OMFG introduces major lag?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMFG introduces major lag?

Yesterday I was in a fire fight on Amerish at Substation with 48+ on both sides in a territory alert. I was doing my usual sniping when all of a sudden I was hit with major lag. I mean the kind of lag that takes you 3 full seconds to actual scope someone...........ya hit the zoom and then you get a black screen for 3 seconds and apparently the person that you see is where they were 3 seconds ago. I have the extreme broadband connection, a i7 2500 with 16 gig mem, a GTX 780...........and can play BF4 and ARMA3 at ultra settings so it's not my rig or card. I noticed Zepkon bouncing all over the map yesterday as well and was actually run over by him twice because of the latency. Is everyone experiencing this?

Re: OMFG introduces major lag?

I was crashing often throughout the alert yesterday so I might have missed this, but our 'platoon' was in that fight and I did not, myself experience this. Could it have been server side? Or just a wonky client-server connection for that moment?

Comment

I remember you mentioning you were lagging Rage. I was getting a little lag during the alert as well but not as bad you described. Also Ytman, man you were crashing more then I crash a reaver. I kept getting Platoon leader, lucky for me it was armor so I had no problem leading it. I did end up crashing right after the alert.

Comment

That may have been me passing through the area, I have been connecting through my 4G mobile hotspot lately instead of the usual land line fiber...
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have been experiencing more crashes than lag lately; however, today on Indar during an alert the enemy was staying where they should but the kill notification was delayed by 1+ seconds.

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
          ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Yeah I have seen some lag, but it may be from those newer people who got some nicer PCs for Christmas and are trying out Free to Play games, so they can test it out.
            Questions about those who deserve it!
            "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

I've actually sniped people at distance and had them hit the ground like a sack of rocks and get no score. Nothing, na da..........now you might think that it was just an amazing coincidence that I happen to be be shooting the person the exact same time someone else did and they killed him a split second before my bullet got there. And that's entirely possible............except this has happened many times, and with as many EM4 shots as I have fired I know the timing of when my shot gets there. And it's usually right at render distance too............

Comment

SOE has recently been experiencing some serious server problems as of late. That's all I really know but, these problems aren't exclusive.

Comment

Today the Matterson server got shut down for 10-15 minutes. Maybe 15 of us got on TE and were discussing it. Although it was solved reasonably fast, this game is getting hectic.
                  Questions about those who deserve it!
                  "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

I've noticed the BR rating going down with a lot of player on the servers now. It could be there is a new influx of players after people received new computers for the holidays too.

edit: I just checked http://sirisian.com/planetside2/population.php and there appears to indeed be an increase of players over the holidays, the holidays with standing that means it should drop before too long again. But it brings up an interesting discussion of how did OMFG actually help if the server issues encountered occurred because of an influx (and not that great of an influx) in new players happened. Overall pops are still down from the beginning of the year.

Comment

There's reporting out there that since about the first of the year, the servers have been getting hit with a ddos from a hacker group.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ervers.165884/

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/news/ddos-...ainment-games/

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ervers.165824/

Comment

Originally posted by penandpencilman View Post
                        I have been experiencing more crashes than lag lately; however, today on Indar during an alert the enemy was staying where they should but the kill notification was delayed by 1+ seconds.
                        That is server lag. Nothing else, nothing to do with clients.

@ bolivian, it is impossible for other people to give you lag. Inspite of 15 years of online gaming, people still believe this urban legend. All you can get is individual players lagging if they have slow pc/connection.

@ RAge, I haven't seen the lag you describe, and my system can barely run this. Either those phenomenon are bugs, or server issues. Also small chance ot crossfire set-ups causing problems (throughtou ps2 history in general) or physiscs. THey haven't got physics working properly since launch. I believe current recommendation is turning it off.

Comment

Al I understand it's server lag, and that's the point. They spent 3 months stopping everything else (including Hossin) to work on OMFG to improve the speed by doing things that actually should have been done in the beginning (Game Development 101). Such as instead of having 15 tile objects let's make 1 that looks like 15 kind of stuff. But game lag comes partly from the game engine trying to render the various objects so.........the larger the battles (hence more objects) the greater the lag.

I expect a certain amount of lag based on those issues that aren't part of the game engine, since they went through this whole OMFG to improve it, but I certainly didn't expect more lag. I think Drona hit on a important issue with the server attacks............looks like now they are pushing Hossin out to this summer (which will be 8 months late).

If anything I just wished they'd do what they said they were gonna do, when they said they were gonna do it. I don't really care if they dummy down the game because there will always be a game within a game that the more skilled players can play.

Comment

If it is a DDOS though... Imagine how difficult it might be to keep a server safe from botnets attacks probably from all over the world, ... whilst at the same time keep your server connected to clients all over the world at optimal speed. Imo if it IS DDOS, then they probably did just an amazing job keeping the server up.

Still remains that I have not had such lag, as you described with the scoping in. Unless you have it all the time, I wouldn't give it much thought, as it probably was a rare occurrence whatever the cause.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X