This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bite Sized Squad Leadership: Clear and Precise Orders

This lesson covers how to give orders that are clear and precise. Squad members cannot read your mind, so as squad leader you must be both clear and precise so that your squad members can achieve your goals. This video is a little longer than my earlier ones, so bring a snack if you need one.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: Bite Sized Squad Leadership: Clear and Precise Orders

[MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION] A very important topic to cover here. I absolutely fall foul of "move up the ridge" a lot of times as it can be hard to explain which one. I try to give compass directions or description when I can but if that fails, I generally hope players will follow the SL.

Not to discourage but I have a few criticisms:

When we talk about orders we tend to blend the terms clear and precise to the point it can be extremely difficult to explain them individually. Since this is for instructive purposes I feel I have to pick up on this. Your explanation for precision was great but it seemed to me the example for clarity - "which ridge did you mean?" - was yet another precision issue.

There are actually 3 things to consider:
    1. Clarity
    2. Accuracy
    3. Precision

Seeing as people tend to confuse accuracy and precision in every day conversations I expect we role those two into "precision" to try and simplify things. But all three need understanding to give proper orders.

Clarity is about being understood. So get a good mic, speak loud (and maybe slow) enough, don't mumble, don't monotone and don't spam voice chat with every little thing which may cause important details to get drowned out.

I find the best way to explain accuracy vs precision is to use the example of darts. Imagine someone who's pretty new to darts manages to hit the dart board every time, they are actually being 100% accurate because they are playing the game correctly. Their precision, on the other hand, is terrible and you can't ask them to hit certain numbers because they won't be able to.

Next let's say you take an expert darts player and asked them to hit the second dart board in the same place over and over. They hit the same spot repeatedly so their precision is 100% BUT they aimed at the first dart board that the new player had used, so accuracy is zero.

Accuracy is how close you are to your goal / an acceptable result, while precision is your consistency.

On to "move to the waypoint". That's certainly not precise and there's a lot of things I don't like about it: lack of timing, combat orders and SLs intent going forwards.

However, it has become standard practice at TG to refer to the squad waypoint as simply THE waypoint because it's the only one SMs should be paying attention to unless specifically asked otherwise. Much as we would say "answer in comms" we mean squad comms not platoon comms. While the other markers are "platoon waypoint" or "Alpha/Bravo etc. triple chevron".

I accept that for NEW players this is not precise but that also applies to all orders our PL is giving over comms. This is why our SLs should be in the habit of occasionally reminding, especially when new players join and at the start of ops, that players follow SL orders and waypoints only.

Finally, and I'm being picky here, your first exception to this was actually two exceptions:
    1) Too fast paced combat to be more precise.
    2) Individual initiative provides more advantages.

Thanks for taking the time to make these. Also, I loved the part at 3:48 where you kept pressing the button; it reminds me of the Joker doing that in The Dark Knight.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post
      [MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION] Also, I loved the part at 3:48 where you kept pressing the button; it reminds me of the Joker doing that in The Dark Knight.
      that made me lol
      - Also Garthra PLAYING INFIL!!! (Not in a squad but still!!!) Im kidding of course just used to seeing him as HA.

Back to the topic at hand I do feel as though While you said to try and not talk to mutch towards the end of the video as what is an order and what is general comms can become jumbled and confused. You should also be careful not to talk to little other wise the squad may end up feeling a bit unlead, something that I noticed in the past on other servers. You would go a full 10 min of jumbled, everyones in the general vicinity of squad way and then all the sudden people would start talking and you would have leadership... Not that we really have any issues with that.

Comment

Science 122 Accuracy vs. Precision

Just popping in here with this to piggy back the Accuracy vrs Precision bit Jengles went over. Only bringing it up because its fresh in my memory from a class.

===

I'm liking the video outreach effort Garthra. Nice way to spread the brand.

Comment

I think my definition of precision is a good one, at least it seems to match Ytman's
          "exact, as in performance, execution, or amount."
          Thanks YT!
          The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Got to watch all of it just now. I like it a lot. Its tone and production is more in step with TG than what other PlanetSide personalities do and I think will fit better as a sort of 'video-based' TGU.

Listening to it I was getting a vibe that you could totally record a self-help motivational tape. Very measured and professional. I like it a lot. And after fully watching the video I think Clear and Precise is good enough. I don't see the need to add in a third bit because I think Clear and Accurate are effectively synonyms in this context.

I would suggest too though that you might have not given enough emphasis on time as maybe needed. Squad management is very well its own video but taking the time to think out you wording is very important for beginning SLs/FLs and actually just important all around. On the other hand being too precise can be detrimental too, and while you elaborated on times when you shouldn't be precise (but always be clear) you didn't necessarily warn about the pratfalls about being too precise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
              I don't see the need to add in a third bit because I think Clear and Accurate are effectively synonyms in this context.
              Yeah, what I meant was actually to say the clarity bit was describing accuracy. Precision was fine.

On second thought I don't think it's really an issue. It's nice to keep in mind in case we want to differentiate the two, however.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

I dunno, they're two very different things. Accuracy is "am I giving the right order" while precision is "am I giving enough detail that people won't misinterpret the order".

Though maybe in this context "accuracy" is out of scope

Comment

I see what you did there. :)
                  Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse