Using Spitfires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Spitfires

Just want to get people thinking about how best to employ these things.

Here's a thought: an armour squad is almost always completely full of engineers, doesn't switch from those classes, and rarely are out of their vehicles long enough to drop MANA turrets. They've also got ready access to Sunderers to replenish a spitfire after its placed. Therefore, an armour squad can drop an entire spitfire nest, along with supplementary mines, to keep a Sunderer safe.

With an appropriate spread and good placement, that could be a VERY strong deterrent to lone infantry, especially light assaults, as the massed turrets will shred solo players with ease. They'd need to be placed so as not to be too visible from beyond their 50m range, but this would be a great thing for armour players to plop down during their downtime, especially when the battle has moved inside a base and all that's left is to secure the Sunderers.

Re: Using Spitfires

Take the time to climb before engaging. A slow Spitfire is a dead spitfire. You'll be able to out-turn most things you meet in the horizontal, but wait for a good clean shot as you don't have much ammo. Try to leave enemy bombers and heavy attackers alone for the same reason. Avoid turning in the vertical with Messerschmitts. Don't let Messerschmitts and Focke-Wulfs bait you into following them in a climb. Climb when you have the chance, but keep enough speed to dodge boom and zoomers when they dive on you. Obviously don't try to turn with Zeroes or Biplanes. You are the boom-and-zoomer in that situation.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

It took until halfway through that paragraph before I realized what you were on about, you damn troll. :P

Comment

I dropped one in the bio lab, and two more appeared next to it, I was repairing all three all the time, until another Engy helped me, was sitting there for over 10 mins( so many kills and assists from the landing pad, Lt assaults flew in, they all beeped, looked up and the LA was dead, but alas, when I died, they did not last long with out any repairs, I could repair two of them with a full engy tool.

While running armour, when we hold up, I will drop one in a U or L shape area or a dip in the ground facing away from the main front, just in case a LA pops up from our rear, it has saved us many time.

This gun/turret, is not good in open areas, and is best suited for areas where the enemy might pass by without looking.

also watch out for its friendly fire, it does not care if you are standing between it and a target.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
          It took until halfway through that paragraph before I realized what you were on about, you damn troll. :P
          I saw the subject line and could not resist.

The War Thunder subforum gets so little love!

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I think that this is an excellent Sunderer defense idea, but I once read that only ONE Spitfire can be deployed per engineer.

Comment

This is why an armour squad is a good candidate for pulling it off. They're all engineers, and they've all got turret slots essentially free (AV MANA turrets might be a nice addition once you've lost your tank, but that's at best supplimentary to an armour squad). They're also going to be STAYING as engineers while they pilot their armour, which means the turret won't disappear when they change classes. An armour squad can drop 12 turrets, hop back in their tanks, and not worry about them afterwards... a lot like deploying a minefield, really, but it shoots bullets!

Comment

On topic, I like the idea. I've always been a big proponent of armored units (ESPECIALLY Harasser squads!) carrying mines to place on battle flanks, roads, and behind enemy lines. This smells like a good extension of the idea.

I'm not sure if it would be as effective, (50 meters isn't much!) but for the most part, your turret slot does nothing as an armor engineer. Good places to deploy might be natural trenches, outskirts of bases, or outcrops of trees and rocks that infantry are likely to use for cover.

The trouble is, the high infantry-traffic areas where these would be most useful are also the most dangerous places to park your tank. Any thoughts? Short of scorched-earth style deployment, it could be pretty dangerous to get them out there.

vts brings up a great point about sprinkling a few around the rear/flanks of a position when you stop too. (although I might argue that an armor squad should never be in one place long enough to deploy turrets...)

Comment

I'd keep them out of high traffic areas, TBH. If you aren't around to babysit them they'll get torn apart in short order, which would make them a very fleeting advantage. I like the idea of scattering them around a Sunderer just because it makes the Sunderer more difficult to approach. Worst case scenario they serve as a buffer that enemy infantry has to chop down before they can hit the Sunderer.

Another problem with spamming them into an otherwise high traffic area is it just puts you so much out of your way as a tank driver. I think the most promising avenue is to place them in areas that are relatively marginal, so that they can catch flanking enemies and provide security in places that your team isn't as likely to watch. The infantry can mind the front line, but turrets--which aren't tough enough or dangerous enough to be really solid front line defense--are pretty well suited to ambush and perimeter security roles, imo.

Comment

I'm holding off on getting mine. It seems like they will be getting a buff soon(ish)

Comment

For Harasser squads, the AV Mana is the king. For tanks, though, I could see spitfires being a good choice, put them around friendly sundies, under trees, near C4 fairy hangouts, in the bathroom, under the sink, next to a VS nightclub...

The reason I say for Harassers use AV, is with my time running with Sprhawkxx and Assault9, the harasser is easily the most mobile ground weapons platform in the game, and is very low-resource. It's a very good tool for deploying turrets on hills and decimating enemy assets before disappearing like a millionaire on tax day. For tanks, where getting out of Dodge isn't so simple, setting up and abandoning an AV nest is not such a good idea.

Last thing: I should be getting my voice back next week, I closed on my new house and am moving the beginning of next week, so I can properly troll [MENTION=56436]ghostshooter101[/MENTION].
                      MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post
                        I'm holding off on getting mine. It seems like they will be getting a buff soon(ish)
                        Thats what they said about the valk... STILL NO BUFF AND IM REALLY UPSET

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMac View Post
                          Last thing: I should be getting my voice back next week, I closed on my new house and am moving the beginning of next week, so I can properly troll [MENTION=56436]ghostshooter101[/MENTION].

Oh, I had muted you awhile back. I didn't realize you didn't have a mic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X