Suggestion: Supplement armor squads with an ANT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Supplement armor squads with an ANT

Something I've noticed recently is how effective a couple turrets and some cover can be in turning away even significantly larger zergs.

I think introducing a dedicated ANT to the armor squads would be a great way to supplement squad firepower and improve the defensibility of particular positions on the fly. No need for anything fancy - a wall, repair module and a couple turrets, and you've got a great fallback point, or even an impromptu ambush position (for example, with the low profile anti-vehicle turret).

I'm not sure what the most effective loadout would be, however. I'm not particularly familiar with ANT's. I'd suggest a Walker as the top gun, since dedicated AA support is always a good thing in an armor squad, but I'm not sure what else would help.
    http://i.imgur.com/Pn1UxKo.png - Tactical Gamer // Planetside 2

Re: Suggestion: Supplement armor squads with an ANT

Interesting idea!

I have done something like this with infantry, having an ANT with us deploy a bunker at a location we would be fighting at. Worked well, even on its own. No reason it wouldn't help for armor.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I've been meaning to try this. An ANT can add an engineering element to a squad, and there's just so much you can do with that. Siege emplacements, forward defenses, even transition into full, HIVE supporting bases on the fly. It gives you an outsized influence on the strategic game, and a ton of flexibility.

The main downside is being tethered to the ANT, which means it's only viable in a mech infantry or armour squad. Any advance through infantry only terrain or airborne Transport necessarily leaves the ANT behind. Since I usually tend to think in terms of airborne infantry (to a fault), it limits the opportunity a little bit.

Interesting aspect of it, though, is that the ANT is itself a transport. It can only more a fire team's worth of people, but it can do so with greater speed and agility than a Sunderer, and when they get wherever they're going four people can put down a staggering amount of base assets. It would be very easy to have a fireteam split off to build a base, fortification, roadblock, what have you while the squad does something else.

The thing I like most about having ANTs fueled and ready in our squads is that it gives us opportunity for fortification building on a tactical level. Enemy zerg coming our way? Squad fights a delaying action up front while a building team falls back and throws up some walls and turrets further down the road. We're attacking a HIVE base of our own? Set up a siege emcampment and completely level the playing field. Attacking a base but suspect massive redeploy will create a zerg that will try and breakout through the lane? Have a few guys build a fortification a little further back with a Sunderer, just in case.

It's such a nice fit for an armour squad, too. Good security, they travel constantly and give opportunities to find Cortium and fuel up, and in platoon play they're often idle once the fight moves inside, so fortification building is a great way to busy themselves.

Comment

I can vouch for this. I was part of a base building squad that turned away a full 96+ zerg of armor with 24-48 people on the bridge of scared mesa and regent rock. The backbone was the infantry towers that prevented vehicles from getting too close and most of the blueberries there were simply chipping down vehicles, most of the squad was maintaining and preventing breaches.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X