Hardware question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware question.

Since the last large patch, I have been having random crashes due to Overheating. Do not have this problem with any other title, and all my fans are working properly. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening only while playing PS2?
    sigpic

Re: Hardware question.

Sorry to hear that. If it's only happening in PS2 what is leading you to believe it is definitely overheating, rather than a crash that displays the same symptoms? Are you running temp monitoring software? Describe the symptoms and provide any other info you can, ie what error messages you get or find in the Event Logs etc.

Comment

It usually happens with there is a ton of stuff going on in game. The moment it crashes, and starts rebooting I go into Bios and check CPU temp, it's at about 48C. I started doing this when I noticed the back of my case was warm to touch. My case is usually room temp or colder to touch. No error messages, which tells me it's my MB powering off to save the CPU. Finally, no other game seems to tax my system or cause the fans to work as hard as PS2 does. I'm thinking of going to a liquid system just to see if that will fix this.
      sigpic

Comment

Oddly, the last patch fixed my woes as you are having now...
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I ran PS2 with my new overclocked video card, and PS2 crashed repeatedly. Keep in mind I also stress tested the GPU with Heaven Benchmark, Furmark, etc and it never crashed. So PS2 seems rather senstive to hot cards and overclocking.

Comment

48c is not going to shut down your PC. After upgrading, mine sometimes reaches 70c without any problems. I have my video card overclocked-no problems there either.

You should have some active monitoring for heat, like Speedfan. The time it takes to reboot the PC and get into BIOS allows it enough time to cool off and not give a relevant reading. You want to get a reading *as soon* as the game crashes.
            |TG-6th|Belhade
            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

Originally posted by Xen View Post
              It usually happens with there is a ton of stuff going on in game. The moment it crashes, and starts rebooting I go into Bios and check CPU temp, it's at about 48C. I started doing this when I noticed the back of my case was warm to touch. My case is usually room temp or colder to touch. No error messages, which tells me it's my MB powering off to save the CPU. Finally, no other game seems to tax my system or cause the fans to work as hard as PS2 does. I'm thinking of going to a liquid system just to see if that will fix this.
              What CPU do you have, Xen? I'm currently running an AMD Phenom II 955 quad core and its max temperature is listed as 62 C on the product page. I haven't paid much attention to my CPU temp when running Ps2, but I have seen it over 50 C in the past and have had no problems.

I haven't had much luck in finding official info on what the max temp of an Intel chip is but, I don't think 48 C would be too hot. That, of course, is just my opinion and shouldn't be considered fact.

Something else to consider: The temp you are seeing in your BIOS is, most likely, lower than the hottest temp the chip experienced. In the time that your system crashed and was rebooting, there is not much load on the processor and the fan is still running, causing the chip to cool. As an example, I've watched the temp of my GPU go from >60 C to +/- 40C in less than a minute after exiting a game.

**edit**

Damn research.. caused me to be ninja'd by Belhade. :)

**/edit**

Originally posted by QuantumQrack View Post
              I ran PS2 with my new overclocked video card, and PS2 crashed repeatedly. Keep in mind I also stress tested the GPU with Heaven Benchmark, Furmark, etc and it never crashed. So PS2 seems rather senstive to hot cards and overclocking.
              Strange. I have an eVGA GTX 560Ti that I've OC'd and have had no issues with crashing. Maybe dial down your OC a little?

sigpic

Comment

I am running an AMD FX 6100 with 12 gigs DDR 3 RAM and the NVidia GTX 550Ti. All fans are running properly.
                sigpic

Comment

I've always used Coretemp to monitor my CPU. I also hit high 50's on a few games with an I5 750 oc'd to about 3.9 and its never been an issue, even going into the 60's. Hell the CPU cooler got clogged once and it hit 94, all it did was throttle until I could shut down, no crash, no damage.

D/l Coretemp and watch it in real time. May as well grab GPU-Z at the same time and watch your GPU too.

Good luck.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X