Militia/Pubbie/Recruitment squads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Militia/Pubbie/Recruitment squads

I've recently been experimenting with what I call "pickup" squads. Essentially, I just go around playing as I usually would, but along the way, I invite every blue I can to join my squad. As you might imagine, all the problems you might expect from randoms abound, but on the whole I've found most players are willing to join a squad and be led. Just as most players respond to a charge or push encouragement in proxy chat, so too do they respond to anyone with a semblance of authority.

Now, I might be getting a little to metaphorical, but I imagine the flow of population across Auraxis as though it were a body of water. It ebbs and flows along paths of least resistance in predictable patterns. Most of us know this mass body of water/population as, the zerg, the blueberries, and frankly PHX. What I've been attempting with my active use of squad invite is to harness some portion of this mindless zerg and point it in a direction or supply it with information that would make it more effective than it already is.

For example, how many times have we seen a mass armor column zerg out of a base with no skygaurds or air cover? It's not that none of those players have the needed skills or assets, it is that they are not actively thinking for themselves. They are just following the herd, the zerg. TG on the other hand is a haven for active thinkers who enjoy following well thought out orders as much as giving them... well maybe not all of us, but certainly to a larger degree than many!

In my brief time with TG so far, I've found that most of the times we were met with defeat was simply because even though we stood strong against superior numbers, eventually those numbers overcame us as the inevitable ebb and flow of Auraxis turned against us. This is a vulnerability in our strategies, not our tactics. My short time at Tactical Gamer has shown me that we live up to the name. Our tactics truly allow us to fight above our weight class. What I hope to do with further experimentation and implementation of rag tag pubby militia squads is to allow us to rise up in weight class and still "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee" so to speak. If sacrificing one of our less leadership experienced members to lead a militia squad gains us 11 noobs to throw at the enemy's spawn room, I think that is a worthwhile trade. It is the old saying of "Sheep led by a lion" in practice. This could also provide a much less demanding opportunity for TG members to become comfortable with leading.

My final point on this post is to highlight that this sort of approach to squad organization could drastically increase recruitment potential as well. As long as we maintain our proper screening and recruitment measures, I think we can help many other tactical gamers find the home on Auraxis that they have been looking for.

Still, these are all just Ideas. I'm still too new to know if this is something the rest of you resonate with or how it might be implemented in the more official channels of TG. I'm just a new and enthusiastic TG member sharing his ideas in the hopes of improving our gaming experience...which is to say...WINNING MORE!!! ;)

Re: Militia/Pubbie/Recruitment squads

Running 100% pubbie squad with the TG name on it is dicey. We've got a reputation to maintain that we can't afford to dilute... and a pubbie squad is so far gone from a disciplined TG squad. It's also a really bad place to put an inexperience SL... getting ANYTHING out of a squad full of pubbies requires really solid leadership, and a fair amount of stress besides!

If you want to continue to experiment with a "militia" approach, you are more than welcome to it; I'm interested to hear what kind of results you get! My only request there is to make sure those squads don't have TacticalGamer in the name and aren't sporting the TG tag, because a squad like that will be utterly unruly at the best of times and will represent us very poorly.

That said, running with a large pubbie presence IS very much a TG thing! Planetside is a weird case, but in other games TG usually just hosts a public server, and use of the TG tag is 100% open to anyone as long as you're willing to accept that wearing it means you'll be held to a higher standard. How that translates to Planetside is that, while we restrict outfit membership to invites, albiet with a pretty lax recruitment policy, we happily accept unaffiliated players or members of other outfits into our squads. Indeed, this is how we get any recruits in the first place!

Now, we don't always run open squads. Really, I can understand the reluctance; running a full TG squad is a wonderful experience, and open squads, while sometimes attracting quality players, can be a real chore to deal with, especially as that proportion goes above 50-70% of the squad. However, so long as the leadership is solid and there's enough TG regulars in there to set a good example it's a good way to swell our numbers without sacrificing too much of the discipline and cohesion that makes us effective, and also introduce new people to our style of play and maybe get some recruits out of it!

We're running open squads more often these days, and the results are showing; we're running full platoons again (woohoo!) and recruitment has picked up.

I don't like the mass invite approach, personally. My preference is to run open squads with the "private" flag checked and to let everyone join manually, through the recruitment screen. This ensures that all of them have CHOSEN to be in a TG squad rather than being randomly assigned, so there's a higher expectation that they'll be prepared to work as a team.

Corralling the zerg is an interesting topic in and of itself, and it's something that's worth a lot of thought and effort! Really, as you point out, the flow of population is pretty predictable, and even within a fight there's a pretty predictable flow of fight seeking, cert seeking, and objective seeking behaviour. My own approach to this has been to let the zerg do the direct and obvious thing, which you can usually count on it to do with reliability, and instead focus on covering the things the zerg doesn't have the foresight or organization to cover. In the example of the armour column you mention, we can pull the AA while the zerg blunders forth! An approach I'm fond of is to find an important flank of the battle and own it, preventing the main force from getting attacked and putting the enemy in a crossfire while drawing their attention away from the front line.

Comment

Manipulating the Zerg is a big thing. But like you said it is like water, which while not impossible to move, can be a hard task. While running a full public squad sounds okay, it is harder than if at first seams. But lest step back and see what we need to do with this squad. After all it is just to add to the numbers of our force if I'm not mistaken. So that means that they don't really need all that much discipline. They just need to be attacking the same base that we are. Anything much more that that and you are talking spending way to much time sifting through the masses of players looking for ones that are more disciplined. Now as far as I can see getting people to attack the same base as you is not super hard. Sure you will spend several minutes weeding through players but this task should not be that hard. But if only that was all. You see blueberries have strange attributes and I will use water as a example. Just like water, when something pushes it, like a car driving into a pond, it at first gives small resistance. In fact the water will be pushed away form the car by its momentum, but than its surges back from where it came. Okay, so maybe bad example but you get the point, and if you didn't here it is. The blueberries have a hard time defending unless there is a big wave of them there. Just like water, they push back in waves and have a hard time standing there ground. So while getting them to attack a base is relatively easy, getting them to stay at a fight or defend a base is much harder. But again not impossible.

Buts lest say for example that we have three full TG squads and need a little more help at a certain base. Someone bravely volunteers to risk there life and mental sanity to try and recruit a public militia squad. After say, ten minutes he comes back with six people and maybe more on the way. First problem is solved (getting the blueberries) and now comes the second. There needs to be some place for the blueberries to spawn. It can't be to far away from the base. Or at lest in need to provide good targets or a TG squad to help the blueberries find there way. If all these issues can be crossed, I can see this becoming a good strategy. (Or is it a tactic?) but this is just hypothetical and will need to be tested.

Another good way to use the force of a Zerg is to direct it with spawns. After all they are not the best at keeping their own so we might as well use that to our advantage?
      [MENTION=16189]starstriker1[/MENTION] if you found my sarcasm to be too condescending try reading my post in a slightly high voice as though you where a teacher teaching something to a small child. Okay, so now I'm having a hard time typing because I'm laughing so hard at the thought of you reading like that. And the fact that I'm on a IPad doesn't help. Anyway, I'm sorry and I hope that no one is affected by the word blueberry and what it implies. I just get a kick out of how the normal players play and I like keeping my post light hearted. Oh gosh, I though of [MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION] using one of is voices that he used in the video. I'm not trying to make fun of you guys, it just to funny
      Last edited by MatthewDaManiac; 01-18-2015, 05:33 AM.
      "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

-My last few times leading squads has been with pubbies, (This is my preferred term as it sounds like puppies and I like puppies!)...
        -Back to the point, unless you have at least 3 to 4 people following your orders from the getco your gonna have a bad day. Forming organization, even loose organization can sometimes feel impossible.
        If the supposed "Militia" squad were to be running I highly suggest transferring two too three active tg members to the squad.
        -The reason for this is that humans naturally tend to fall in line with what others are doing, even if its only a few people. I believe its referred to in Psychology as the Herd Mentality. Nonetheless it doesnt take mutch but its nesscecary to have any form of organization in said squad
        -Also Mathews point about your mental sanity... SO TRUE XD

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewDaManiac View Post
          Another good way to use the force of a Zerg is to direct it with spawns. After all they are not the best at keeping their own so we might as well use that to our advantage?
          [MENTION=16189]starstriker1[/MENTION] if you found my sarcasm to be too condescending try reading my post in a slightly high voice as though you where a teacher teaching something to a small child. Okay, so now I'm having a hard time typing because I'm laughing so hard at the thought of you reading like that. And the fact that I'm on a IPad doesn't help. Anyway, I'm sorry and I hope that no one is affected by the word blueberry and what it implies. I just get a kick out of how the normal players play and I like keeping my post light hearted. Oh gosh, I though of [MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION] using one of is voices that he used in the video. I'm not trying to make fun of you guys, it just to funny
          I am very confused by this paragraph. What sarcasm?

Comment

Its okay. I'm not sure what sarcasm I was talking about. Other than I compared normal players to water and called them blueberries. I guess I ment to say, I was having a little fun in my descriptions. I think I might be suffering from the heat a little bit over here. That or I spent to long trying to think how pubbies think. Lol, that is like puppies.

If nothing affended nobody, than we are good. Best double negative line ever. Okay, I think I need to go to bed. My stomach hurts from Laughing so hard.
            "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

Matt, I think you might be a crazy person.

Godspeed you mad bastard! ;)

Comment

In SOF, they call a mission like this to train, advise, and assist a larger poorly trained/equipped force Irregular Warfare or Unconventional Warfare.

When working with pubbies, targeting low BR or new players tends to catch better team players. While people are new, they're much more willing to put ego aside and accept guidance, and are just grateful to know where to go. I'd take a low BR player with a mic and helpful attitude over the biggest baddest K/D over 9000 BR110 player that just wants to farm.

If we were to list a squad like this as "TacticalGamer.com Irregular Warfare (New Players Welcome)" we could probably pick up a lot of people, and with active kicking of the lone wolves and non team players, could keep fresh players cycling in until it's a functional squad. Ideally we'd staff a squad like this with an experienced squad leader and one or two players that are willing to provide individual instruction on game mechanics and rudimentary tactics.

In the end, this not only is capable of netting a functional squad from nothing, but is also a public service to Emerald NC in training new players, and the game as a whole in giving new players a better starting experience.
                Kardandt - Planetside 2
                Doing more, with less!
                Asus K53E Laptop: I5 2450M, 8GB RAM ("Found in the trash" edition), Intel HD Graphics 3000, Logitech Trackman Marble, Tethered Sprint LTE connection

Comment

That's a really interesting perspective, Fracsid. I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

My big question here would be "how is this different from a regular open TG squad?" Open squads often end up in exactly the sort of heavy non-TG mix you describe. Indeed, over the course of the night, a squad can go from TG only to only one or two members as people sign off. That transition is important to keep track of from a SL/PL perspective, as you usually need to dial down your expectations and demands accordingly.

Comment

Oh, no worries. I haven't been running them as TG squads. I make it very clear that I just happen to be in TG, but that the squad is not an official TG squad.

I agree with your point about TG being well suited to filling the the gaps where more organization and complex tasks are required, but it certainly cant hurt to have those same zerg in a platoon together. Frankly, any organization of the zerg would be benificial, even if it is just setting WP. Perhaps rather than devoting a squad out of our official TG platoon to militia, or attempting to modify the way we already do things, a better way to try this idea out would be to have someone run an unnoficial "proxy" platoon and employ the mass invites, then coordinate and communicate as needed over TS, or perhaps command channel, though i think TS would certainly have fewer bossy people arguing.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                      That's a really interesting perspective, Fracsid. I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

My big question here would be "how is this different from a regular open TG squad?" Open squads often end up in exactly the sort of heavy non-TG mix you describe. Indeed, over the course of the night, a squad can go from TG only to only one or two members as people sign off. That transition is important to keep track of from a SL/PL perspective, as you usually need to dial down your expectations and demands accordingly.
                      An Idea on how it could be different is simple training between ops, mabey not something as complex as for instance a room breach, but perhaps more like telling them about weapon status: RED YELLOW or GREEN, Or perhaps how to traverse an open field and what following a point man means, also holding a room might be good as well, little pieces between ops to get them accustomed to how we do things. I they like it then there's your recruit too the outfit options.

Comment

Originally posted by Fracsid View Post
                        In SOF, they call a mission like this to train, advise, and assist a larger poorly trained/equipped force Irregular Warfare or Unconventional Warfare.

When working with pubbies, targeting low BR or new players tends to catch better team players. While people are new, they're much more willing to put ego aside and accept guidance, and are just grateful to know where to go. I'd take a low BR player with a mic and helpful attitude over the biggest baddest K/D over 9000 BR110 player that just wants to farm.

If we were to list a squad like this as "TacticalGamer.com Irregular Warfare (New Players Welcome)" we could probably pick up a lot of people, and with active kicking of the lone wolves and non team players, could keep fresh players cycling in until it's a functional squad. Ideally we'd staff a squad like this with an experienced squad leader and one or two players that are willing to provide individual instruction on game mechanics and rudimentary tactics.

In the end, this not only is capable of netting a functional squad from nothing, but is also a public service to Emerald NC in training new players, and the game as a whole in giving new players a better starting experience.
                        This guy, he gets it.

That's basically what I used to do.

And I've recruited *a few* people to the outfit.
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In the same way that a lake has "a little" water in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fracsid View Post

This is exactly what I had in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                              This guy, he gets it.

That's basically what I used to do.

And I've recruited *a few* people to the outfit.
                              Just one or two, right Randy?

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X