Harassers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harassers

I've been part of a few harasser squads the last few days, and have been taking some notes along the way. This is a simple takeaway kind of thread, with some pointers/observations.

Everyone knows what a Harasser is. Few people are indifferent to the vehicle, it is either loved, respected, or hated. It carries a pretty serious amount of firepower in a very nimble (and fragile) package.Due to this, there are a few golden rules to live by:

1) Keep moving. You stop in view of the enemy, you die.
    2) Keep your distance. If the harasser were good up close, you'd see wolf packs of bulldogs and canisters zipping through close infantry formations. They aren't. Don't get within 50m of an MBT, Don't storm an infantry strong point, don't drive into a formation of lightnings. The harasser is a pop up over the hill, destroy target, run like Satan himself is chasing you vehicle. Halberd, Walker, Enforcer are all excellent mid-long range weapons, there is no concievable reason to get in close, unless the enemy has his tail to you and you can finish him before he turns to engage.
    3) Max out your armor. Against a tank round the Harasser is an eggshell. Must. Have. Armor.
    4) Max out fire suppression. Harassers can get behind cover/out of fire pretty quickly. That fire suppression may be the make-or-break factor if you unwisely get too close to the enemy, or get flanked.
    5) Load up engineers with mines and AV turrets. The most devastating use of the harasser is as rapid transport to place AV nests to pick off enemy spawn logistics, then disappearing before the enemy has a chance to react and call in a strike on your position. It's so effective, in fact, that a medium range survey of the base is recommended over driving right up to the base. Again, distance is your friend. Coupled with Harasser speed and agility, it can make you seem like an invincible ghost. Get behind the enemy lines and mine the crap out of their paths, then taunt vehicles into the field.
    6) For a well-oiled Harasser crew, the only meaningful counter to the harasser is overwhelming aerial bombardment or an equivalently capable group of harassers. MBT's are too slow, and while they will chase you away, you should not suffer more than minor casualties if you're on the bounce. Lighnings are Harasser snacks, as are sunderers. If you have enemy harasser contacts, group up immediately and watch each other's 6.

Weapons:

1) Halberd is the king of anti-armor. However, low ammo count gives it a weakness in one of the harasser's best roles as behind enemy lines resource depriver. Enforcer has a lot less oomph but more staying power. If operating in friendly territory, halberd is a great choice. If going abroad, maybe not.
    2) Enforcer: Mentioned above, a lot less bang, but quicker firing and higher ammo count.
    3) Walker: Low damage weapon with an unending supply of bullets. It's my opinion that the walker's damage was silently nerfed a good deal, however it is still an excellent anti-air gun, and is effective against all but the best halberd-weilding enemy harassers. The Vulcan, by comparison, has a terrible effective range. So if you follow golden rule 2, you can take a Vulcan harasser any day of the week. Air is deterred more than destroyed by a single Walker, however a coordinated pair can keep the skies clear via pretty explosions of enemy craft. Extremely useful for long-term behind enemy lines deployment. (~2200 rounds). Used primarily with AV turret distance attacks to fend of air, it's an ideal weapon.
    4) Bulldog: This could be a decent support weapon, but the situation really needs to be right. I'm afraid I've not enough experience to really call it, I know a bulldog harasser will suffer signifcantly more casualties than the three above, having no real anti-armor or anti-air capabilities. In this case, being an annoyign vehicle has it's downside of being quickly targetted.

One good observation is that a coordinated group of harassers can melt enemy targets if done carefully. A field with more than 2 magriders should simply be abandoned, no matter how many harassers you have. You will not win. If armor targets can be singled out and attacked from multiple angles, then you're talking. Sunderers make great bait.

Manning a Harasser:

1) Driver and gunner are engineers with av turrets and mines. Utility pounch = extra mines = more boom.
    2) Rumble seat: An engineer is a squishy passenger, and will not soak up that much damage before dying. A Max can't repair anything. It's a tradeoff, but the Max in the back increases survivability of a retreat, as well as providing extra firepower (With a Walker setup, go AV with the MAX. Drop the max on a hill in the middle of the battle and engage, making 1 target turn into 2, both causing damage. Halberd harasser may want to consider using a burster.

So summary: Sneaky, distant, assassins with turrets.
    MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Re: Harassers

Hi there,

Cool write up. Ghostshooter suggested I stop by given the subject matter.

I disagree with some points. All things being equal, an Enforcer crew will destroy a Halberd crew regardless of ability. Enforcer is easymode compared to Halberd and Vulcan. Saron is easymode compared to Enforcer. TR still have the worst AV weapon by comparison to the NC and VS. Given that harasser combat is never equal, never fair and no two fights are the same, playing TR harassers requires a higher degree of defensive play than NC or VS.

Versus MBTs:

Harasser vs Prowler is actually an easy kill if you don't mess up your advantage of being able to circle the Prowler and land your critical shots while it's deployed. In fact, if you take your time to aim, you can land one clip of Enforcer and 2 Halberd shots into it's rear before it completely undeploys from lockdown. Those are critical shots in your favour. Play it smart, use cover in your engagement and you'll see that harassers can easily take down Prowlers.

Harasser vs Magrider however is a completely different animal. Not as easy, but not impossible. Use cover, have an escape plan, and if that isn't possible, use range or get some help.

Lucky for you, you have no need to face Vanguards.

Some other points:

- Smoke is very handy vs lockon warriors.
    - Fire Suppression is best in AV fights.
    - Stealth on a harasser is like stealth on everything else. It's OP as hell if you know how to take advantage of it.
    - Comp armor will allow you to take extra damage, which may be good if dueling harassers. No need for Stealth if you're effectively playing a TDM game.
    - Radar is excellent for CQC, like on your Cannister inside the Octagon.
    - Bulldog splash and arc were nerfed.
    - Fury can kill armor and one-clip a lightning (max clip).
    - Kobalt is a fantastic AI weapon.
    - On NC, I still use the Halberd because it's my favourite and I can snipe infantry.
    - Walker + Halberd (2 harassers) make a formidable force.
    - Ranger is great but the learning curve is considerable and thus most players won't go near it.
    - AA Harasser + AV MAX is an excellent option; as is AV harasser + AA MAX. AA harasser + AA MAX is better than a Skyguard. AV Harasser + AV MAX is deadlier than a tank. (except Prowler with Halberd Gunner at medium to long range)
    - Sooooo many options. Harasser is one of the most fun metas in the game.

I had more but this forum doesn't like my links. So, if you have questions - feel free to visit the /r/harasser reddit sub. Lots of excellent material there for the wannabe eggshell warriors who love driving into hordes of Mattherson TR.

Cheers!

[ECUS] fodollah

Comment

Tanks for stopping by and adding to the discussion!

The Enforcer does have higher DPS than a Halberd, now that you mention it I've very rarely used one on the Harasser. And you are completely correct when ranking the faction-specific weapons, although I have to say a close-up with a Vulcan is incredibly unpleasant. The Sauron is... well yeah.

I have a video on here somewhere demonstrating 2 harassers taking down lone magriders using walkers, having an experienced gunner on the mag would make that a lot more dangerous, unless of course he's using a PPA.

I'm usually very unlucky in my experiences with Prowlers, I always find the ones who know how to position themselves when locked down. And the always seem to have Halberd secondaries. :-)

We have had a lot of luck running walker and halberd combos, it's great to let the halberd focus on the ground without running from air, and the walkers to focus on air without getting too distracted by ground targets. I'm going to have to try the enforcer out a little more carefully and get a feel, I've put a lot of time on one in a Vanguard, but not the harasser.

sigpic

Comment

Aren't PPAs (and Marauders/Canisters) designed for ripping up light vehicles like Harassers? I though their damage type was optimized against them.

Comment

Harrassers are scavangers also. Any time you see friendly armor moving in you can use them as meat shields and get off a lot more rounds without having to leave the area to regrp. You can do this also by flanking and just spotting larger armor, waiting for the friendly engagement then finishing off the target without leaving the fight. just a lil more patience in that area and u don't even have to do a hard flank for Turret setup at times. I know this now because of all my solo play. remember when flanking if not using stealth or when using stealth the spot comes in handy then just wait before you attack. Don't just attack what u see over the hill.

FUN FUN

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
            Aren't PPAs (and Marauders/Canisters) designed for ripping up light vehicles like Harassers? I though their damage type was optimized against them.
            I haven't seen that in practice. While the PPA at range is more effective than the Vulcan at range, it's nothing to run for the hills over. The Sauron, on the other hand, is a major problem to be anywhere near. It lays down so much damage in so short a time with apparently point-and-shoot results as to be devastating. Just last night, we were chasing a VS harasser and had it down to around 10% health, we went from 60-70% to dead in one solid volley from the Sauron.
            [MENTION=14808]sparhawkxx[/MENTION] The time in the enforcer harasser last night was good, I still need to get used to that weapon again, I've not been tanking recently, and when I have the Halberd has been the weapon of choice. Very effective though. I wish it incapable of missing like the VS weapon though... ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post

Yes. A Cannister harasser with extended mag can one-clip an enemy harasser in close range.

Comment

I thought My experience playing a great deal of vs, before maining nc on emerald may help here. Unless the weapon has been buffed, If I remember correctly at more of the long end of mid to long range the sauron is actually surprisingly inaccurate. Infantry are surprisingly hard to hit as well although it can be done. Id recommend trying to use long distance weapon when taking on a sauron equipped target. perhaps dropping off a lockon heavy may be a viable tactic as well.

Comment

That 3rd engy if done right should be dropped off and picked up for cross firing the target. We have done this but on very rare occasion. Very good trap strat. Just needs more practice and the driver or 3rd person if he knows his job can call the drop can also be the SL so he can mark the drop point. If done fast enough you will take down quite a bit of NME. Heavy and ammo for same result.

FUN FUN

Comment

At that point might as well just be a Raven MAX, though, shouldn't it?

Comment

At that point you lose the rear repair flexibility, as well as the extra mines. you are,however, a much harder target to kill.

sigpic

Comment

Wasn't rear-repair nerfed into the ground a while back? Like, on top of having to sweet-spot it and not being able to repair at all at high speed, it repaired incredibly slowly?

Seemed to me it was pretty much useless post-nerf, usually better to just run and hide, then repair with both driver and gunner.

But then I've been out of the loop for a long time now.
                        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Yeah, I think it's at 25% repair speed. Still better than nothing in a tight spot as you run away, but no longer the aggravatingly survivable Harassers of yesteryear.

Comment

Hit and run move move move.that's what a harraser needs to do all the time.

FUN FUN

Comment

Also a harraser is very fragile. When your on point with 1 or in a squad of them always go after the aggressive NME. This means if you see the rear of a sunderer and a tank is coming for you or a friendly or squad member please go after the aggressive Tank. Take out the resistence first all the time. We are not Kamikazes :) I talk a lot so I just call out a lot of targets. This doesn't mean try to shoot all of them at once :) Working back and forth from 3rd person in the harraser will help you with this.

FUN FUN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X