Underutilized Asset: Implants as a Squad Leader Tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underutilized Asset: Implants as a Squad Leader Tool

It occurred to me that we are not maximizing our use of implants… If we can get ½ or 2/3 of the squad to equip a specific implant we can then customize our plan to maximize the effect of that implant… By telling the squad which implants to equip and then deliberately putting the squad in situations that maximize the effectiveness of particular implants a squad leader capitalizes on the discipline/teamwork of TG members. This is basically just like informing the squad whether to equip short, medium, or long range weapons so they arrive with the weapons needed for the situation... but applied to implants. I should note this would leave one implant slot to the individual member to assign at their discretion. Here are some examples.

Safe Fall
    Safe fall is the perfect way to add a surprising vertical mobility to your squad. Useful for attacks, raids or retrograde actions involving vertical terrain.
    Increases the distance you can fall without taking damage to 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 75 meters. Increases lethal fall distance to 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 230 meters. Rank 5 also reduces collision damage from vehicles by 50%.
    This is a “common” implant, and is very likely possessed by the majority of our members.
    We have many fights involving high and low ground. The ability to fall a great distance safely could be an instant escape or attack the enemy would not expect. On indar there are rocks high above the canyons on the south side, and several high bridges scattered throughout… What was a sniping position on high ground becomes an avenue of attack for the whole squad if they can safely jump down. Or, if they are cornered or the battle turns against them, a quick jump could mean a safe extraction, because the enemy could not follow. There are also specific bases which lend themselves to this… several bases such as the crown have towers with high platforms protruding above other structures or contested areas. The ability to drop from these platforms could provide a serious tactical surprise—when a squad jumps together and has this equipped. For example, on Esamir there is a base where the capture point is in a triple stack building which is directly below an air pad attached to a tower. (I am blanking on the name... sorry.) Only the risk of falling damage prevents massive attacks from the roof of the triple stack. Light assaults routinely attack the point from the roof. Why not a whole squad equiped with Safe Fall?

Ocular Shield
    Ocular shield could be used on point breaches… They will make the attackers able to minimize the effect of their grenade, while it still effects the defenders.
    Reduces strength and duration of Flash, EMP and Concussion grenades’ effects on you by 15% / 18% / 23% / 30%. Rank 5 also provides complete immunity to these effects for 5 seconds after using a Med Kit or Restoration Kit (but does not clear effects that were already applied to you).” It is an “uncommon” implant, so not rare… although not the most common.
    Yet, I have never heard anyone call for it. I note that at rank 5, it makes health packs grant 5 second immunity from grenades! Often grenades are thrown a few seconds before the rush to avoid hurting the attackers. But, if properly timed in a coordinated breach, this implant means the attackers can literally be attacking through a hail of grenades. (As long as they are not frags.) Consider how crazy it would be to rush a room as a flash bang went off... where everyone was flash banged or stunned or emped but NOT you... If even three guys in your squad had the last rank of this implant and so were immune to the effects completely… it could be spectacular.
    For example, an infiltrator or light assault throws EMP or flash grenades from Door 3 of the powerhouse at the fat stairs as the main force rushes from Door 1 with this implant equipped.

Fortify
    It buffs anyone close to a capture point. How many countless times have we fought on a point and been stacked all around it very tightly... say fighting in a small room? This buffs us at precisely the moment we need it.
    “Interacting with a control point will increase your maximum shield capacity by 100 / 120 / 150 / 200 points for 15 seconds. 15 second cooldown on interaction. Rank 5: for the duration of the buff, you regenerate 13.33 shields per second.”
    But it is “rare” so less people will have it unlocked…

These are just some examples I have been thinking about…. Here is a list of implants if you are interested in looking at them: http://iridar.net/planetside2/equipment/implants/

Happy to test them out with anyone. Particularly ocular shield for breaches…... Some testing would be required.
    Last edited by Garthra; 01-19-2019, 05:29 AM.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

I like Assassin 5 and Counter Intelligence. When using them, anyone and anything I damage is spotted, anyone or anything that shoots me is spotted. Both are great teamplay implants, and CI is imo just as useful soloing. I do know that CI is exceptional, not sure about Assassin. But, CI was offered in the (biggest) anniversary bundle last year and has been around since the revamped implants were implemented, so more people have it than the average exceptional implant.

Fortify is one I never really considered, how does it work with Carapace? I can't really think of very many places Safe Fall could be used for a tactical advantage. Very situational, and it would be hard to get everyone to equip it before the situation changed. Ocular Shield would be useful against very organized "leetfits" who always spam rooms with concuss and flash and emp, but 30% doesn't seem like enough of a benefit. Anyone practically use it and think differently?

