Using smoke grenades on enemy armor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using smoke grenades on enemy armor

Hey everyone, as I get familiar with the intricacies of this game, I picked up the gauss s on medic as well as the smoke grenades. Unfortunately I have no idea how to use one effectively, and I guess that will come with practice. Anyways, I was thinking, if we are attacking or defending as infantry and fighting an enemy armor column and get ambushed by a sneaky tank from the back, is it a good idea to shoot a smoke at it to blind/disorient it from mowing down our squad? I'd like to also get any other advice to how to use smoke properly, if you have anything to share. Thanks in advance!

Re: Using smoke grenades on enemy armor

Generally speaking I'd advise deploying smoke on SL orders, just because of how much of a change it can make of the tactical situation. Make sure they know you have it available, so they know it's an option! Smoke can harm the squad sometimes if deployed at the wrong time or place, as it blocks your line of sight just as much as the enemies.

That said: smoke might be tough to use in the ambush situation you describe. Vehicles are fast, so they can quickly maneuver around or through the smoke cloud to get a clear shot, and if they're kitted out for an anti-infantry role they very well might have IR sights that'll render the smoke completely useless. It might be a nice last resort to buy a little time by dropping a smoke grenade on top of them, but it's a tough situation to employ it in.

My experience with smoke is that it's very difficult to use defensively, and often harms more than it helps. However, it's extremely useful offensively. A wall of smoke can make crossing open ground easy, and smoking an enemy position makes it easier to charge it and drastically reduces the effectiveness of an enemy position.

Comment

-quick tip smoking a sundy when your making a light assault c-4 run greatly increases survive ability.

Comment

Last time I dropped smoke on an enemy tank, another member of the team dropped some mines mine behind it, the smoke covered the team members entry and exit point.
        I lined up my engineer turret, as a juicy target, and the tank reversed over the mines to get a clear shot at me....(BOOOM!)

The tank did not make the shot and we both continued on our way.

Dropping smoke on a enemy MAX(squad) who are moving from one place to another (not shooting) will course them issues as they cannot see where they are going, friendlies can hit spot key to find the each MAX and shoot, while the MAX has no idea which direction the smoke or the squad are. Implant counter intelligence may hinder this but still courses the MAX to hold down or run into something.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
          Last time I dropped smoke on an enemy tank, another member of the team dropped some mines mine behind it

sorry couldn't help myself

Comment

Perhaps not mine, but his mines :P

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post

sorry couldn't help myself
              "Mine, mine, mine" TG style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7il_HKaotVw

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
                Dropping smoke on a enemy MAX(squad) who are moving from one place to another (not shooting) will course them issues as they cannot see where they are going, friendlies can hit spot key to find the each MAX and shoot, while the MAX has no idea which direction the smoke or the squad are. Implant counter intelligence may hinder this but still courses the MAX to hold down or run into something.
                I feel like this tactic could cause more harm than good sometimes due to effectively supplying cover for the enemy max squad.

Comment

You can still Q spot them, as you know where they are.
                  They can still q spot you, but have to Q spot every direction to first find you.
                  Most of my guns have IR and many of the squads on CQC use IR as well.

MAXes cannot use IR and smoke either slows down their movement(walking into things) or they stop to Q stop, in which time the squad has already unloaded one clip on them.

A good area to used this is:

A group of maxes down hill of the squad are q spotted and unaware or our presence.
                  We Q stop them, then smoke them
                  As soon as the smoke lands we all shoot, then Q stop the next one and start again.

Again we are over watching a rat run from spawn to cap point
                  See the MAxes running out of spawn to the cap point and do the same as above.

A bad time to do this is:
                  Big fights with pubbies
                  When we have a few MAXes
                  When defending a small area (point room)

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

The other day I tried out using smoke. We were defending our sundie from a small TR zerg heading our way. I had everyone switch to NV/IR and had 2 engies provide smoke cover on us and drop it on them while we hid behind a hill. As soon as the TR were in sight I gave the call and we opened up on them. After clearing out the first wave I asked the engies to provide smoke cover ahead of us while we went on the offensive. Since we were better equipped then the TR we were able to mow them down in large numbers and recover all the ground we had lost also the maxes were able to shoot through the smoke since we were q spotting and the medics didn't have to worry about being targeted.

Much fun was had that day

Comment

-a note on how I prefer to use smoke is when crossing open terrain. Popping smoke then will give us a screen to keep us out of lOS

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post
                        The other day I tried out using smoke. We were defending our sundie from a small TR zerg heading our way. I had everyone switch to NV/IR and had 2 engies provide smoke cover on us and drop it on them while we hid behind a hill. As soon as the TR were in sight I gave the call and we opened up on them. After clearing out the first wave I asked the engies to provide smoke cover ahead of us while we went on the offensive. Since we were better equipped then the TR we were able to mow them down in large numbers and recover all the ground we had lost also the maxes were able to shoot through the smoke since we were q spotting and the medics didn't have to worry about being targeted.

Much fun was had that day
                        Yeah that was awesome man. Great call ghost!
                        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X