Who is Online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Who is Online?

I've got a .htm file I've been using to tell me who in the outfit is online (txt file attached below). It uses the Outfitpoints.Com API. It's rather faster than loading up the SOE player website, and logging in. Is there a way we can sticky a post that would do this? I don't think the forums allows us to embed javascript into posts, so I was thinking I could render the list as an image dynamically and then we could just embed the image in a forum post.

Rename the attached text file extension to .htm and open it in your browser of choice. PS2 Who Is Online.txt
    Last edited by CoiledTortoise; 10-20-2013, 01:53 PM.

Re: Who is Online?

Cool Thanks Coiled!!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, cool man! Repped.

I already have a simple text/html based bookmark structure that automatically syncs across all devices, so this fits right into that nicely. Can check now from any computer, phone, tablet, etc.

Any way in that API to tell if an alert is going on? Or am I asking for too much now? lol
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
        Any way in that API to tell if an alert is going on? Or am I asking for too much now? lol
        I had a quick look at the SOE API (http://census.soe.com/) and unfortunately not, which I can sort of understand. It could result in players only logging on for the alert, and leave the server empty the rest of the time.

Comment

Yeah, I figured as much.

FYI, for anyone interested, closest I found to something like that during previous research was a thread on Sony's PS2 forums where people would post up when an alert went off. I suppose you could subscribe to that thread. Of course you would be counting on other people to report.
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Brilliant Coiled, thanks for this!

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

I can't get it to work yet. I have renamed it correctly. It shows me a blank browser window with only this text: "Powered by Outfitpoints.com"

Using chrome with adblockplus.

+
              I would love to see this on the right side of the planetside2 forum; alwyas a list of outfitmembers online!

Comment

Thats what it shows when no one is online. Which, unfortunately, seems to be the case some times nowadays.

OTOH, the script could potentially hit some advertising when it makes it's calls? Pure speculation here, but try and turn off adblock temporarily and see if that does anything.

One other thing I wanted to throw out there, everyone should be aware that several people may be starting to use this now in our outfit before deciding whether to fire up PS2 or not. I know I do some times. But if everyone does that, no one may ever get on. lol So, don't hesitate to get in game and idle, maybe some people will see you and decide to get on.

Comment

I run the adblock Plus extension and have had no problems with the script. I'm thinking that what you're seeing, Al, is that no-one in the Outfit is currently online.

Something else of note, in addition to Randy's comments, is that when you see a fellow Outfit member on, try and squad up. Not only does that get the TG squad rolling, hooking up with a fellow Outfit member, even if you don't personally know them, is a great way to make new friends and keep the Tactical Gamer Community strong and healthy!

sigpic

Comment

Good points MK.

On the script, I've had to hit refresh a couple of times before it would populate the list so sometimes folks are on but it can show a blank page.

Comment

I don't know if android has a version of it but there is an iPhone app I have that let's me talk in outfit comms and see who is online and shows full maps of all continents and alerts and stats and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                        Something else of note, in addition to Randy's comments, is that when you see a fellow Outfit member on, try and squad up. Not only does that get the TG squad rolling, hooking up with a fellow Outfit member, even if you don't personally know them, is a great way to make new friends and keep the Tactical Gamer Community strong and healthy!
                        +1

It seems to me that if certain people are not on (the usual suspect SL/PLs, you know who you are) that people will not form squads. You don't have to be a great leader to squad up together. If you are going to derp around anyway, you might as well derp around with your outfit mates. :) Just be clear that it's a casual squad, or that you are new to SLing, etc. I don't think anyone will mind, nor hold you to a high standard of expectations/results as a new SL. Just have fun. Then you also get to do whatever you like, whether that's air, armor, infantry, harasser squad, ghost capping with a small squad on an unpopulated continent, etc.

I have found that most people in our outfit (and in game in general) are pretty OK just doing whatever. So form up some squads, get to know each other, and have fun. Doing more casual ops during non prime time / not during alerts are great times to BS around and socialize and get to know people. Shoot, sometimes I get in game more to socialize than anything else. :) And some of the best times we have had in game were late night bull sessions at the warpgate with Jengles and IronMan (and others) after a long night of ops, sort of doing an AAR, discussing tactics, and just chatting really.

If you are concerned you are not the best SL, and you just want to be casual, then leave recruiting to Outfit only. This way, you don't have to worry about representing TG as you would in a regular open / recruiting squad.
                        Last edited by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL; 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Id love to see more of what Mindkill and Randy are saying here.

I'd add, if you are running this sort of squad and see me, or a typical PL/SL connecting, ask them immediately if they wan to take it (if you want to have someone take over). (BEST IN PM; that way you don't diminish your authority.)

I don't know about the others, but when I connect I may be feeling like SL/PL-ing, but I've noticed that if I don't start that within an hour or so, I tend to not take SL/PL anymore that night. I sort of get comfortable in the SM role, it get's later, and the platoon is being run differently then I would.... I'll also feel like I don't want to force everyone to suddenly drop the style of the night, and do something I was planning.

Comment

The URL is working for me now. As randy said it was because no one was online that it wasn't working.

Comment

I don't suppose anyone knows what other information this API gives access to? perhaps territory control and population? If i had some detailed information like that I'd love to build a strategist AI.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X