Comment

Boildown

Counter-intelligence sounds quite useful... alas I do not have it and have not been able to try it.

As to Ocular shield, 30% does not sound like much... but I have not had a chance to test out 30% vs 0%... might be worth testing out. 3 seconds of not being blind (while the enemy is) could be huge. Anyway, the last level is outright immunity. I tested it today and it is full immunity... but only on grenades that explode after you activate a medical kit or restoration kit... so it is not a defensive implant, it is an offensive implant. It is optimized for an attacking force, because only the attacker would be able to time when the attack (and thus the grenades) would be exploding. The defender who is playing cannot predict when the grenade will go off gets nothing from the bonus. In sum, it is useless against leefits attacking you, but useful attacking others.

On safefall, I just disagree. I cannot count the fights I have seen light assaults jumping from a high ground position and attacking an enemy below them. Any high ridge or cliff will do. The south east of indar is filled with narrow canyons. As to your point that you cannot predict when you will need it, and so cannot equip the squad... I disagree. On one hand, an equipment change is relatively easy (lots of bases and sunderers are around). As to not predicting when it could help... a quick look at the terrain/mini-map should tell you the enemy is beneath the position where the TG squad will be located... and thus safefall (to allow you to fall down onto them) could be useful. Granted, whether dropping down onto them is a good tactical choice would depend on the details... but such a tactic should not be dismissed out of hand.

As to other implants, there may be other situations where they can be used. My examples list was just a few I thought of at the time. My main point is not to say I have selected the best possible uses for implants. Rather, it is to note we are not coordinating them or using them in our squad tactics at all... and there may be opportunities to do so we have ignored.
      The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

There's additional downsides.

Being micromanaged isn't fun (imo), telling people which implant to use in addition to which rocket launcher to carry, which suit slot, which utility... it goes too far and is a reason I for one don't group at times. Especially when the tactical benefit isn't obvious or frequently ends up being a mistake (like bringing exclusively dumbfires to a long range fight, a mistake which TG leaders insist upon making all the time).

Secondly, it may take months for some people to rank-5 their implant, so any plan that relies on more than the first rank or two of a fairly common implant will have many players who just can't do it. The last time I did a server smash, we were allowed access ahead of time to get and rank up whatever implants we wanted, so in that situation we all took Ocular Shield (but this was the old implant system). The latest system has too much RNG. For example, prepping everyone with Fortify and then when we arrive the situation on the ground has us off the point... well now we all have a poorly chosen implant and are handicapped.

Thirdly, we absolutely can't expect to use this in public-open ops if the strat depends on everyone doing it. For example, the entire squad having safefall to jump off a cliff. Some pubbies just won't have it or be able to switch to it in a timely fashion. This could work in TG-only ops though, but to make timely gear swaps we should be pre-warned to make a the loadout in one of our gear slots ahead of time, or else it'll take 5 minutes to get everyone switched over, implants found and bought and ranked, etc.

Last I can think of, once someone decides "safefall" for example is important for everyone to have, people will burn their saved ISO-4 on it, and it'll be a long time before a different implant can be the important one to have, because unless you play hours every day, ISO-4 comes slow. So if we decide on an implant we want everyone to have, choose wisely, we won't get a lot of people choosing a second one any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Boildown View Post
          There's additional downsides.
          Being micromanaged isn't fun (imo), telling people which implant to use in addition to which rocket launcher to carry, which suit slot, which utility... it goes too far and is a reason I for one don't group at times. Especially when the tactical benefit isn't obvious or frequently ends up being a mistake (like bringing exclusively dumbfires to a long range fight, a mistake which TG leaders insist upon making all the time).
          I am sorry to hear that... squad leaders do make mistakes like everyone does. The "frequent" part is the part that bothers me. SLs should not make such basic equipment mistakes very often. I am also sorry such mistakes have caused you to not join squads...

Turning to micromanagement, it is not a yes/no issue. One man's micro-management is another's attention to detail... Feel free to lead a squad if you want one run differently. But that is an issue that could be its own thread.

As to implants, the focus of this thread, you seem to be arguing the examples I provided are not tactically useful... But even if my examples are wrong or you disagree with them, my general premise remains: implants are an area that--to my knowledge-- we have not thought about at the squad level. It is an issue that could be least be thought about from a squad perspective. Feel free to provide better ways that implants could be used to help the squad.

Comment

i'm sorry if I'm shooting down, not my intent, but there's so little discussion here I kind of hope to spark something.

But first on micromanagement, its the homogenization of loadouts that ignores players personal talents / skills that bothers me, is unfun, and IMO makes us weaker. For example, when everyone has dual purpose lockons, we can't deal with a harasser that surprises us from close range. When everyone has a dumbfire, we can't deal with a liberator bombing us unexpectedly. Better to let everyone bring what they prefer and know that you'll likely always have someone able to deal with everything, or better yet ask everyone what they prefer and make sure you have a bit of everything. Going all the way one way or all the way the other, as TG squads usually do, is IMO usually a mistake. Situationally dependent of course: Liberators aren't a threat in a biolab defense, so reminding everyone to carry a dumbfire there is fine.

By the same principle, asking everyone to use the same implants should be a situational thing, not a regular thing (imo). As I said, if we decide we want everyone to have certain implants available, we need to consider it carefully which ones we want them to have, because asking everyone to get Safefall maxed out will mean we can't realistically ask everyone to have Ammo Printer maxed out a week later. If we make this a thing, and Heleana says, "ok, everyone equip Fortify for this point room defense", and then a week later you say "everyone equip safefall for this flaking manuever", you're going to get a lot of "I already spent all my ISO-4 on Fortify for Heleana last week".

Maybe make a list of "hey guys we think you should have all of the following implants maxed out in case the SL asks you to equip them". That way we know what to focus on when we have spare ISO-4. But again I caution that required implants are to me unfun and micromanage-y. Situational implants, just like any specific loadout, are fun if used sparingly and appropriately.

Comment

I think that it would be fun to incorporate things like the Safe Fall implant. I know that I have been in one of Garthra's squads that used it to pretty good effect. We were attacking a player base on Indar. It was well surrounded by canyon walls. We equipped the Safe Fall implant and used it to descend the canyon plateaus safely until we had a good vantage from above.

I do think that we need to consider as Boildown said the rarity of the implant and the required level. Not all implants have to be max level to be useful to the squad. Depending on the goal not everyone has to have it as well. In TG players are expected to swap classes to fulfill the needs of the squad and I see swapping classes to get enough of the implant as really no different. The swaps don't have to be permanent either.

Overall I think it would be good to test new ideas such as implant usage in squads.

Comment

The base level of Safefall is 20 meters... that's a 5 story office building. So even level 1 might be good enough for that tactic, and if that's a common implant, safe to say everyone probably has it.

On a side note, with rank 5 you can fall 750 feet, land on your feet, and not die... that's hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Boildown View Post
                  On a side note, with rank 5 you can fall 750 feet, land on your feet, and not die... that's hilarious.
                  I never actually knew how far the last rank was. That IS a long way.

Comment

With regards to safe fall, while it has great tactical application - this would in my opinion be circumvented by a targeted drop by air transport, or tactical drop by a fairy with squad beacon. with things like 20% damage reduction,automatic spotting or alternatives, aside from a very specific action/situation this would not likely be that effective. This is only my opinion of course - But for example, a player base you can stealth in there, or fly over into it. One beacon can do the work of a whole squad with this implant.

Fortify does actually sounds like a really solid one to have, but for example my medic having mending field and deploying a shield regen device can give the same sort of effect, a hardlight barrier preventing all damage until its broken, and correct fields of cover nullifying the source of damage - adding shield bonuses and regen to this would be awesome.

Ocular shield in my opinion is a wasted slot, Purely because I have learned to recognise what grenades look like what, and the game is quite good at allowing protection from corners or crouch cover. Meaning if your hit by those grenades its because your mate didn't call out the nade, you didn't run for cover, or your killed because you were pointing the wrong way. If i'm facing the enemy and I get hit by a stun or flash, I crouch and my shotgun or saw starts firing until I am no longer effected, chances are they get the hit, run from cover into flying death.

Comment

Ocular Shield can be very useful if you are running Bionics. Instead of having all your shields instantly depleted by an EMP, you'll only lose about 30% and after waiting a few seconds your shields will be back to full again.

Comment

Ahh now that, is significantly better - I was unaware that would impact the effect. - Iv not been so lucky as to find anything other then one gold implant like that, I used to get rewards at almost every alert now I can go for months without so much as a decal.

Comment

Originally posted by Assault9 View Post
                          Ocular Shield can be very useful if you are running Bionics. Instead of having all your shields instantly depleted by an EMP, you'll only lose about 30% and after waiting a few seconds your shields will be back to full again.
                          Wow really? That's kinda awesome.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X