Developing Valkyrie Combat Wing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing Valkyrie Combat Wing

I'd like to start looking at developing a Valkyrie combat wing as it's the one vehicle in the arsenal that we don't make much use of. Most of the reasons behind this are the fault of SOE/DBG for throwing this vehicle together over a short period of time, giving it an arsenal of weapons that performed badly, rushing it out for release way too early and then sweeping it under the rug for months without any substantial updates. Over the past few months the Valkyrie has received a few more updates to improve its performance on the battlefield provided you have an experienced crew working together. It still has its outstanding issues but the Valkyrie is in a much better position than the disaster it was at launch.

The Valkyrie can be a very capable air asset for attacking ESFs, Liberators, Galaxies and ground targets with the right crew which consists of:

(1) Pilot
    (1) Gunner
    (2) Rumble Seat Engineers

The two Engineers in the rumble seats only job is to constantly repair the Valk as it receives damage and take the occasional pot shot with their Archer rifles at any armor the vehicle is attacking. It may not be the most interesting role, but you'll be the main reason for keeping the vehicle in the air and alive during a fight. You can pack in four Engineers total but I'm guessing we won't have too many folks interested in the beginning so we'll keep it at just two for now. Heavies in the back are not that useful on NC due to Phoenix firing bug and lock-ons are difficult as the lock is always broken when the vehicle is moving or rolling which it will almost always be doing. TR Valks with Strikers are devastating as you just dumb the fire the rockets out the rumble seat which then lock-on any nearby air target.

We'll start with basic air to air combat in VR using two Valkyries to simulate an air to air engagement to show how the vehicle's agility and rolling ability can be used against an ESF. Eventually we'll move onto attacking larger targets and then onto going after ground vehicles and what weapon is best used for a particular situation. I'd like to see us field at least two Valkyries with the above crew complement as a single Valk doesn't have enough firepower its own to destroy a target quickly. Taking out targets quickly is the best strategy for the Valk as you don't want to be lingering over a hot combat zone for long due to everybody wanting to fire at you.

If you're interested, please post up here and we'll look at setting up a time to start things up.

Re: Developing Valkyrie Combat Wing

You know, I've been a pretty big downer on the durability of the Valk, famously and often referring to it as a "paper mache aircraft." I did have a guy in squad the other day who suggested pulling a Valk for a specific mission (we were trying to drop mines and kill those 2 particularly pesky Repair Sundees in the middle of that VS armor column coming over the bridges to Scarred Mesa). There was too much AA to even get near them in the slow moving Gal (which, in AA fire, and/or hi pop areas, suddenly slows down even further, as if caught in a spider's web, I dunno, maybe that's just my connection). So anyway, I said sure what the heck let's give it a try. He said the key is the 2 Engis repairing in the back, which we did. And man, what a huge difference that made in the durability. We were able to successfully drop mines on and destroy one, and then the other Repair Sunderer. And after that, the armor column was able to be whittled down. So I dunno if I'm a true believer yet, but I am willing to work on my flying and tactics with you. Just gives me/us one more tool in the toolbox, which can be perfect in the right situation(s).

Incidentally, I would like to reiterate just how almost unstoppable this armor column was with only 2 Repair Sunderers in it, which is something I have long been a proponent of when running our armor squads. Make it 3 and you are practically invincible. Anyone who has been on the receiving end of this knows what I am talking about. All the Sundees just repair each other, as well as all the vehicles around them simultaneously. If the formation sticks together, and moves in a tightly coordinated fashion, it is pretty impenetrable, not unlike a phalanx formation except instead of infantry, using armor.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

(which, in AA fire, and/or hi pop areas, suddenly slows down even further, as if caught in a spider's web, I dunno, maybe that's just my connection).
      Same happens to me, only, to the passengers, it looks like the gal has slowed down.

I was exiting an area on INDAR which involved flying up over a canyon, under fire and the SL was saying "Why are you slowing down, go faster go faster". Indeed the speed felt a lot slower but I had the forward key jammed in place, my page up key was locked in (up thruster) and I was even mashing the space bar(not assighned but always seems to help), and it still felt like walking wopuld be a faster option :P

Connection or not, its a real issue for everyone in a populated area.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

I'll volunteer as one of the valk pilots or any other cog in this machine. Would love to see the capabilities of a battle valk.

Comment

Thanks guys, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

@ Randy - this is the second time VS has pulled that little trick in the past two weeks. Mac and I had a cloaking sunderer on the ridge to the east of the bridge, but our two Phoenix rockets were just an annoyance to them. To top it off, the only people we could get to spawn on our sunderer were Infiltraitors who weren't doing anything useful. I'm willing to bet twelve Phoenix rockets focused on one target could easily take out a single repair sunderer before it could be raised back to full health. I haven't tested this yet but another option might be to pull an armored column from Tarwich and roll them up the path on the hill west of Tarwich to Regent Rock to take control of the bridge and hit their armor gathering from behind.

Comment

Purple Scum.

And Valks. Wyvern 4Evar.
            MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

You guys doing this now? I see you are online. I was going to rack out...
              "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                You guys doing this now? I see you are online. I was going to rack out...
                Not yet. We'll give it a few more days to see how many more victims...err..volunteers we can muster up.

Comment

So my thoughts are as follows
                  A) Ive always been a fan of the valk Love flying and am more than willing to help out with this
                  B) the Phoenix bug can be somewhat mended by having the pilot stop before hand, while it doesnt totally remove it happens much less often
                  C) Fully loaded a valk can hold 4 phoenix heavies, when I tested this with Garthra two volleys was all it took to down a uncerted mbt and even sundy in vr
                  D) fast valk drops over armour columns with mines and varios explosives can be very effective as stated earlier with the engineers having the ability to stay airborne while the heals are applied means we can do rapid drops over the armour columns with a single valkyrie without the need to hop out for reps effectiveley letting us stay airborne longer

Comment

Send me a /tell whenever you see me online. Archer, 5 AT mines and max rep tool all at your service.

Ba-dum-tss
                    My life before TG http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbre
                    Who cares about stats ? http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/Cairbr

Comment

If you pop a medic with triage in the gunner seat they can:
                      * auto heal the engineers/heavies in the rumble seat and outside.
                      * spot targets
                      * jump out to revive if needed

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Good call VTS. What is the heal rate, though?
                        MacKahan -- Mac-Kay-an In case you were curious. ;-)

sigpic

Comment

I think it depends on level? Or does the level only increase distance, and always at the same rate?

I think it's the latter but still not a bad idea even if slow to always be healing all occupants from occasional grazing bullets / explosions.

Comment

We'll be looking at starting up the first VR mock air battle session around the middle of October. One of the things we've learned from using the Swarm is that they do massive damage to infantry. If you fire off three to six missiles at a Valk with all the rumble seats occupied, you'll most likely kill between one or two passengers. At this stage we'll run with Squad Logistics equipped and stick with the two engineers for repairs to keep the casualties down and later on we'll look at adding Heavies to the mix. Hopefully with some of the extra people around we can get a third Valk up in the air. Also, if you don't have a certed out Valk but want to fly one that is, we can pull one for you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X