No announcement yet.

Galaxy Pickups in hot zones (The Scoop)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy Pickups in hot zones (The Scoop)

We need a better way to pick up troops in hot LZs. I've had a standard of five seconds on the ground, and everyone had better be in by then or they miss the flight, but recently realized we could do better.

I practiced with a squad for a half hour or so with this scenario:

Squad is grouped closely together on the ground.
    Pilot calls the direction they are approaching from so squad can eyeball the approach.
    Pilot calls out "Five seconds" when approximately five seconds from pickup.
    Pilot noses down toward squad and reduces speed to 75-100KPH and skims the ground, not actually toughing down.
    Pilot drives the gal just barely to the right or left of the squad while skimming
    Squad times is to they rush to the gal and hit the vehicle enter button when the gal is close to them.
    Hopefully everyone makes it.

About 90 percent of the time, it worked every time. :)

Benefits:
    1. Extremely fast, the gal never actually stops, nor has to overcome momentum to fly again
    2. higher gal survivability

Challenges:
    1. Lag can mean some squad members get left behind
    2. Requires a practiced gal pilot
    3. Squad has to be ON POINT regarding the pickup.
    4. In a very hot pickup zone, squad may be busy with callouts and incoming fire.

To my mind a pickup is only good if it works all of the time, and all of the people get on board (Maxes, mist importantly)

Anyway, something to work on I think.
    Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Re: Galaxy Pickups in hot zones (The Scoop)

Leave the stragglers behind and give them a firm verbal lashing. Worst case is that they get to respawn in the gal with a fresh loadout. Never linger in hot LZs.

I like a nice pickup. Its a fun scenario and sometimes, with a veteran gal, it has the added aspect of firepower. Hot extracts, even in PS2, shouldn't really ever be too hot though.

Utilizing this scoop idea is a great idea to counter the cons of hot LZs. I've accomplished a few mid air scoops in either Sunderers or Gals as LA. I think the gal has a pretty large prompt space to greatly facilitate this. This is obviously truly only critical when attempting to save a MAX.

I wonder if this could be done with Valks. Though we lose the functionality of MAX pick-ups; it'd still be fun.

Comment

The training/testing that Zombie did showed that the fast scoop can be "missed" even if the player is making real effort to get on board (spamming E key as galaxy passes). We did tests when everyone was simply trying to get on, not distracted by anything. It comes down to latency and client side lag. Therefore I would not really support a verbal lashing.
      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

-yeah i kinda thought the same thing about the mention of verbal lashing made me cringe a little myself

Comment

Just to add: SL needs to mark the extraction point with smoke, I think that makes it easier for both the pilot and the ground troops (as well as being more immersive).
          sigpic

Comment

Brings to mind an old debate which I'm not sure was ever settled (or if it was, I might have missed it, although I usually keep up with forums, even when unable to play).

Anyway, should the squad group up on squad mark, or Gal land on mark?

Pros of squad grouping on mark are it's easier for multiple people to coordinate one common location, and thusly stay tight. But then Gal needs to aim slightly left or right of said mark.

Discuss?
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I tend to use the WP as a guide to where the squad is heading and if I see an area, Better/safer, I'll call it out.

eg SL ask for pick up 300M north:
              I could just pick them up outside the room they are in, instead of flying past them an extra 300M

If the squad is together on pre set WP, I just need to know this and adjust pickup as needed.

Now, with the Right click update, it is harder to WP the squads current location and sometimes the SL need to off set it position slightly.

If the SL IS the gal pilot, having the squad group up ON the WP will help with the pickup, but sometimes, the gal pilot might drop the WP, 200M up a mountain side where the squad does not have access to, in which case we relay in feed back from the ground.

However this is set up, communication between the FT/SL and the Gal is crustal to the success of each pickup.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
                Brings to mind an old debate which I'm not sure was ever settled (or if it was, I might have missed it, although I usually keep up with forums, even when unable to play).

Anyway, should the squad group up on squad mark, or Gal land on mark?

Pros of squad grouping on mark are it's easier for multiple people to coordinate one common location, and thusly stay tight. But then Gal needs to aim slightly left or right of said mark.

Discuss?
                Pretty much what you said. Easier to gather multiples around one point, and as the gal pilot has to be sharp and on the ball for this anyway, they will land to either side of the mark depending on terrain and incoming fire.
                Communications, Cohesion, Confidence.

Comment

smoke all 4 directions outside of grp and scoop :) Fatz did it other night. I think it was fatz. I didn't jump so another player and I missed but he got the whole grp

FUN FUN

Comment

Originally posted by sparhawkxx View Post
                    smoke all 4 directions outside of grp and scoop :) Fatz did it other night. I think it was fatz. I didn't jump so another player and I missed but he got the whole grp
                    That's super cool, really like that idea.
                    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

well we didn't smoke , but the pickup happened. the smoke would work, and look like something very dramatic for morale for whoever is pilot :)

FUN FUN

Comment

We need a training/practice event for this

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X