No announcement yet.

Counter Zerg map strategy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter Zerg map strategy

Interesting video.

A neat insight on countering a zerg with a smaller force; a zerg doesn't have the coordination to redirect itself on the ground in the absence of a redeploy, and if you cut off the base you want to attack they CAN'T redeploy to defend it. I'm not a 100% on that last bit (doesn't the zerg have a lattice connection to the previous base?) but it certainly prevents outside forces from doing so and without the "reinforcements needed" spawn many elements of the zerg might not even consider it.

It was also interesting how the entire platoon hit the Palisade despite no resistance. Doing so dissuaded external forces from redeploying over unless they're also platoon size, but more importantly was not doing anything to distract (or worse, defeat!) the zerg and kept them focused on fight they're at. Basically, a zerg only thinks to move when the battle is over. If they've won, they're likely to keep rolling while small elements redeploy (and those small elements will be dissuaded by the overpop you've put on the base). If they lose the entire zerg will redeploy, albeit somewhat incohesively.

Also worth noting is something that WASN'T pointed out in the video: the zerg was engaged at NS materials/Rashnu while Crimson Bluff was being taken. It was stretched thin in addition to having little room to move around, and the cutoff meant that there was going to be long term attrition in the zerg size barring galaxy drops. Since a zerg is built out of many smaller units and solo players, they're going to trickle out over time, especially as they start to see--as individuals--the map situation crumble around them. Thinking about it further, I think this dynamic had the most to do with how a difficult to cap base like Crimson Bluff could be so easily taken; the zerg couldn't coordinate to move it's force around and defend the cut off bases, and no unorganized reinforcements were going to be able to come to their aid.

Here are some takeaways. Some of them might seem obvious or old news, but I'm listing them for completeness:
    • Identification of whether a force is a zerg or not is, as always, a really helpful thing
    • Zergs act predictably. If they've got a fight, they stay there. If they win, they're probably going to keep rolling forward. If they lose, they're going to redeploy and scatter, based on a reasonable read of the map, and probably more likely to head to the previous base than not.
    • Small organized elements of zergs are more likely to act less predictably and be more aware of strategic opportunities and threats. The better at this they are, the smaller they're likely to be; if they're small, you can bully them around with force sizes if you need to.
    • Cutting off a zerg allows you to bleed it dry over time
    • If you want a base, don't push the zerg back to it or give them a reason to go there. Keep them distracted; ideally, create a strategic situation where a single reasonable person would look at it and see multiple competing priorities. Since the zerg lacks central coordination, that will pull it in diffierent directions and make it less effective at countering any of them.

Operating at the strategic level is where I personally feel weakest as a lead; I'm much, much more comfortable operating at the tactical (squad) or operational (a single base) levels. Very interested in your guys thoughts!

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed