An idea on how to magnifiy a TG squad during an alert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea on how to magnifiy a TG squad during an alert

A few days ago I was with a public platoon during an alert on Indar. We the NC only had 16% of the map, VS had 51% and TR had 33%. During the alert was invited by a public platoon, I joined when I did it only about 2 squads large, however as the alert went on, with the willingness to increase the size of the squad, it went up almost to a full platoon, a platoon large enough that if the platoon was ordered to move to another base it would significant affect the ability for a zerg to cap the base. Despite being a bunch of blueberries, I was quite surprised.

Yesterday during the Indar alert, I decided to try this on my with only a squad of 3 people I boosted it up to a full 24 member squad, throughout the Alert I watched how the squad move, how quickly in general a blueberry squad was able to move from one base to another and how well cohesive the squad was, and despite some of the shortcomings we had we were able to assault a group of sunder on a cliff of one of the bases and create a offensive on Scarred Mesa Skydock, a relatively hard base to assault. In general what held us back during the alert was a Lack of squad leaders to increase the size of the platoon

How I believe they be used most effectively

I believe during an Alert or any major fight blueberries shouldn't be seen as an extension of the TG squad but be run as a separate entity from the squad in general. with the ability to separate outfit members from blueberries in squad management and limit who joins a squad this isn't really that hard. As a TG Squad Leader change the squad to Outfit only and do what you usually do as a TG squad and remain elite and dangerous as a pubbie SL just let people join and direct them to the objective don't be too strict be a little patient as you are the one in control and if you have any problem members give them a few warning and kick them, it doesn't need to be very stressful. I never expect blueberries to change kits redeploy in a timely fashion and do a complex maneuver as in a TG squad, instead I expect them to support us in a fight and force the enemy to use up resources stopping their advances while the TG squad accomplishes the specific objectives or pull up specific assets to support them. With enough Squad leaders, a bit of patience and the division of members we possibly have the ability to lead advances of our own during an alert instead of being in the background.

In general blueberries are the Infantry and we are the Cavalry.

However despite all this being said, It is best that unless you have only 1 squad up it is best to never let the squad mix, TG members, if you have one squad of blueberries and TG members mixed I recommend never letting it go above that number I understand people joined this outfit for a fun but a somewhat mature gaming experience and I can see however randoms can take away from that so with the exception of yesterday if you ever see me SL even if there are volunteers I will always detract from that and in my personal opinion so should others.

If you have any other suggestions or share a different opinion feel free to post below.

Re: An idea on how to magnifiy a TG squad during an alert

I completely, 100% agree with you. I've actually been toying with the idea of having a pubby squad alongside a TG squad for a bit now. I was also fairly impressed with the pubbies willingness to follow the SL and do what was asked of them. Now obviously this is not to the level of a TG squad but it would be nice to have, for example, a squad of pubbies doing some spawn suppression (which they are going to do anyway lets face it) while a full TG squad waits in the point room for the inevitable rush. Meat shields all around! As soon as I get my computer somewhere I can yell at it a bit more (stuck in the living room for the next week and a half) I'd be willing to herd the pubbies around.

One important thing is that they have to be kept in the action or you won't be able to get enough people. Maybe not ideal for tactics but that's the way it goes. I just mean we can't go trekking off on 1000km flanking maneuvers around bases, it's gotta be direct. Still a useful tool I think, and those that enjoy the tactics might even end up joining up!

Originally posted by Chipshade View Post
    I never expect blueberries to change kits redeploy in a timely fashion and do a complex maneuver as in a TG squad, instead I expect them to support us in a fight and force the enemy to use up resources stopping their advances while the TG squad accomplishes the specific objectives or pull up specific assets to support them.
    Yup and actually the squad seems to get refined because once the right types of people join and stay you can start to give more specific orders and watch them be followed. Quite a while ago I had a squad (that I took over from a BL or PHX guy) actually following me around just like a real squad, I mean actually following too not just at the same base or same general area, right behind me. That's part of the reason I think that the real problem with the NC isn't necessarily the players but the organization which is just poor.

Comment

I disagree. I want to see LESS full-TG squads, and more mixed squads. Yes, the quality of play in a full TG squad is great, but with proper wrangling you can get similar performance out of blues (with judicious and merciless use of the kick command). Aside from boosting our numbers, though, open squads are pretty much our only meaningful source of recruits, and recruits are what will keep this community kicking.

I encourage squad leaders to open their squads up once they've got a solid cadre of TG players in their squad (a 50%+ ratio seems to work pretty well, in my experience). Set up on the recruitment list and accept blues into the squad; set your expectations early and enforce them. TG members in the squad should be doing their utmost to set a good example.

Ultimately, we are NOT a closed off, private, or elitist group; TG is and has always been an open community that welcomes everybody willing to play on our terms. The TG style of play isn't FOR everyone, but we don't bar the gates either.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
        I disagree. I want to see LESS full-TG squads, and more mixed squads. Yes, the quality of play in a full TG squad is great, but with proper wrangling you can get similar performance out of blues (with judicious and merciless use of the kick command). Aside from boosting our numbers, though, open squads are pretty much our only meaningful source of recruits, and recruits are what will keep this community kicking.

I encourage squad leaders to open their squads up once they've got a solid cadre of TG players in their squad (a 50%+ ratio seems to work pretty well, in my experience). Set up on the recruitment list and accept blues into the squad; set your expectations early and enforce them. TG members in the squad should be doing their utmost to set a good example.

Ultimately, we are NOT a closed off, private, or elitist group; TG is and has always been an open community that welcomes everybody willing to play on our terms. The TG style of play isn't FOR everyone, but we don't bar the gates either.
        All good points. I think you'll find this anyway because on a good night we will get about a squad + 4-5 people so if you fill out that second squad with blues it will be mixed.

Comment

Many good points guys by everyone.

[MENTION=54480]Chipshade[/MENTION] blue berries can be useful, you are right to point that out. But I trust them not one bit. If a mass of them have success by numbers, I look at it as monkeys typing Shakespeare, it happens, sure, but you cannot bank on it. Doesn't mean there are not good blueberry players, and even good squads from other outfits. There are.

I am with [MENTION=16189]starstriker1[/MENTION], I like mixed TG and pubbies, but more as a recruitment method. Anyone who is not up to the standard, warn them, politely, be respectful, give them a chance, then remove them.
          [MENTION=6101]Hero[/MENTION] a solid piece of logic.
          The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I agree with Garth 100% here. I was there with you organizing the attack on the skydock. at best we had 8 people up near the actual point out of 24 people in the platoon. Though we held for about 3 minutes extraordinarily well, it was doomed to fail. We kept it as simple as possible, deploy into the Galaxy and drop on the point. Regardless there were only about 8 people up there, with the others scrambling to spawn at sundies below the point and getting farmed at the jump pads. Not to mention it took 5-10 minutes of hovering to get everyone to actually spawn into the gals, after repeated warning and kicks.

The problem really was that there were only 3 TG guys in the platoon at the time with no one to set an example. which is why the other night I wanted to split our squad into 2 and bring in pubbies. just took a really long time to get a full squad. 6 tg guys setting the example, and the others will follow. Bright green dots on the map are like lights to a "blueberry" moth.

for a medium-experienced SL, its just incredibly frustrating, when you want to make crisp clean movements, to have 75% of your squad unable to communicate with you because they have no mic AND refusing to cooperate with orders. Its impossible to enforce any sort of tactical play with a platoon of 90% blueberries.

Comment

double posting, excuse me.

I think this new update has really thrown this game for a loop in terms of tactics and composition of OPFOR. For some reason it feels inherently different though I cant really put my finger on how or why.

nonetheless, taking our action at Saerro listening post the other day as an example, one of the most important and impactful actions we as an outfit can take is to deny the enemy spawn logistics during defensive battles. We spawned in on the base and realized that the tower was being heavily spawn camped, and took note of the positions of enemy sunderers around the base. We dropped a squad from a galaxy into an advantageous position and managed to eliminate 3 enemy sunderers from around the base, despite being attacked by numerous enemy armored units. within minutes the base was secured and we were moving on.

I guess what im trying to get at is, we as a platoon dont always need to be on the offensive to be effective. We as a platoon dont always need to be going to the single capture point at a one point base. We are the ones who know that the spawn logistics and advantageous terrain are more important than numbers.

Comment

My preferred mode of operation has always been to let the zerg do the heavy lifting and grind against control points, entrenched enemies, and hard targets, while we play smarter and ENABLE their success. Take a flank and suppress/eliminate the forces preventing their advance, knock out Sunderers that are supplying the enemy, provide AV/AA overwatch, open up new fronts on the enemy, etc.

What you can rely on is the zerg mentality:
                • Go for certs
                • Go for kills/heavy fighting
                • Go for explicit objectives
                • Go NOW

Any zerg you find will preferentially and predictably favour those tasks and objectives. That means we don't NEED to take a control point, or plow through the worst of the fighting, or hit the generators: the blues will DEFINITELY do that for us if we let them. That means that tasks that stop the enemy from preventing that (or provide our guys a strong foundation) will work magic by amplifying blueberry effectiveness.

A great example is the one base on Hossin where we just focused on locking down a single building with overwatch of the point. Tactically, we were in a solid position and could hold there long term, and our position shifted the front lines forward closer to the point and provided a solid safe zone for friendlies to advance to the CP. As friendly forces slowly rose and hit the critical mass required to actually DO that, our position paid dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                  That means we don't NEED to take a control point, or plow through the worst of the fighting, or hit the generators: the blues will DEFINITELY do that for us if we let them. That means that tasks that stop the enemy from preventing that (or provide our guys a strong foundation) will work magic by amplifying blueberry effectiveness.
                  Slight disagreement here. The blues will try to take points but in larger, even numbered battles the NC loses 9/10. The VS and to a lesser extent the TR have better organized platoons that kick our platoons of PotP and PHX around the map all day. All they need is a little bit of leadership and they could start winning. I'm not just saying that either, roll with VCO on one of their op nights. In general I haven't seen the VCO guys to be of any better quality than the avg player but because they get four squads together and take a point by simply having alpha go to alpha bravo to bravo and making sure their guys stay at the point, its like what one noob in the platoon said: "its like playing on easy mode". But it has nothing to do with the zerg or numbers, the fights are 50/50 but now we actually have guys who are using the slightest of tactics and guess what, we actually start to win some. And the best part is, when you have platoons organized and they throw up organized opposition (which they are capable of!) you get EPIC, crazy, battles. Out of the three factions we are by far the least organized and so we just lose all day, I'm more encouraged by that because it means we can effect the change on our side to start winning, or at the very least start having large fun fights.

I know there isn't much of a metagame, and I'm not so competitive that we have to win every time, but damn it feels good to kick the (organized, platoon sized) VS's butt after being steamrolled by them whenever they feel like it ever since I started playing. In the most recent large scale fight I was in that we won by taking and holding this one building it was platoon v. platoon and we were getting hammered by MAXes but we managed to hold out and win. This triggered a rash of some taunt from the VCO in yell chat and I said "hey TR great fight that's what this game is about!" and some guy responded "what a giant farm?" except he was the sore loser "getting farmed" (it wasn't a farm, not what I consider one anyway) this time instead of us! I saw that and I was sitting there all smug like "damn it feels good to be a gangsta" hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Hero View Post
                    Slight disagreement here. The blues will try to take points but in larger, even numbered battles the NC loses 9/10.
                    I doubt that, but even if it were true, it doesn't change my central point: going for the obvious, extrinsically rewarding objectives isn't necessary with a zerg around, because they behave predictably. Organized squads like what TG runs are much better employed taking the less obvious path and removing all the obstacles to enable the zerg to charge to victory. Defend a forward position, hold the high ground, threaten a flank, whatever the zerg doesn't know they need. We rarely need to be on the points ourselves.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X