL] "Then I will try to mark the target and identify it verbally. Once you identify the target, align on it. Fire on my mark, only. "Firefirefire" will be the mark."
                  [SL] "Once we have fired every rockets we have, I will call "Breakbreakbreak", then we will break left/right."
                  [SL] "Do you copy procedures?"
                  [SM] "Yes/no."

Step 1.) Once Squad Leader calls it, every pilot will hit forward key, then the afterburner key, in order to go through Operation area as switfly as possible.
                  [SL] "Hit the afterburner once your thrusters are fully horizontaly engaged. Move on my mark."
                  [SL] "Is everyone set?"
                  [SM] "Yes/no."
                  [SL] "Wait for it. Mark."
                  Step 2.) As the Flight hits 850m from target, it slow down. Prescribed speed is 70kph in order to give time to pilots to align on target in the shortest lenght possible.
                  [SL] "Slow down on my mark. Speed set to 70 kilometers per hour."
                  [SL] "Do you copy?"
                  [SM] "Copy."
                  [SL] "Wait for it. Mark."
                  Step 3.) While the Flight is setting its speed, Squad Leader (Q) spots the target and verbaly identifies it. Every pilot copies and aligns on identified target. Squad Leader makes sure everyone is aligned and call for fire. Every pilot fires.
                  [SL] "Target is the deployed Sunderer south east off the squad waypoint."
                  [SL] "Do you copy?"
                  [SM] "Copy."
                  [SL] "Is everyone aligned with target?"
                  [SM] "Yes/no"
                  [SL] "On my mark. Firefirefire."
                  Step 4.) Squad Leader calls for the break maneuver. In order to keep the advantage of the number, every pilot breaks in the prescribed direction and goes towards its personal waypoint.
                  [SL] "Remember, we break left/right on my mark."
                  [SL] "Breakbreakbreak."
                  If Flight is engaged by air within Operation area, the mission should be delayed in order to try to save aircrafts.
                  If Flight is engaged by air within Engagement area, it should flee until it gets back in Operation area in order to deny enemy air deterrence support.

Title: LIGHT ASSAULT FIRE TEAMS (In progress)
                    WHEN USEFUL: Taking on any targets that are useful for light assault to take on. I.E. Max units, sunderers, Shield Gens etc...
                    REQUIREMENTS: -A HIGHLY ORGANIZED TEAM. LA's tend to be separated very easily. -Load outs can very depending on the mission, I would recommend High ROF weapons. 2-4 Light assualts. no more no less too large of a presence will get you noticed faster.
                    BRIEFING: LA's are both very useful, yet at the same time due to the nature of their roles very disorganized as well. The goal of this training Will be too Organize and Potentially form a fire team made solely of Light Assaults, In the event of a squad leads need. The secondary goal of this training will be to hopefully improve survive ability for the class.
                    1.) Light assault fire teams should be gathered before the mission.
                    2.) Fire teams should be led by A highly experienced leader, and their members be highly disciplined.
                    3.) The LA Fireteam until requested should function as normal members of the ground squad, until asked to use their abilities to take on an objective.
                    4.) LA Fireteam leader upon request should give the order to form up on his position.
                    5.) On the Command "Jump" said three times the team should all use their jumpjets to gain access to the roof.
                    6.) The first on the roof should scan 360 degrees and give a report as to weather or not the roof is clear.
                    7.) The team should then form up a second time breifly before going after their objective.
                    From their there is two options
                    Option A.) Hammer Anvil (Used for most situations)
                    1.) Squad sticks together following Fireteam leader.
                    2.) Enemy encounters should be called from 1 of six directions. either Above, Below, Left, Right. Forward or behind. (Getting guns to bear quickly is highly important. Being a quick draw can save your fireteams life.)
                    3.) Weapons status for rooftop status should always be set to yellow (Remember your goal is to be stealthy)
                    4.) Before jumping across rooftops squads should be formed up.
                    5.) Fireteam leader should call drop down from 1 of four directions when leaving the rooftop N,S,E,W
                    6.) Finally engage targets as you would normally.
                    7.) After your mission is finished regroup with your squad.
                    OPTION B.) Slow support Net. (Ideal for Roof Top Support under Ideal circumstances
                    1.) Upon gaining access to the roof your fireteam should fan out in a horizontal line shape. roughly 6 to 10 yards apart from each other.
                    2.) The Fireteam should then slowly moving forward calling the direction of incoming attacks, Following behind the ground forces, but above them.
                    3.) Once in proper positions, The teams weapon status should be set to green. The idea is to fire into doorways and provide suppressive fire giving your squad a chance to move into successful breaching positions. Your goal is not to get kills but rather to keep the enemy from getting out of their cubby hole to shoot at either you or your team.
                    4.) As soon as the light assault team comes under fire they should immediately retreat and regroup with the main squad , ideally sticking together, to save as many lives as possible.
                    (Bear in mind this isnt finished but should hopefully give tg a starting point on training light assault fire teams.) Thoughts below?

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed