How to be a better gunner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to be a better gunner

Randomly found a WWII training film for waist gunners in bombers here. It walks through the geometry of how to lead targets while being in a moving aircraft, and makes it very practical. This should be extremely applicable to us when in any multi-person aircraft (one would assume ground vehicles as well). As a bonus, it's animated and voiced by the original creators of Loony Toons (i.e. Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc)!
    sigpic
    Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

I will watch this just for the history value. :)
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

That's a pretty neat video Jestermaximus . It does a good job of showing the relative velocities compared to the actual ones of both sides.

Comment

The only problem is in Planetside, projectiles don't inherit its parent's velocities. It always moves as if it was shot from someone or something standing still.

Comment

Boildown Good point. Had forgotten that! To be fair, the main reason I watched it was because Mel Blanc voiced the soldier in it!
          sigpic
          Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Comment

There is still something to be gained by knowing that you have to lead the target even if it isn't because of the aircraft's velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jestermaximus View Post
              Boildown Good point. Had forgotten that! To be fair, the main reason I watched it was because Mel Blanc voiced the soldier in it!
              There are a bunch that are acted by Ronald Reagan if that interests you. On similar topics too.

Comment

I find that video to be a fascinating historical artifact, though I found it very confusing at first because I'd already internalized the core physical principles, which is that you lead the target based on motion relative to your own viewpoint, not relative to the world. However, this video (and some other related stuff I've heard about) trains the gunner with the concept of shooting BEHIND the target, which on its surface sounds utterly backwards and non-physical but, as the video shows, lines up pretty well for this specific kind of target movement.

Fundamentally, this video is about untraining the gunner's instinct to shoot either directly at the plane or to lead it by shooting ahead of its nose as one would do if they were shooting the target from the ground. I suspect that this scheme for thinking about the approach might actually work better than my own intuition for it in some ways because, up there with nothing but clear sky to frame your target, relative motion would actually be really difficult to gauge thanks to the lack of reference points. Certainly I've noticed a similar difficulty in intuiting relative motion during ESF hover duels once you're pointing straight up in the air.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X