Base buster strategies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base buster strategies

I think this is a fun thing to get a discussion rolling on; now that we've had time to poke at the base building system a bit, what kind of ways have you found (or are itching to try) to knock down enemy bases?

Beyond the obvious brute force/siege approach that's very armour heavy, I've been experimenting with a few ways for single squads to disable or destroy well fortified HIVEs. The first is to scout ahead and analyse the base for weaknesses. For smaller bases in particular there are often major oversights that might allow a squad to either assault it with AT from a particular position (and then kill either the Silo, the HIVE, or attendant Sundies) or approach it directly and engage the HIVE with C4 and small arms for an outright kill.

Another approach I tried out tonight was NC specific: a Phoenix squad is capable of engaging a HIVE with indirect fire, and this CAN knock the shield down and kill the HIVE with good volley coordination and critical mass! Since the rocket can usually be maneuvered through intervening obstacles and shields, the standard line of sight blockers aren't an impediment, and the squad can stay relatively safe from enemy fire while they lob artillery at it. To prevent this approach, the enemy would need to aggressively knock our position down, shoot down our rockets, or find a position that's difficult to lob a Phoenix into without exposing oneself.

Anyone tried any interesting attack methods?

Re: Base buster strategies

Nerf to Phoenix incoming...
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

... but ...but the pheonix barely kills stuff as is lol

Comment

Not that we have to worry about this sort of attack, but it IS counterable if you're aware of what's happening. The Phoenix team is usually a little occupied staring into their TV controls if you want to ambush them, and Phoenix rounds can be shot down if you're paying attention. Wouldn't be shocked if a single person swatting the missiles would be enough to neuter it.

The flip side is that the enemy needs to:
        • Realize that there are Phoenix missiles being fired at them, potentially in a hectic combat situation where projectile rendering might not be reliable
        • Realize the missiles are hitting the core and not something else
        • Have the tactical coordination and available manpower to harass the Phoenix squad OR
        • Know that shooting Phoenix missiles is possible and have the aim or equipment to do so reliably (like a Burster MAX)

That's a surprisingly challenging set of requirements to hit, and requires a fair bit of familiarity with the game, situational awareness, and not being so badly occupied with other things that you can't put it all together.

Comment

Pheonixes do very little damage to all structures. I feel DB should change it that Pheonixs do little damage to the Core and Modules only.

You'd need literally hundreds of Pheonixes to do significant damage. They seem to do at least an order of magnitude less damage than other RLs.

Comment

Hm. Might have to do with resist types; Phoenixes by design have a low damage, but a huge multiplier versus armoured targets, to reduce the "Phoenixes for everybody, everywhere, muhuhahah!" insanity of its first couple days of release.

Comment

My feeling is that there is going to be a strong value in kill squads/platoons. Probably the latter unless we figure out some really effective kill strategies. We've discovered that the Sky Wall doesn't prevent vehicles from entering and when that happens you get free firing solutions. Imagine busting these bases with a combination of Battle Gals, Libs, and Support Gals. Add in the fact that once the modules go down you can probably drop the infantry in and I think we've got a strategy to test!

I feel that hitting bases is more valuable than setting bases up. Best to keep their VP generation at a minimum than keep ours high. If we have all the Cores and only operate 3 close to WG and well defended we have a firm win condition.

Comment

Keep in mind that free passage through skywalls is actually a bug; for whatever reason, only the TR skywall was applying damage to vehicles passing through. It's still viable to take a vehicle through them, but not free!

Still, I've heard that, at least for now, Valkyries full of Heavies with C4 have been a very effective type of kill squad. Smash and grab attacks like that are very viable, especially if you've got decent intelligence of the base you're hitting.

It also brings up an important point for defense: if you're got a big base that's been resistant to enemy attacks long enough that the enemy might want an airborne kill squad to deal with it, you'd be well served to have some sort of proactive air defense. A small Reaver squad might do wonders for preventing those attacks through a combination of early warning and shooting them down prior to the attack. That Valkyrie attack through the skywall would crumble in a heartbeat if the vehicle has been damaged enough that passing through the skywall will kill it!

Comment

Well, looks like there's something on the way that'll invalidate a LOT of surgical strikes on the HIVE, Phoenix volleys included!

MOAR SHIELDS.

Seems like a fairly solid change to me; merely asking for one additional module to be killed before you can hit the HIVE is not a particularly big thing to ask unless you're trying to sucker-punch a base, in which case your job deserves to be hard. In a normal drawn out base siege, that shield isn't going to provide more than a few seconds of extra protection.

I wonder if this sort of thing is a prelude to nerfing the turret AI and Xiphos turrets a bit, since there's now a relatively easy way to secure a HIVE against suicide drops without requiring the auto turrets to instantly murder everyone.

Comment

Now, quick question, how do you engage a wall that is being repaired by the modules? Do we need to just have a ton of HEAT shells raining in quickly?

Comment

Repair modules will make a single vehicle's efforts against a construction pretty tough, but you can out-DPS it. A single vehicle can knock an auto-repaired turret down, but a wall would probably be beyond its ammo reserves.

A team firing at that wall will melt it in fairly short order, repair module or no, unless the enemy is committing a SUBSTANTIAL number of engineers to the task to shore it up. Repair modules only really mitigate damage over time; strong alpha strikes and focused fire remain the most reliable way to engage structures.

AP rounds do enough damage to be meaningful. HEAT doesn't hurt, of course!

Comment

With some recon to find the right drop spot...

I wondered about a strategy of dropping a mix of heavies, eng and medics down through the skywall shield, the medic dropping AOE heals and heal grenades as soon as they pass the shield, then get cover in a sundy garage or bunker, to then take out the HIVE. Maybe one infiltrator to drop an EMP and for scouting it out for recon.

Probably would take a few tries at it. Perhaps DoT would have a TANK squad that took out the auto turrets first.

Perhaps another strat to drop all infiltrators with crossbow explosive bolts, with REGEN implants so they can heal up after the 90% dmg of the skywal while stalker cloaked...

Comment

With the latter, why bother dropping through the skywall at all? If you feel a base is vulnerable to a stalker infiltrator + explosive bolt incursion, why not enter from the exterior and save the damage and potential chaos?

Comment

I like the explosive bolt incursion idea. Small Arms do pathetic damage potential. I think base busting can be a nice application of the slow-burn gameplay style some enjoy.

Comment

The infiltration idea is interesting... any reason an anti-infantry turret would not stop that kind of incursion?

I am skeptical of infiltrators bringing the firepower needed. I did my first successful deployed base assault today. The HIVE was significantly harder to crack than I expected.
                              It took armor taking out turrets, with max's and infantry moving in afterward, and then, after all that, then it took a while, and we had a good bit of blueberry help. Someone called it dead, after a while, and we pulled back, and had to re-engage, to finish it off.
                              It was tough.
                              The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X