This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bite Sized Squad Leadership: Keeping The Squad Together

This is another video designed to help new players learn how to squad lead.

This lesson covers why you should keep your squad together, and how to keep everyone together.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: Bite Sized Squad Leadership: Keeping The Squad Together

Nice video's...Keeping Squad together has parts from the epic smoke push.....good memories.

Comment

Excellent video Garthra!

I cannot emphasize enough just how important squad cohesion is. It's the basis upon which everything else happens; in regular play it'll concentrate your force and make your support elements as effective as possible, which is important to maximizing our effectiveness, but it also makes it possible to maneuver as a group and capitalize on opportunities as they arise.

As an example: say you've spotted an enemy squad on a hill fighting an ally in a different direction. You have a prime opportunity to flank and destroy their squad by charging the hill, especially if they haven't noticed you.

If your squad is already cohesive, executing on the opportunity is simple. Your squad is already there, and can move directly and immediately on the target. By moving all at once, you minimize the amount of time your squad is exposed during the movement, and eliminate the risk of getting cut off or separated. By arriving at the same time on target, you apply the maximum amount of force in the shortest amount of time, exponentially increasing the amount of chaos and damage applied to the enemy and maximizing your chance of destroying them in one stroke.

If your squad is scattered across your current AO, then you've got an ugly choice to make:

If you wait for your squad to regroup, you could be waiting a great deal of time for everyone to arrive (if you're sufficiently scattered or cut off, it might even be impossible). In that time, the situation might change. The enemy might move, turn their fire on you, reinforcements may have arrived for them, or you might have needed to move elsewhere. Any number of complicating factors might have arisen to cause that opportunity to have been completely missed.

If you instead charge with whoever is close at hand, you've now got a very different risk; instead of having to worry about the opportunity slipping away, you now need to worry about being unable to capitalize on it. With less troops available, the charge is more likely to fail. Even if all of your troops eventually get there, being strung out will increase the amount of time that someone will be able to fire on troops exposed during movement, and arriving piecemeal gives the enemy time to defeat the smaller force that's already arrived and prepare for the rest.

Without squad cohesion, you're forced to chose between speed and power, either passing up opportunities and not having the force on hand to properly execute upon them. At its extremes, a loss of cohesion can stop you from being able to take ANY coordinated action at all!

With squad cohesion, you get the best of both worlds. And if the orders change midway through because the situation has changed, squad cohesion will again allow you to make that change quickly and decisively.

Comment

Hey Im in another video! I was the point max in the beginning, so thats what I sound like from someone else s perspective
        -back to the main point of the video I agree with pretty much everything said, I hope this gets some more people to take on SL. Often times I'll remain silent till the last second to see if anyone else wants to try out the role before volunteering.
        -Also another video idea is sort of the tactical decision making aspect to squad play. -what classes to ask for, -how to choose places to move too, deciding weather or not to gal drop or use a sundy as placement.
        -

Comment

I'm liking these videos, thanks Garthra.

One suggestion for editing, would it be possible to turn down the gameplay clip volume whenever you're speaking and turn it back up for examples? Otherwise the chat and commentary mix.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Jengles, good point. My trouble with that is that I am not a skilled enough editor to turn up and down audio on a second by second basis. So if I want the in game audio to be useful as examples I have to leave the in game recording sound up, and then just put the narration a bit louder. If you know how to turn up and down sound volume of different sounds in an editor lets talk and maybe I can learn something.
            The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Originally posted by Garthra View Post
              Jengles, good point. My trouble with that is that I am not a skilled enough editor to turn up and down audio on a second by second basis. So if I want the in game audio to be useful as examples I have to leave the in game recording sound up, and then just put the narration a bit louder. If you know how to turn up and down sound volume of different sounds in an editor lets talk and maybe I can learn something.
              I'm not very knowledgeable at that stuff either, so I don't know any efficient ways.

But your clips are quite short with only a couple examples, so I was thinking of the general approach of quietening the whole gameplay, then splitting the clip into the segments you want to hear and raising their volume back specifically. That should work as long as your voice over and in-game clip are on different tracks.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

If you check out Wrel's channel on PS2 he has a video about making your sound better when making videos. Great job though anyway.
                "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Here is a link.

Better Audio Quality (YouTube Proper Series) - PlanetSide 2 Gameplay - YouTube
                  "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X