Possible FPS and rendering fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible FPS and rendering fix

Ok so I have tried this fix and i'm at about 50 FPS at the warpgate and 70-80 FPS outside of it. Basically go into your planetside 2 folder, I download from the PS2 site so mine is located under Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games/Planetside 2. Once you open that file scroll towards the bottom and you will find a .ini file called UserOptions, this is a Configuration settings file (side note: if you are unable to edit this folder you may need to open it with word or another editing program) Before making any changes to the folder copy it and paste it in the same location, it will be called UserOptions-copy, the game will not recognise this file and not run it so if you need to go back to default settings prior to changes you just need to delete -copy. Open this file. This is all your current settings, Under rendering you will need to add a line as such: GpuPhysics=0 also under rendering you can adjust the rendering distance mine as a default was -1.00000 I changed that to -1000 since the change I can see much further and aquire targets which helps when playing my infiltrator. I also adjusted the max FPS to 1000 which I will never see but it doesn't hurt. Hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.
    ~Tweet

Re: Possible FPS and rendering fix

Thanks for this, i have my render distance adjusted to but not that high, i will have to try it out. GPUPhysics is refering to PhyX support, which is disabled already, I have it set at 1 which voids the disabling cause i have phyx set up. Fiddle around with all teh settings, you can get some nice FPS boosts
    I use this one, posted by koopaTroopa in another thread. The game still looks great for me with these but i sitll get 50-60 FPS at warp gate and 40-50 everywhere else
    Originally posted by KoopaTroopa View Post

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=5
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=1
    RenderDistance=1000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=60
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=3
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=2
    TerrainQuality=3
    FloraQuality=3
    FloraDistanceScale=2.000000
    ModelQuality=5
    ParticleQuality=2
    ParticleLOD=2
    MotionBlur=1
    BlurQuality=3
    MotionBlurQuality=0
    VerticalFOV=74
    AO=0
    AmbientOcclusionQuality=3
    AOQuality=3
    GpuPhysics=1
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I notice your max FPS is set at 60 are you still able to get higher FPS than that?

Comment

yes, i hit 61 or 62 sometimes
        60 FPS is the max that your eye can take in in normal conditions (movie quality) so i didnt find a point to make it higher, but i will prolly change it cause it cant hurt! :p
        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Movies run at 24 fps normally. Anyway, if you've just got a regular 60hz monitor you really dont need more than 60 fps, as that is the maximum that your monitor will display.

Comment

Originally posted by Feriluce View Post
            Movies run at 24 fps normally. Anyway, if you've just got a regular 60hz monitor you really dont need more than 60 fps, as that is the maximum that your monitor will display.
            do they really? wow i thought it was 60 for full smoothness
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Smoothness in movies and tv come mostly from blur and you being used to 24 fps when watching passively.

Comment

Originally posted by Feriluce View Post
                Smoothness in movies and tv come mostly from blur and you being used to 24 fps when watching passively.
                ooooo
                why do games looks jumpy at 24 fps than? no motion blur?
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Well that, and I'd assume that the fact that you actually control the camera means that responsiveness becomes more important. For instance when you watch a youtube video of a game, it feels pretty smooth even if its only 30 fps.

Comment

Films and motion pictures are typically shot at 24p. Which is choppier than 60p-- the difference is noticeable. But for most people 24p is the preferred framerate for that kind of content. You want to feel that "movie magic" and don't necessarily want to feel like you're actually there. And it is what has been done for decades. On that note, Peter Jackson just shot The Hobbit in 48p. It's been a REALLY big deal in the industry. Some people love it because it makes it feel more realistic, some people hate it for the same reason.

Pretty much any TV that you buy nowadays has a setting called true motion or something similar selected by default. Especially if it's a 120 Hz TV. That pretty much makes the image look like it is 60p or it might be 120p (not sure exactly which-- haven't done enough research into it). Any way, it makes a film look TERRIBLE. And my eyes detect it immediately and I find the setting as quickly as I can to turn it off. I'd rather just not watch it if I couldn't turn it off.

Television here in the US is the equivalent to 30 frames per second (it's actually 60i, which means two interlaced images per frame.. 60/2 = 30 complete frames). For many other countries, it is the equivalent to 25 frames per second (50i) for television. There's also progressive versions of them, which is preferred any way. So that would just be 30p and 25p.

Sports is really one of the few settings where it might be preferable to watch at 60p or higher. Since there's more action, and that would mean less motion blur at a higher framerate. In other cases, one might shoot something at a higher frame rate, like 60p or 120p, but just to be able to conform it down to the standard framerate they are working in (30p, for example). This is what makes slow motion. So shooting at 60p and conforming that to 30p would give me 1/2 speed.

So 24 fps is right about the minimum that the human eye needs to see a continuous image. This goes for video, the little red status lights on electronics, light sources, etc. Much lower and your eyes will perceive each individual frame as a separate picture. But the eye can certainly detect higher than 24 frames. I doubt it can go much higher than 60 fps, though. Plus like someone said, if your monitor is 60 Hz, then 60 fps is the highest that it can display. It's still good to have some headroom for big firefights where your fps drop.

Is there a command in the game where I can display my framerate? I don't really like using external programs for it.

Comment

Alt + F will display in game Frame Rates

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
                        Is there a command in the game where I can display my framerate? I don't really like using external programs for it.
                        I believe it is Left Alt + F.

Edit: Damnit Tweet! lol

"You have to go out, you don't have to come back."

Dredgeisms: "NO! GoNooowwwBARRELROLL!" - "There WILL be NO desync!"

Comment

I had no idea about the frame rate and what the monitor could handle etc etc. But I do notice in "laggy" situations my FPS does drop. So I guess with that in mind if your max is 60 and high populated areas makes your FPS drop does it compensate to keep 60 FPS? Or does it still drop like mine when im at 80 or 90 FPS?

Comment

The FPS drop has nothing to do with your monitor, and everything to do with the stress on your CPU and GPU. Those "laggy" situations are putting additional strain on them, more cycles to render the images, to process the information. That slows the whole thing down, thus the lower FPS. It's going to drop no matter what, depending on your system, your game settings, and how well the game itself has been optimized (which means how good it is at having reduced the number of operations that it requires). Having FPS higher than 60 on a monitor whose Hz is 60 is meaningless, though perhaps allowing it to be higher might slightly, slightly remove a tiny amount of strain on the GPU, but I don't know about that.

The other thing you all need to do is ensure none of your CPUs parked, go google it. That, and when you start the game, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to access the Task Manager, go to Processes, find Planetside2.exe, right click, go to Priorities, and set the priority to High. This tells your CPU to prioritize that process over other processes, therefore giving Planetside more "attention."

Comment

I've heard that getting FPS over 60 is beneficial for 60hz monitors, as that lets the monitor select the frame that fits best between the adjacent frames, but I doubt the difference is something that I would notice.

One of the nice things about the in-game FPS display is that it will indicate whether your FPS is currently being bottlenecked by your CPU or GPU. Planetside 2 is very CPU-intensive. If you're limited by CPU from the outset, lowering your graphics settings won't make much of a difference. A rule of thumb for PS2 has been to raise your graphical settings until you're limited by GPU outside of battle and CPU during battle, for the best mix of performance and appearance.

On a side note, if you haven't seen The Hobbit in HFR yet, do it. You will definitely notice the difference and love it or hate it, it is impressive. Personally I thought it was great, but it's a real shocker when you first see it!
                              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X