Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Video That Displays a Problem in the Community That We Should Use to Our Advantage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Video That Displays a Problem in the Community That We Should Use to Our Advantage

https://youtu.be/HDFGIl4r9oY
    This video talks about the problems of Zergfits. It also talks about the role of outfits in teaching new players how to navigate Planetside 2. The main point, that I myself have iterated in the past, is the recruitment from Zergfits. I hope you enjoy

Re: A Video That Displays a Problem in the Community That We Should Use to Our Advant

Haven't been so active lately but my opinion on Zergfits is that they serve a vital function strategically. All forces have the canon fodder type of unit, if you will, for Planetside 2 Zergs and the Zergfit serves that vital role of scale. The Zerg-fit gets derided far too often imo. They might not have the strategy or higher-level tactics that'd we use but they certainly have one thing in their favor - they can often get things done. Maybe not economically but it works.

Personally, I miss the days of Platoon scaled work at TG. For those who like to look at the big-scale battle at default the Platoon is the basic unit of getting things done. Frankly, being ultra-selective in who you accept in the outfit reduces the ability of having that scale. (with the obvious benefit of keeping appearances up - but we can always deal with offenders after they offend)

Comment

Re: A Video That Displays a Problem in the Community That We Should Use to Our Advant

Once you hit the third squad, that's when things start rolling. You've got the weight to throw around, and three squads mean that you can have two squads hold positions while a third is still free to maneuver, and you're less likely to be in the position where you're effectively locked down because both of your squads are doing something you can't spare them from.

But if you want to see that, it has little to do with our recruitment, really; it comes down to our leadership. We cannot run a third squad without at least three people willing to step up to lead at the same time, and ideally 4 (as beyond two squads doing double duty as SL and PL is exhausting and ensures you do neither job well). We can fill out our numbers with members of other outfits in an open squad, as there are always plenty of people willing to run our style even when they aren't willing to wear our tags, but we CAN'T make do without quality leadership, and people stepping up to fill the roles. And it can't be the same people every time, either; leadership burnout is already a massive problem.

Comment

Pardon if I'm out of place in saying this but isn't Leadership Burnout exactly a problem of a lack of recruitment?

Its not like every business only hires entry level rookies, and the core premise of TG is its horizontal organization. So if TG is still struggling with leadership issues shouldn't it be striving to recruit people willing to lead?

I don't know if I'm making stuff up but I think the high bar our leaders set, as well as the ultra-tactical pathos we bring, does a lot to deter others from taking that risk for fear of being wrong. You don't need to tell me that this is a misunderstanding, I know it is, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the time it feels like we can't play with our hair down.

Comment

You're not out of place at all, YT!

Recruiting people willing to lead would be nice, but I'm not convinced it works too well for us; aside from needing to ensure our standards and style of play are followed (which requires onboarding), leaders are a rare commodity and pretty much every single one of them already belongs to an outfit, because getting ahold of good leadership is every outfits problems. The zergfits can end up as hamstrung by as we are; maintaining control of large organizations requires LOTS of leadership, and IIRC most of the big outfits spend a ton of effort on training those people.

So yeah, recruiting leaders is great, but they're rare and hard to spot. IMO, the best way to get more leadership is training. Find willing candidates, then push them to take leadership positions and mentor them.

As you say, stepping up to lead a group of 12 people is intimidating, and I acknowledge that it's especially pronounced in TG where the bar is often set so high. It's okay to fail, but it's often hard to feel that way. If you have ideas for reducing the intimidation prospective SLs might feel, I'd love to hear them; previous suggestions have included using fire teams as a low risk leadership position, as well as running SL training squads (for instance, on FNF).

As a general note: our officers and NCOs are here to provide mentorship to those who want it, so if anyone is thinking about leading squads but is a bit intimidated by the prospect, do not hesitate to talk to us. We will happily ride shotgun and give advice.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X