Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FPS Boost ( Went from playing on all Low settings to Ultra)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS Boost ( Went from playing on all Low settings to Ultra)

Looked around after hearing of people having great results from changing their PS2 Ini File to all Ultra settings, except for shadows which is kept on Low; and having the FPS either stay around the same, or even increase. I gave it a try, and my FPS is either the same as before or even slightly better in some instances, so I recommend if you have a half way decent machine to give this a try.

To find your Ini file go to....... Computer, C, Users, Public, SOE, Installed Games, Planetside2, UserOptions.Ini. {Open with Notepad or something like it.}

Change it to something like this;

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=5
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=1
    RenderDistance=1000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=5
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=5
    TerrainQuality=5
    FloraQuality=5
    ModelQuality=5
    ParticleLOD=5
    MotionBlur=0
    AO=1
    VerticalFOV=65

Let me know what your results are. When you first change this and load in, give the game a few minutes to load everything up before you instantly change the settings again. The first few minute or so my FPS was low, then it got better.

Re: FPS Boost ( Went from playing on all Low settings to Ultra)

I think this belongs in the Technical support sub-forum
    http://www.tacticalgamer.com/planets...-support-faqs/

I have had great success with a modded .ini config ever since early in release, i had better graphics than low, and i had better FPS than low somehow :p

I am going to toy around with mine, as the optimization has greatly improved since the last one I used.
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I wasn't sure where to put this, I figured this wasn't a question on why something is broken and that more people would see this in here then in the Technical Support. Sorry if this was put in the wrong spot.

Comment

What are your hardware specs? I'm running a quad core 2.4 with a 6850. Curious what you meant by halfway decent machine.

Comment

True. This good stuff gets buried in the tech support forum sometimes!

Perhaps a "best of" or Recent news thread in General ??
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
            What are your hardware specs? I'm running a quad core 2.4 with a 6850. Curious what you meant by halfway decent machine.
            8 Gigs of basic Ram
            ATI HD 5900 Video Card
            Intel i5 2.67 Processor
            Windows 7 64-Bit

Nothing really that fancy, and nothing is overclocked.

I also Unparked my CPU so it wouldn't hold back to save power. It shouldn't hurt your CPU like overclocking could possibly cause. Website (coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility)

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

I think that would be a good idea, until today I have never looked in the Technical support part of the forums since I never really had any problems with PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

totally agree XD i actually felt a little funny saying it was in the wrong section :p i just saw other ones in here before, and thought it belonged here

im running i7 930 @2.8ghz, 6850, and 8gb of ram

i started putting everythign on high in the game and im getting like 25-30 fps during battles, which i dont really mind, but imma do some ini changes went i get a chance to test
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I had fps problems as well, and then I learned shadows put a huge strain on fps and the difference between low and high is almost nothing. Once I did that I had a giant boost in fps with very little sacrifice in how well the game looked.

Comment

Don't feel bad guys.

I have an AMD FX 6200 6core 3.8ghz-4.1ghz turbo, 16gigs ram, 7950 card and still get S$#@ frame rates. Oh and my motherboard is kick ass to but i can't remember the spec # of it off the top of my head.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                      Don't feel bad guys.

I have an AMD FX 6200 6core 3.8ghz-4.1ghz turbo, 16gigs ram, 7950 card and still get S$#@ frame rates. Oh and my motherboard is kick ass to but i can't remember the spec # of it off the top of my head.
                      optimization is still horrible than XD
                      what do you play on todd?
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

FPS wise I get roughly 30-80 at warp gate, and in a big fight it goes up and down between 10-40. It is so erratic it drives me nuts.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
                          FPS wise I get roughly 30-80 at warp gate, and in a big fight it goes up and down between 10-40. It is so erratic it drives me nuts.
                          yeah :/ i tried high with shadows at low....got 50-20 depending on area (low in big battles)
                          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Many of those '5' settings will default to '4' once you're in-game, but it doesn't hurt.

I'd like to emphasise the texturequality=0, partially because it seems counterintuitive, partially because it apparently has little to no impact, and partially because PS2 has some really ugly textures. :P

Apparently, Shadows in Planetside 2 are done at least partially by the CPU, which is why turning them down gives such a boost. I hate turning down shadows and having pop-in while I'm driving though, so I'll live with the occasional 30fps fight.

The benefit of having mediocre computers up until university is that I've not been spoiled by 60 fps. :P It's not until it gets into the 20s that I'm bothered.
                            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

i tested out with shadows the oter day and realized what you said strait, i love seeing shadows and
                              not having them fade, ive decided to have graphics detail on high, shadows on high, textures on high, and anything that doesnt make my
                              fps drop much, cause playing at 40fps and dipping doesnt bother me neither
                              |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X