THE SPARTAN LINE? (MAX Crash Tactic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE SPARTAN LINE? (MAX Crash Tactic)

Taking From ancient Greece and Romes Tactics today is what was once known as the Phalanx Formation. Simply put it well something a bit like this... http://www.ancient.eu/uploads/images/2567.jpg
    The Idea being that soldiers moved as one almost "Wall Like shape" Torward the enemies during sieges with their shields and spears out in front of them. This allowed for them to have the ability to deflect arrows as well as keep people from getting to close to the formations with their spears. People to the back and middle of the Formation were the most protected sub for the arrow that might make a stab at them something that you dont have to worry about as much with planet side. Those with spears in the middle and backs were pointed upwards as well to ward off jumping attacks once they neared the siege location. a larger scale view of what this looked like can be found here. https://scottthong.files.wordpress.c...5/phalanx2.jpg

The question is... Could this be carried over to planetside, Or at least a modified version of it. Thankfully the NC is the only faction with with a shield that this could possible be used for on their maxes. Heres the Idea a squad attempting a max crash with 6 maxes all running the Aegis Shield Form up in a horizontal line shields up and push forwards essentially as a moving wall of cover. The Medics/engis and heavies in the back (6 worth) would focus on keeping the maxes up shooting the above threats (Mutch like the rear spearmen) and also shooting between the cracks in the maxes moving wall of cover. Of course There was problems with the Phalanx In real life witch might translate as well (It was vulnerable if one person went down AKA one max so, making sure the maxes aren't going down would be difficult. Also It was vulnerable to uneven terrain, causing the loss of formation as well witch made it vulnerable.
    -My thoughts for employment are under heavy engagements where it is difficult to push out of a small area. or an area where we must push through with very limited cover that would normally be a killing field
    -Also theirs a psychological element to this as well. Seeing six maxes all pushing together organized with their shields out would kind of be a terrifying sight to see on the battlefield. In fact actually Ive seen an example of this in a video from planet side once Here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clcbFOGhxMA at the 0:48 to 0:50 mark you can see What appears to be a version of what Im talking about its a very small clip. "The voices in the clip also say "Drop shields and Fire" Something we may want to think about using ourselves when the aegis shield is running low on its energy pool.

Of Course The tactic couldn't be used for vary long due to the Aegis shields limited ability to sustain fire. The Maxes would have to be monitoring how much shield power they had left.

So my question to you people is do you think we could pull it off, A strategy in a sci fi war game taken straight out of the History books? Thoughts and Comments below I really want to try this btw.
    Last edited by RaymondScout; 02-23-2015, 05:31 PM.

Re: THE SPARTAN LINE? (MAX Crash Tactic)

^_^

Note this is before they introduced harassers..
    Last edited by ghostshooter101; 02-23-2015, 05:53 PM. Reason: words

Comment

Ideally you shouldn't just be able to ram a max if in an ESF or Harrasser/Flash. But nanites!

Comment

Situationally this is a great tactic in my opinion. It should be used more often, but implemented like a S.W.A.T. team with one or two shields in the front, and support troops in the rear. Works best if the squad is all trained in their specific role when they crash.

Comment

Might be something worth working into a breach scenario, I know we've experimented with it. Main risk is that C4 is a real obvious thing to put down when you see a wall of Aegis shields advancing towards you.

Comment

Some points of interest.
            • If the Max is crouched, a soldier can fire over the Max's right shoulder. Also the Max with a shield up, is slowed down to about the speed of crouching so you might as well crouch.
            • When smoke is deployed on a Max with its shield up, all you see through the smoke is the shield. This would make it harder for people to target the people behind the Max.
            • When they use (I think it is INRV but not sure on the name) sight on their gun, the shields brightness whites out the Max and the person behind it.
            • (The next 2 points might be considered exploits) Through the "Power" of Nanites, Max's can walk through other Max's which allows the shield wall to advance through a doorway while another Max is standing there blocking incoming damage.
            • This "technology" allows us a create our own "shield wall" that people can walk through. This is an interesting idea, and something that could add to our normal "Breach". Or if you don't like the idea of people walking through other people, just put the Max in front of the doors on the in side the room.

