Developing for TG Air Operations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing for TG Air Operations

Fellow Outfit members I post here for the purpose of truly developing an Air Squad Operation, and I don't take this for a quick or easy to create concept. Inside our outfit we are all very familiar with our Airborne Infantry Operations, I might even go as far to call it the bread and butter of TG, and our Armor squads when deployed can be truly dominating forces even more so when the two synchronize on a target. That being said the flip side of the coin is that our Air Operations are basically nonexistent. Other then performing Galaxy drops or the occasional recon flight when it comes to taking the skies we tend to turn into "Sky-Knights" one or two craft operations that when it comes to supporting a Platoon is minor if not just completely discarded. It is for the purpose of offering our Platoon Operations a new support element that can be both tactical and effective at supporting our goals of base captures and denying reinforcement to enemy maneuvers while enabling any willing member to work these squads not just a select group of pilots.

Now the hard part to this is developing an SOP for this so what I ask is for a squad of volunteers,who would be willing to do squad/platoon operations either Sunday or Tuesday nights starting around 8:00 PM EST. I will not be asking for a specific weapons package in order to keep the thought that any BR member should be able to join as this becomes SOP but I will ask that all who apply are willing to fly all aircraft and be willing to follow the designated leader even at loss of equipment and life (A TG expectation as we all know) and then conduct an AAR to see where we need improvement. Remembering that we can't control individual situations but we can control the action drills. Please post a reply to this thread if interested in performing this task so that I can see if we have enough of an active interest.

Re: Developing for TG Air Operations

I'm interested in taking part to help developing SOP for our Air Squads! :D

Comment

Hi GeneralCain,

I'd look into reaching out to [MENTION=56259]Zepkron[/MENTION] or any number of ex-PS2 or ex-TG pilots, I'm pretty sure some of this stuff was worked out, but I wasn't very into it. Starstriker has done quite a bit of air as well, and Garthra has operated more than one lib squad.

And always remember:

#BlameGhostshooter101
      MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Cain,

Would be happy to help with this concept on sunday. (Tuesday 8pm EST I won't be home from work.) However, as with the rest of PS2, it is subject to real life. This particular week I will be busy tomorrow (sunday).
        [MENTION=56964]TonyMac[/MENTION] thanks for the shout out. I did run some lib squads. I basically ran them as [MENTION=59167]VLAD[/MENTION] was running the reaver squad last night. (Have a planned infiltration route to a planned target, focus all fire on it, then get out quick. Rinse and repeat. Coordination (of targets/aircraft movement) and discipline were the main portions of it.
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

My availability for in-game work on this is going to be inconsistent, but DEFINITELY look into the archived stuff in our forums. Two years ago TG ran dedicated air superiority squads constantly (often in support of airborne infantry), and we had a VERY good group of pilots, regularly scrapping with [N] on roughly equal terms. As part of this we'd developed some very effective comms discipline and tactics that we've largely lost, between disuse and many of our more experienced pilots leaving the outfit for more air focused groups.

Zepkron is a great person to talk to, as mentioned. If you can find Jengles, Vladimir, or myself, we'll have a lot of input for you because we've all run a ton of air squads in the past.

In terms of general advice, I'd focus foremost on re-developing our culture of clean, tight air comms. This is what air needs more than anything; the pace is frantic, orienting yourself in the space is challenging, and you've got a ton of largely self-directed pilots all trying to coordinate. Without proper discipline this rapidly results in comms overload and ineffectiveness. Keep the communication short, precise, and free of extraneous information!

Some examples:
          "Scythe spotted pursuing Bravo 2 east and high of AO; Bravo 4 engaging"
          "Bravo 7 needs assist southeast and low of AO, heading north"

Here's a two year old thread where I tried to codify this.

Always use the numbered callsigns because they're easier to orient towards on the map or in the air. This goes for calls of assistance; give your own callsign and position so friendlies can zero in. Always call out positions relative to a common marker, and remember to give height and heading information where possible.

As far as tactics, here's some general ones:
          • Designate a common fallback point in friendly territory. Let your squad know when you're RTB (returning to base) for ammo or repairs (e.g. "Bravo 9 RTB")
          • Consider having AA elements in the squad that you can coordinate for a "home base" that you can dash back to when enemy air attacks you. A mobile skyguard that you can lead a chasing mossie over will save your bacon and deliver a nasty 1-2 combo in big air fights. Squad members out of resources can do this temporarily by manning static AA turrets at your fallback base.
          • Keep careful track of your resources and make sure all your pilots know to keep their birds alive at all costs. Rapidly losing aircraft is the quickest way for an air squadron to be shut down.
          • An "australian peel", an infantry tactic for disengaging from contact, actually works pretty well as an ad-hoc way of disengaging your aircraft from enemy aircraft. When you run from them, anybody who gets clear of the fight turns around and re-engages to get them off the tail of people still running. Once everyone else is clear, you start running again. Repeat until enemy is no longer chasing you.

