No announcement yet.

Small Infantry Squad Tactics

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Infantry Squad Tactics

MagnusRed here,
    So over the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about ways to create and run a small infantry squad. Typically TG runs armor or air squads when we don't have enough members for a full squad. I'm a huge fan of wielding the zephyr on a lib or a halberd on armor, but my heart will always be with the infantry.

Last night, I was fortunate enough to have some members experiment my ideas with me. TOF1501(who unfortunately had to leave soon after we started), Fujitsu, Keepsharp, and Raymondscout were in the squad and I think after ironing out exactly what our goals were, we became a very effective team. I have a million and one things to say about how awesome last night was, but I will make a list of a couple major tactics/ideas we used to make us effective as a small team of 4:

1) Stealth - Reading starstriker1's thread on infantry stealth in combat gave me a lot of ideas to use last night. Two major ideas here:

First, suppressed weapons. As a small team trying to capture a region, you do not want enemies to see your position. I think it was Raymondscout who mentioned that our eyes see movement first, I believe that thought can extend to the bright red flashes we see on our mini-map. About 90% or more of the defenders we encounter will be individuals with no organized grouping. That means they're just looking for a fight and will move to the location of the red dots. Remove red dots from the mini-map and they will most likely move toward the captured point, which plays into another idea I'll explain later.

Second, air drops. Air drops are cool, very cool. They are a great way to get where you need to be fast, but they are not steathy. The quietest way to move around in this game is on foot. So, my recommendation is(depending on squad size) riding in a valkyrie and landing out of sight on a rarely used path at least 100m away. . That way the squad can land and appropiately assess the base layout and finalize a plan before moving in.

2) Overwatch - This is the concept of having someone(normally a infil/sniper)behind the front lines, high up as a spotter and silent death from afar. This person is ideally place at a point where they have good line of sight from the enemy spawn position and the capture point. The main job of overwatch is to call out and Q-spot any incoming enemies. Secondary functions are to kill easy targets and, if appropriate, keep watch over the valkyrie. I believe this role worked very well for us and would even recommend it in any full sized squad/platoon.

3) Misdirection - This concept I've learned playing a certain tabletop sci-fi battle game, is about pull the enemey away from where you don't want them to be. Many individuals in PS2 care moer about killing something than they care about re-taking a point. Know this gives us a HUGE advantage. When capturing a point, our team kept one lonely soldier on the point(RaymondScout as an SMG wielding infiltrator) we had our overwatch finding targets, then we would put another man somewhere away from the point. This soldier would be the first to fire on targets and get their attention. I think this tactic was very effective and I believe it's very transferable to large squad and platoon sized combat.

4) Communication - None of this works if no one is communicating. 3 of us were using our mics frequently and I don't understand how Raymondscout was able to type as much as he did and still kill people. This idea is a pretty standard on, but I feel it was worth mentioning that our team did a great job with this.

5) Prudence - Knowing when something is not working and being willing to listen to ideas. The former part of that statement is rather obvious, but it matters even more so with such a small squad. A squad of 2 infils, a medic, and a heavy can't take a punch like a full squad, so just know when it's time to fall back and find a more effect place to fight. The latter is easy in a small squad, not quite so in a full squad. Just remember that one person will never get the entire perspective on a situation, so someone else's idea may work better than yours.

Thanks for reading my wall of text and please reply with your thoughts and/or questions. I will be in game quite a bit this next week and would be happy to chat with anyone about this.
    Last edited by Quadro; 02-05-2015, 10:16 PM. Reason: Cleaning up the format a little.

Re: Small Infantry Squad Tactics

This is a neat topic. Scaling these elements up is something I'm obviously very interested in, since I'm most at home running a 12 man infantry squad, but for those late night ops or starter squads being able to operate at this size is important. Not to mention... if you CAN send a smaller squad to do a job that's a much better allocation of your force!

Two limitations loom large for a small squad: the amount of ground you have to cover, and just how brittle you are. Even if you're sticking together your group needs to be able to cover all the angles, and bunching everyone up for a static defense is risky because you don't have the strength in numbers to be able to resist the enemy if you've given them time to zero in on you. Mobility and fluidity is king, and a mistake can very easily sink the squad.

From what you describe, it looks like you did a good job stacking up your force multipliers to make the most of what you had. Your sense of the battlefield was great thanks to good overwatch and communication, the enemy's was awful thanks to your stealth and misdirection, and you were able to prudently apply those advantages by not picking fights you couldn't win.

Re: Small Infantry Squad Tactics

I think this is an example of what you are looking for

SUIT (Small unit infantry tactics)

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed