Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valkyrie Tactics

Hey guys,

I didn't see any kind of thread for discussing the valkyrie and associated tactics, so I thought I would start one. The first things to note are the characteristics, good and bad, that have to be kept in mind for any tactic that employs the valkyrie:

Pros:
    1) Extremely low cost at only 250 nanites.
    2) Speed somewhere between a lib and an ESF.
    3) Squad support is cheap on certs, and allows gal-like spawn-and-drop support (in my opinion the only worthwhile piece of gear for that slot).
    4) If one bails from ceiling altitude, the valk will survive the crash with about half health (though you likely won't, see below).

Cons:
    1) Paper thin armor, barely better than an ESF.
    2) Chin gun is not particularly useful, especially considering how little the aircraft can loiter due to it's low health.
    3) About a third of the time dropping passengers will die when they hit ground, even with squad support, and especially at ceiling altitude.

As far as tactics go, it's my preferred small weekday squad vehicle, as some of you guys have seen. I personally have three main methodologies of employment for them; small unit base cap support, transport for a mid-long range anti armor section, or for what I call advanced preparation of the environment.

Small Unit Support

Probably the most familiar and straightforward of the tactics I'm listing. A squad or element of 5 people equipped for point holding plus a valkyrie pilot with squad support. The valkyrie pilot drops the infantry as close to the point of a single cap base as possible. Typically the squad leader will be a light assault, and his first priority will be to set up a beacon for secondary spawns up high and out of sight. The rest of the squad will collapse onto the point and set up shop. The valkyrie pilot will either find a safe place to land or orbit the area at about a 1km offset to increase survivability until needed to drop off squad members, as the valkyrie is the squad's primary spawn. The spawn PACE plan look like this:

Primary:
    Medic (2x in squad minimum)

Alternate:
    Valkyrie

Contingency:
    Beacon

Emergency:
    Squad member pulls another valkyrie from the nearest base

Naturally this tactic is only feasible on lightly defended bases off the beaten path to divert the enemy off the main zerg, or as a method of rapidly getting a squad forward staged at the next base while the zerg is capping the previous one, to immediately force the enemy to retreat to resecure once it flips, and allow the friendly zerg to advance. In practice, a small squad running around capping like this can pull multi squad sized enemy elements away from the main battle, which makes it a very effective force multiplier. This also lends itself well to a QRF/aggressive resecure role. This tactic could be scaled up to two valkyrie teams for a full squad, with one on the point and one taking advantage of the air mobility to put infantry on elevated overwatch positions.

Air Mobile Anti Armor Section

Another fairly straightforward technique. A squad (or section from a larger squad) of 6 equips for long range anti armor engagement (wardens, 2x AV MANAs, and 2x ground lockons, with one medic). The section leader needs to know the terrain well and do an in depth analysis to find an elevated firing point for the section with a good line of sight to enemy armor. This works particularly well on Indar. The squad leader will designate the drop point based on his analysis, and the valkyrie pilot will drop the squad there and pull off. Once the area has been determined safe and a suitable nearby LZ has been designated, the pilot will circle back, land and join the rest of the section to engage armor. When the position is no longer advantageous, the section will load up in the valkyrie and advance to another position. The PACE plan in this case looks like this:

P
    Medic

A
    Spawn beacon

C
    Squad member jumps into the valkyrie to allow a respawn

E
    Nearest friendly sunderer

This technique is useful for large armor battles, or it can be used to engage specific strategic assets (ie sunderers) because it is so light and quick to position. This technique theoretically scales well for a full squad or even a platoon, with the other half of the squad running a second adjacent anti armor section, armor, or CAS.

Advanced Preparation of the Environment

I borrowed this term from elsewhere, but it seemed fitting. This would be a very small element either from a larger squad (or platoon), or alone. At a minimum it would require a pilot and one infiltrator (ideally running stalker cloak). Any additional members would be either infiltrator or engineer with AP or AV mines. The idea here is for the pilot to drop the element at either a multipoint base that nobody feels like struggling for at the moment (as often happens in the daytime hours), or a base that will have lattice shortly. The element's goal is to soften the area for follow-on assault via sabotage, mining, hacking, and generally running amok. The most important part of this technique is pulling and emplacing multiple sunderers before anybody touches the point(s). At this point an infantry assault element (and/or hordes of blueberries) can deploy directly to the sunderers and take the base. I'm not sure if this crosses the line of cheesiness and taking advantage of the redeployment meta that I've seen discussed elsewhere here, but I figured it would merit some discussion.

These tactics revolve around avoiding the bulk of the enemy force, as a valkyrie simply cannot be employed in a direct combat role. They also take great advantage of the speed and cost effectiveness of the valkyrie.
    Kardandt - Planetside 2
    Doing more, with less!
    Asus K53E Laptop: I5 2450M, 8GB RAM ("Found in the trash" edition), Intel HD Graphics 3000, Logitech Trackman Marble, Tethered Sprint LTE connection

Re: Valkyrie Tactics

Some good thoughts!
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

C4, mines drop on armor or heavy concentrated infantry

All types of rocket fire from it.

Did this with my prev. Out. we called it eggs in a basket :) highly effective if well coordinated, good approach is the key (flank, use terrain).

