Countering Sunderers in a Tech Plant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countering Sunderers in a Tech Plant

Tonight we ran into a really obnoxious point hold on a Tech Plant. JOKE had pulled several Sunderers and maneuvered them up the stairs of the tech plant to park them directly on the point. It's not the first time I've seen this done but in this case it was very competently executed, with multiple manned Sunderers in position on the 2nd floor and a squad or two of infantry backing them up. We dropping on the balcony badly surprised by this setup and not kitted for the demolitions work it required and got wiped off of it. Over the next few minutes the NC poured into the tech plant to defend it but even at 2:1 pop were were not anywhere near pushing these guys off. At that

Well played on JOKE's end, but I don't really care to be on the other end of that again, at least without a plan. So lets brainstorm a bit and see if we can't find a solution for the next time this pops up! Similar situations can often happen on other bases, depending on the specific layout, so it pays to have a general strategy as well, but the specific situation of the tech plant can be particularly hairy and repeatable and the layout of that 2nd floor makes it very dangerous indeed.

To elaborate on the threat a bit, the Sunderers can generally hull down behind the dividing walls of the control point and then have a commanding view of the room with the turrets (to say nothing of providing spawns). From their position, they were able to put withering fire onto the upper balcony even through the double doors at the top, making the entrance onto that balcony costly and--due to the porous railings up there--very tenuous to hold, especially once their infantry moved up to take advantage of the pressure from the Sunderer secondaries. You'd think the balcony would be the ideal location to engage from, but it's a dangerous one in that situation because the infantry up there will be taking enough fire that they can't effectively repel enemy infantry there.

Still, there might be something to attacking from the balcony. Perhaps next time that strategy is spotted, we should retreat and pull a MAX heavy demolitions squad, fly them to the balcony, stack up on the outside out of view of the doors, then rush the balcony that way. Particularly if the Sunderers are engaged with something else, I think that could work; if the MAXes can get to the balcony then I'm confident that focus fire will destroy the targets very quickly.

Another approach might be to have a light assault squad sneak through the side garage doors and jet onto the catwalk there; if not pounced on by enemy infantry, they can then rush the Sunderers and drop them in a hail of rocklets.

Thoughts?

There were three sundies on the high ground (point level) of the tech plant, and I think more on ground level.It was truely a massive number of sundies. We took out I think three (2 on ground, one on high level) and it didn't even seem to matter. I don't know if you can break that many sundies without a platoon of infantry kitted for it.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

They had two squads tops, and only three Sunderers up top. The ones up top were the ones that really mattered here, the ones below were much more vulnerable (and less able to cause havoc). I think if we'd kitted out our two infantry squads with multiplae Falcon MAX units each we could have killed those three Sunderers on their own easily enough.

Comment

I agree star, would need AT kits such as falcons.
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I like stars idea above. Another one that might be sloppy but could catch them by surprise. drive a sundy into bay with pure LA c4 rocklet rifle kits. Squad is broken down into two fire teams. both fire teams fly up to long cat walk on opposite sides of each other. cover fire till jets are refueled 3 secs tops. jump again onto point sunder and c4 it. Just an idea. If we have 2 squads we can do both.

Comment

I'd feel comfortable doing that with a single Sunderer; I doubt there's enough staying power if they've got multiple. Obviously, proper intel is going to be important, but if we're being honest the most likely scenario in which we know about this tactic being used is that we've tried a traditional balcony drop and run into it face first, so we'll probably know what we're up against.

Comment

LA squad with rocket pods maybe an option let loose from the gal, the choice of drop areas are limited only by the gal pilot. Also utilising the gal more may have helped with some of the wipes

One thing I noticed when I dropped the squad on the balcony, once I had moved to the shielded vehicle entrance to the right of the drop, the gal received NO to little FLACK, I was sat hovering near to the ground for the whole time you were engaged inside landing every so often to take out sunderers and LAs trying to reinforce. I was able to fire the bulldog throw the gap at the top of the shield, but without a gunner could not offer a better more useful angle.

By the time the squad wiped I ended up returning the gal to warp gate for the next drop as the AA was so little.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X