Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware requirements for reasonable performance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware requirements for reasonable performance?

My Planetside experience thus far has been a rather miserable one, and it's all due to the low FPS I'm seeing.

Running the game on all low settings, I'm usually getting 25-35 FPS in empty areas, but dip into the 15-20 range during battles. I've dropped as low as 6fps in particularly pitched, crowded encounters -- a level I consider to be utterly unplayable.

My machine isn't exactly a beast, but I wouldn't call it an antique, either: Phenom II X4 3.1GHz, 16GB of DDR3, an SSD primary drive, and a GTX 465.
    Is this all about my just not having sufficiently l33t hardware for this game, or is there something to be done in terms of settings that might boost my enjoyment? What sort of FPS numbers are you seeing, and on what sort of hardware?

Thanks!

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: Hardware requirements for reasonable performance?

Hey, I dip down to 25-30 fps in major battles and my rig IS a beast. I run on all high setting though.

Intel [email protected]
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mobo
    16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    XFX Radeon HD [email protected]
    120GB Kingston HyperX SSD (Windows drive)
    120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD (game drive)

I'm sure the huge drops is on account of the servers themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
      My Planetside experience thus far has been a rather miserable one, and it's all due to the low FPS I'm seeing.

Running the game on all low settings, I'm usually getting 25-35 FPS in empty areas, but dip into the 15-20 range during battles. I've dropped as low as 6fps in particularly pitched, crowded encounters -- a level I consider to be utterly unplayable.

My machine isn't exactly a beast, but I wouldn't call it an antique, either: Phenom II X4 3.1GHz, 16GB of DDR3, an SSD primary drive, and a GTX 465.
      Is this all about my just not having sufficiently l33t hardware for this game, or is there something to be done in terms of settings that might boost my enjoyment? What sort of FPS numbers are you seeing, and on what sort of hardware?

Thanks!

I'd almost bet the farm that it's your CPU causing it.

I had the same issue, and I upgraded my CPU and it went away. They have a lot more optimization that needs to be done to the game to get the older CPU's to start working better.

Comment

PU Arch : 1 CPU - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
        CPU PSN : Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
        CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2), EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX
        CPUID : 6.A.7 / Extended : 6.2A
        CPU Cache : L1 : 4 x 32 / 4 x 32 KB - L2 : 4 x 256 KB
        CPU Cache : L3 : 8192 KB
        Core : Sandy Bridge (32 nm) / Stepping : D2
        Freq : 4190.94 MHz (99.79 * 42)

MB Brand : ASRock
        MB Model : Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
        NB : Intel Sandy Bridge rev 09
        SB : Intel Z68 rev B3

GPU1 Type : Intel HD Graphics 3000 (GT2+)
        GPU1 Clocks : Core 850 MHz / RAM 0 MHz
        GPU2 Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
        GPU2 Clocks : Core 732 MHz / RAM 1900 MHz
        GPU3 Type : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
        GPU3 Clocks : Core 600 MHz / RAM 900 MHz
        GPU4 Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
        GPU4 Clocks : Core 732 MHz / RAM 1900 MHz

DirectX Version : 11.0
        RAM : 16384 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
        RAM Speed : 665.3 MHz (1:5) @ 9-9-9-24
        Slot 1 : 4096MB (8500)
        Slot 1 Manufacturer : Corsair
        Slot 2 : 4096MB (8500)
        Slot 2 Manufacturer : Corsair
        Slot 3 : 4096MB (8500)
        Slot 3 Manufacturer : Corsair
        Slot 4 : 4096MB (8500)
        Slot 4 Manufacturer : Corsair

My specs and I still get a little stuttering as well.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Some of its server side but that comes and goes, the biggest issue is optimizations. It is getting better, but still not playable in some cases for a lot of people.

Comment

Optimized for hyper threading instead of actual REAL cores.

uses 1.5 cores of my 6 core cpu....even then it only loads the main core to 70% usage
            Video card is never pushed more than 45-55%

I hate to say it but it looks like they have coded the game around Nvidia and Intel.....probably got money from them.

amd X6 @ 3.6 ghz
            8 gigs DDR3 1600
            amd 6970 2 gig card

19 fps in a battle with maybe 8 guys.....

I walked away from this game because its just way to frustrating. My rig is no beast but can still max out any new release with 60fps+ in HEAVY action. Not about to upgrade to play this game.
            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't get to upset at this moment, as the game has improved optimizations over the course of the beta. It use to be pretty bad when beta first came out, its a large scale game, with a lot of background stuff happening.

Comment

It's pretty unreasonable to be upset at this point of production. We're still in CLOSED BETA for crying out loud. Hang in there and let SOE do their work. They've already optimised the crap out of where it used to be after all.

Comment

They've been talking about how it's not very optimized and how they are working on it. I'm sure we'll see an optimized version soon enough.
                  |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

My rig:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz
                    8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
                    EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti (overclocked to 900MHz GPU Clock and 2106MHz Memory clock, using EVGA Precision X)
                    w/ some no-name Nvidia GT 240 as a PhysX card (I have the GPU PhysX box ticked in the Graphics Options)

Game graphics settings are at medium with a few lows in there and a resolution of 1920x1080.

When I'm by myself, out in the world, I sit at 59 FPS (I have V-sync enabled). In small to medium battles, I drop to the 30-40 FPS range. With large to huge battles, my FPS drops to 15-20. Not ideal, but mostly playable. I have no idea what my CPU and GPU loads are, haven't bothered to look.

I'm sure that SOE will be doing more optimizations, as well as removing debugging code (which chews up clock cycles) to get us better FPS in game. We should all keep in mind that we are in the beta of this game and as such, we will be subjected to low frame rates, as well as weird bugs and glitches.

**edit**

A couple of posts slipped in before I posted, so sorry for parroting the above couple of responses. :o

sigpic

Comment

Check out the tweaks guide here.

One thing that keeps coming up as an issue is to delete you useroptions file after each patch, as apparently this can cause issues.
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I hope they can continue to further improve the optimization, my poor little laptop is having a difficult time.

Former TG-21st
                        Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post

Thanks!
                          Weird, I'm doing a little better it seems on low with a Q66OO thats like 2 or 2.4ghz, 4gig of ddr3, GPU doesn't matter, and a slow as hell harddrive.

I go to 15fps in a very big battle

Comment

Hardware requirements for reasonable performance?

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                            Weird, I'm doing a little better it seems on low with a Q66OO thats like 2 or 2.4ghz, 4gig of ddr3, GPU doesn't matter, and a slow as hell harddrive.

I go to 15fps in a very big battle
                            Hyperthread
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                              Check out the tweaks guide here.

One thing that keeps coming up as an issue is to delete you useroptions file after each patch, as apparently this can cause issues.
                              I followed that guide, but didn't get much (if any) boost in my FPS. What I did notice is that when I drop below 30FPS, I don't "stutter" as much. Meaning that the game is a bit more playable at low FPS.

Thanks for the link, SR! +rep

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...