Edit: don't drop do everything wile still in the Valkyrie so its not a suicide mission.
      Last edited by -MIK-; 02-13-2015, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I've seen it used against us in this capacity as a Sunderer killer. We were holding the ridge north of Crimson bluff against a major enemy force, and in the course of locking the hill down I'd ordered one of the squads to pull multiple staggered backup Sunderers. A small squad of players would fly a Valkyrie, bail behind our lines on the Sunderer, and pop it with C4 before we could knock all of them down. They never lasted long afterwards, but they could keep pulling fresh Valkyries indefinitely, and so this was a serious threat to our position. I had to have a fair amount of AA pulled to counter this, as a single burster MAX could never kill the Valkyrie before the drop happened.

Now, this is obviously not something we could use directly given that it's blatantly a suicide tactic, but maybe we could land on adjacent terrain and engage it in a more sustainable fashion, and maybe bring more troops to the party to try and make it something we could sustain behind enemy lines.

Comment

I would like to just point out that the Valkyrie is well suited for nap of the earth flying and also for consealment using the ground. It is hard to hide a Galaxy, but a Valkyrie is not that hard. Plus the you call can have fun when you go back to the Valkyrie saying: “Get to the chopper!”

Very nice points and glad to see someone finding the niche for the Valkyrie.
          "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewDaManiac View Post
            It is hard to hide a Galaxy
            Pshhhhhhht!
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
              Pshhhhhhht!
              I was talking about landing in a valley or tree and leaving it for a while. Your skywhale woudn't have the same effectiveness. Especially if you wanted to pull out without the enemy knowing you left.
              "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

-Im sorry randy but I agree with Mathew. Alot of times the Valkyrie is just easier to hide than a galaxy, thats not to say a gal is impossible to hide but the smaller frame of the aircraft means the aircraft can fit into smaller spaces and can be hidden a little better. a few thoughts as well

-KEEP THE VALK LOW TO THE GROUND. I cannot stress this enough. Medium and high altitude will get you engaged by esfs and libs witch although you may be able to take on one esf you will not be able to take on 2 or 3 and you will most definatley die to a somewhat skilled lib pilot.

-I have found another use for it as well. During armour squads the valk can serve as an effective enemy armour asset spotter. The idea being that a valk will fly around and flank for spotting enemy armour that may be difficult to get a bead on due to the general flattened design of tanks that may be hiding behind rocks and what not. This works especially well if said friendly armour squad can create a flak bubble for you with a skyguard or two. It really only takes one (With the option for a gunner)

-Unfortunately using it in combat is a difficult task, but I love the aircraft (Witch is why I'm urgently awaiting the devs to buff it.) hopefully the company switch doesn't alter this.

-I have been successful if I have a gunner dog fighting an esf a couple of times before but if im taking on two at a time well than your dead pretty fast.

Comment

Wanted to revisit this thread with an idea I had a while ago that just became a lot more relevant with the new update. We've previously discussed dropping tank mines from valkyries as a way to rapidly set up a minefield, but with the new update tank mines just became a deadly anti-infantry weapon as well, provided there are MAXes to trigger them. With the comparatively large trigger and blast radius in addition to the high damage they deal, a valkyrie with two engies with tank mines could make a significant dent in a hostile bio lab pad, with only a very short loiter time per pass at mid-high altitude (provided there's a sharp pilot). As compared to a lib, this allows several players to share the resource cost, as well as being much more accurate and persistent even if you do miss.

In the limited solo testing I was able to do in VR, there doesn't appear to be a ceiling where mines won't make it all the way to the ground, and they don't seem to inherit momentum from the aircraft. If anything, they landed too close together to be as effective as possible, which can easily be fixed by the pilot. Mines do instantly trigger when dropped by a MAX without any movement required. I'd like to attempt this some time, although with limited playtime of late I'd love for somebody else to try this and let me know how effective it is at a big bio lab fight.

Provided this is as effective as I believe it will be, is there any reason it would not be a legitimate strategy? I realize it may be a bit cheesy, but I prefer to think it's creativity within the confines of the game engine.
                  Kardandt - Planetside 2
                  Doing more, with less!
                  Asus K53E Laptop: I5 2450M, 8GB RAM ("Found in the trash" edition), Intel HD Graphics 3000, Logitech Trackman Marble, Tethered Sprint LTE connection

Comment

Smaller size of valk allows for easier pickups from interior of bases.
                    Therefore where there is little to no resistance/AA, valk could be used for quick micro movements. This could be helpful in bases that have widely spread out points, or natural terrain obstacles for infantry. I cannot recall the names, but there are at least 2 bases with a central valley in the middle of the base which has a road on it, with points on either side of that valley. In fantry troops have to take bridges across the valley, or take long winding foot paths up each side.
                    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

What do people recommend for the defense slot on the Valkyrie: Composite, Auto-repair, or Stealth?
                      sigpic

Comment

St. Jude medallion!
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A Valkyrie is not an Empire Specific vehicule. Thus, it is less of a potential threat to someone's ears. One has two options, then, apart from ignoring it. 1- Go for the minimap check and 2- spotting.

Stealth prevent automatic appearance on the minimap and mitigates the spotting. That gives quite often more than enough time to maneuver into cover and spring to perform a proper drop, allowing for the other slot to use something else (Scout Radar, which gives the proper tools for a small force to punch way over its own weigh, as an example) than the spawn logistic to soften the drop.

That is why I often choose Stealth.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                            St. Jude medallion!
                            Oh, so you've ridden with me before!
                            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse