Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new capture system

Here's a video of it in action.

To sum up quickly; if a third party flips control points at a base while a capture is in progress, they do not undo the other attacker's progress, but can instead steal it.

There are two implications here:

The first is that, obviously, if we've got the rare situation in which the TR and VS are scrapping and one is about to win the fight, we can swoop in at the last minute to take the base for ourselves. The capture will be short lived if we don't follow it up with reinforcements and it'll put us directly between two enemy factions who'll be more than a little peeved, but it's a new strategic option that shouldn't be discounted. On multi point bases small insertion squads can hit the two less defended points at the last second, as in the video. In single point bases then a stronger force is required to overpower the point defenders, unless the fight is so lopsided that it's become a spawn camp.

The second, however, is that there's a new edge case threat to watch out for. If the third faction has access to a base you're attacking, then you need to be aware of the possibility of a last second cap that will steal your progress and essentially restart the assault with a new defender. That new defender might be slow to reinforce and you'll already have cap infrastructure in place, but it's obviously not ideal. The risk is magnified as the cap gets closer to completion.

Countermeasures can be leaving a squad on a less defended control point (one should suffice to prevent the steal), having heavy AA presence to discourage what is likely to be an airborne insertion, or having an air squad aggressively intercept any transport vehicle in the AO.

Re: The new capture system

We did this the other night, during an alert even. :)

We did not do it exactly as in the video, in our case it was more of a TR ghost capping a VS base. I must say, all I/we did was execute. It was actually cfschris and/or Infinint from VCO that noticed the situation on the map, and pointed out we could ninja it using the new mechanic. We were operating as airborne infantry, they asked if we could get there in time, and we could so we did.

The best part was the poor TR guy(s) in local /yell text were like DAMN YOU NC GHOST CAPPING MY GHOST CAP!

It was great! :)
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's a bit of an unusual opportunity, but I think it'll pop up often enough (especially at hub bases) that it's worth keeping an active eye on it.

Comment

Sweeeet
        MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

I think you will start seeing it more and more. I think right now it's still too new, and people aren't familiar with it. But once it starts becoming commonplace, maybe people will stop spawn camping and start actually defending the points?! That would be a nice change. :)
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X