If administration says, this is an exploit, I understand. But I feel obligated to say it has nothing to do with the game engine But rather game design. As if such a ruling where to be made on that point of the primer, it would not only be invalid but would imply Redeploying is an exploit. But as always, I will follow the rules.
            "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

"team with one or two shields in the front, and support troops in the rear. Works best if the squad is all trained in their specific role when they crash."
              -The problem I see with only two maxes is that if one go's down it provides very little cover for the rest of the squad to res said max and get things working again. On the other hand It would seem to provide a smaller likely hood of separation. A better alternative may be to have 3 maxes in front so that way they can close the gap a bit better to provide cover for resses. Honestly I think for a single squad a good number to shoot for would be 3 minimum and 6 maximum, Making the formation longer makes us less vulnerable from the sides but more vulnerable from the front meanwhile making it horizontally makes it less vulnerable to the front but more vulnerable to the sides, The reason for this is the enemies takes a fraction of a sec longer to switch between targets when there displayed in a horizontal formation, but when they are displayed to him in a a tight group from his perspective, very little target switching is required to effectively fire on the squad.

"If the Max is crouched, a soldier can fire over the Max's right shoulder. Also the Max with a shield up, is slowed down to about the speed of crouching so you might as well crouch."
              -Heres my reasoning for not crouching... The Goal of the shield is to provide cover for the friendly infantry behind you, Crouching effectively minimizes this cover because the shield turns sideways making the squad slightly more vulnerable. However I can see this being useful for locking down the room once we successfully have breached.

"ain risk is that C4 is a real obvious thing to put down when you see a wall of Aegis shields advancing towards you."
              Obviously it is, The Explosive seerer (Forget its name) implant should be equipped as well as flack amour on the maxes. Another part that cannot be underestimated in any way shape or form should be the (Rear Spearmen) Or the infantry in back making sure they are watching out for light assaults from above, witch will be the main C-4 threat...

-Obviously this tactic is situational, but it is situational in a situation we find ourselves in a lot, witch is room breaches and Advancing into what is a usually a hail of bullets... Witch is where it should be used for, Not general infantry play...

Comment

one of the main issues we ran into when trying this was that when the max has its shield up they have no idea if they are in formation or if the person next to them stopped. I remember we did this once with smoke. We popped smoke then the maxes walked through it with their shields ups. it actually freaked the VS players out and some retreated.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewDaManiac View Post
                  • (The next 2 points might be considered exploits) Through the "Power" of Nanites, Max's can walk through other Max's which allows the shield wall to advance through a doorway while another Max is standing there blocking incoming damage.
                  • This "technology" allows us a create our own "shield wall" that people can walk through. This is an interesting idea, and something that could add to our normal "Breach". Or if you don't like the idea of people walking through other people, just put the Max in front of the doors on the in side the room.

If administration says, this is an exploit, I understand. But I feel obligated to say it has nothing to do with the game engine But rather game design. As if such a ruling where to be made on that point of the primer, it would not only be invalid but would imply Redeploying is an exploit. But as always, I will follow the rules.
                  Obviously, Drona/Mindkill have the final say here, but I'd think that'd pretty clearly fall under exploit territory. The lack of collision is there to mitigate the frustration of managing collision between teammates in a networked FPS, NOT to give you a tactical advantage. It's certainly not realistic play. In my eyes it's a clear violation of the spirit AND letter of primer point 3.

Engine limitation versus "game design" is not a meaningful distinction here. Game design decisions are often made with the limitations of the technology in mind; in this case, hard collisions between team mates is untenable under MMO network conditions, the tight controls demanded of an FPS, and under the substantial performance requirements of a game of this size and scale. Collision between moving players requires very clever network design and more often than not can only have the obnoxiousness mitigated, not eliminated, and even if it weren't a concern close quarters hard collision between friendly players is really a pain in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                    It's certainly not realistic play. In my eyes it's a clear violation of the spirit AND letter of primer point 3.

Engine limitation versus "game design" is not a meaningful distinction here. Game design decisions are often made with the limitations of the technology in mind; in this case, hard collisions between team mates is untenable under MMO network conditions, the tight controls demanded of an FPS, and under the substantial performance requirements of a game of this size and scale.
                    I stand corrected. I was assuming that collisions where turned off because of avoiding trolls. Where as if it is a networking issue that is something totally different and falls into line with the primer.

With that in mind, is it still okay to run through other people as long as it's not a tactic? There are many times that I spawn in a room where I have to run through people just to get out. I try not to but a Very Few times it is needed. The other 90% of the time I avoid people.
                    "When attacking a stronger opponent, Attack swiftly and with full force at their weakest point— take them out before the can react, or Fall back and engage in guerrilla actions,” Spartan 117.

Comment

If it was about avoiding trolls (and that was probably a factor), it'd STILL be a primer issue; that the designers made a compromise to mitigate annoying player behaviour doesn't mean we should compromise our standards just because it allows a few exploits. At the end of the day, "walking through teammates" was not a design goal.

And yeah, running through people in regular play is fine, the behaviour is there because it's hard to avoid and it usually doesn't matter. Just don't exploit it for goofy stuff.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X