And here are some specific ones:
          • Heavy Interceptor Squadrons - Air squads with a heavy liberator contingent and a forward spotter at the enemy warpgate to intercept and destroy enemy galaxies before they can arrive to their targets. This thread contains a link to the original proposal, and a whole bunch of after-action reports from test flights. This was reasonably effective back in the day; with the game a bit less reliant on mass redeployment these days, it might be viable again for the purposes of disrupting last second drops.
          • Hit-and-run CAS with spotters - This is how I prefer to run close air support; no loitering, fast attacks with Reavers on targets designated by a forward, cloaked spotter, minimum of contact with AA and no long term contribution to hex population. Executing this in a disciplined way will usually allow you to devastate enemy attacks by taking out the logistics in a systematic way, and you can do this on a large or small scale depending on how many pilots you have. Here's the first live-fire AAR of the tactic in action with a squad+ and is an AAR from a tiny squad.

Comment

I should be down for both dates and definitely interested in helping Air operations grow.

Comment

I'm interested in this, hopefully being in vco does not change things too much.

Comment

Here are some "things" i keep in mind wen i fly.

1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you
                2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
                3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
                4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent.
                5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
                6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try to get around his attack, but fly to meet it
                7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
                8. Tip for Squadrons: In principle, it is better to attack in groups of four or six. If fights break up into a series of single combats, pay attention that several comrades would not go after one opponent.

This are some basic rules taken from Dicta Boelcke , maibe some of them not aply correctly in PS2 but it can help u to keep some discipline.

Comment

[MENTION=50907]Garthra[/MENTION]: Always a pleasure running in an air squad with you

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1pr0 View Post
                    Here are some "things" i keep in mind wen i fly.

1. Try to secure the upper hand before attacking. If possible, keep the sun behind you
                    2. Always continue with an attack you have begun
                    3. Open fire only at close range, and then only when the opponent is squarely in your sights
                    4. You should always try to keep your eye on your opponent.
                    5. In any type of attack, it is essential to assail your opponent from behind
                    6. If your opponent dives on you, do not try to get around his attack, but fly to meet it
                    7. When over the enemy's lines, always remember your own line of retreat
                    8. Tip for Squadrons: In principle, it is better to attack in groups of four or six. If fights break up into a series of single combats, pay attention that several comrades would not go after one opponent.

This are some basic rules taken from Dicta Boelcke , maibe some of them not aply correctly in PS2 but it can help u to keep some discipline.
                    For those who are unfamiliar, these are from a WWI flying ace. I remember in talking with members of AACE (the dedicated air outfit on Mattherson, now defunct) once a long long time ago, that a lot of their tactics were based on WWI tactics, like these. You might be surprised at just how applicable they are to PS2!
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

To reinforce what Randy said with some other conversations had time and again, for all of its flash and lasers and floating tanks, PS2 is a WW1/2 style game. The tech is shiny, but extremely ineffective. (Think 30 kph rockets). Any time I am outright demolished by an enemy, either on the ground or in the rare case I'm in the air, it is usually someone behaving as though they are operating is accordance to the rules posted above.

sigpic

Comment

So, um, I have this "friend" who is a bad/noob pilot, but he is interested in the sort of A2G hit-and-run tactics you describe here. What would be the best way for him to cert out his Reaver? He already had rocketpods, and the default gun or the Vortek. What the best cert out so he can survive long enough to be a good pilot (or at least no longer a noob)?
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd cert up the racer frame a bit to be able to get in and out faster, for starters.

Comment

Another option would be to try flying the Valkyrie to get the hang of basic flight mechanics. It's much easier than an ESF and once the "friend" has the hang of it, he can graduate to the more difficult role of the ESF.

Comment

Unrelated to your equipment / certing question, however is applicable to new pilots, in general: Practice your flying in VR until you get the basics down. Practice strafing runs on fixed targets until you can do them easily (Reaver / Lib nose gun). Practice touch and go's on the back landing pads of the tower, rooftops, and flying as low as you can while following the twisty roads (Galaxy). When you have reached a basic level of competence, then do it in game against real opponents (or, in the case of Gal piloting, deliver a squad under the pressure of a real live combat drop). This takes a lot of the pressure of you in learning while you are still an extreme noob. Good luck and have fun / happy flying! :)
                              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X